What g1 transformers toys should i get first

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Trypticon, Nov 2, 2009.

1. G1Trypticon

G1Trypticon Banned

I thought about collecting g1 transformer toys now. I wanted to start with 1984 toy line and yes i know how expensive and rare they are sometimes to find. But what transformers from that line should i collect first. Give me a good order of transformers to start collecting first. I know it is up to me but give me suggestions still out of the 1984 line what transformers should i get first. If you want to you can give me suggestions from 1985-1987 lines suggestion toys i should begin to collect from those lines too after i collect all the transformers from the 84 line if i can. Just give me toy suggestions that were from the animated series.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Optimus Prime for starters.

3. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Sideswipe, Prowl, Prime are all good to start with.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Prime and Megatron are pretty much a given, I'd say. Jetfire is awesome, still offering acceptable posability by modern standards. You should be able to pick up Minibots pretty cheap, and they'll look good displayed with something like Metroplex. Soundwave is good, and there have been a few recent reissues that should keep the cost down. After those, I'd start on the Autobot cars. Maybe get one Seeker to see if you like the mold, no point buying what is essentially six of the same mold only to find you don't like it.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Soundwave with some cassette-bots. It's still the best Soundwave there is.

Prowl/Smokescreen (I prefer Smokescreen), Jazz, Optimus.

Blitzwing.

Look for some minibots including Bumblebee. It's best to buy a bunch of them at a time.

6. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Depends on whether you want to buy the more expensive things first or test the waters on the cheaper things and see if you like them.

If it's the latter then you may want to look into the reissues of G1. Most are pretty much identical to the originals and cost half the price. Although there are some early reissues that have gone up in cost, you can find some of the later ones for a decent deal. Trailbreaker, Soundwave, Rachet, Ironhide - they are all still priced in the $30-$60 range.

If, however, you want originals only and price isn't an object then you might as well get the combiners out of the way. Predaking and Devastator are good to start with. They aren't too flimsy when combined and they (for me anyway) have asthetic value and playability.

You want to mix and match between reissues and originals, then you can amass a decent collection in no time (take a look at my collection, link is below my sig - it's a mix and might give you some ideas).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

I think that instead of listening to the peanut gallery, you should go to any given site that hosts pictures of the generation one figures and literally go shopping. Of course as a proud member of said gallery, I base all of my purchases on how cool I think the toy looks mostly in robot mode with a smaller concern of the "vehicle" mode. I missed many years of collection from the late nineties until about five months ago, and all of the toys that I have bought have been based solely upon how they look, with the occasional exception with a favorite character whom I wasn't as happy with as I would of liked to be.

I think there is a lot of individuality in collecting Transformers, one should take ones own interests and expressions into account before letting others dictate what to collect and what not to.

BUY HUFFER AND TRAILBREAKER, NOW!!!

End of Line

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Prime and Cliffjumper.

9. G1Trypticon

G1Trypticon Banned

thanks guys what transfotmers should i start with in the 1985 line minus the transformers from the year that were not in the animated series.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    85? tracks and the triplechangers, smokescreen, hoist, the conehead seekers

11. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

id say look in junk and mixed lots on ebay. you'll get a lot cheaper deals on good bots, and itll give u a chance to find some pieces and parts that will come in handy down the road in your collection!

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    fort max is a solid bot

13. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

get G1 prime

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Why not start with whatever you can get as a reissue right now? Insecticons and Perceptor might be a good start.

15. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

That's actually what I was going to suggest too. G1 is one of those things that some people think they will like and then decide they don't and vice-versa which makes it a good idea to "test the waters" if you haven't already. From the original line I would say Shockwave is a fun choice and from the 85' line Perceptor is a very solid choice, (so unless your just dead set on an original one you can save some money by going with the reissue ^_^.)

16. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    84'-optimus prime and soundwave
    85'-any dinobot

17. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

start with prime and megatron. cant go wrong with those 2 figs.

18. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

i'd say (after prime and megatron of course) get ironhide, hound, or wheeljack. those guys are just oozing with g1 goodness. after that just hunt'em down acording to which charaters you like best.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

For 1984 I'd start with:

Optimus Prime
    Soundwave w/ any cassettes you can get.
    The seekers: Thundercracker/Starscream/Skywarp
    Megatron

20. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I would go with omega supreme. No g1 collection is complete without him so you will get him eventually. He's a great tf to have and would start you on the right path.