What G1 Molds are Dead?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aey103, Jun 12, 2008.

1. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Energon combiner re-issue thread got me thinking about if Hasbro would have possibly any other plans on a G1 Re-issues after Prime for the 25th anniversary. I could see a nice compliment to Prime being a box set of re-issues containing the entire set movie Autobots. I would love a G1 re-issue of Megs too to go with Prime, but hey US toy gun laws are what they are and I still kind find places selling the Encore re-issue. That got me to then thinking what G1 molds are still available for Hasbro or Takara/Tomy to do Encore Re-issues.

IIRC, Wheeljack and Sunstreaker are lost along with the Dinobots and Shockwave and Jetfire/Skyfire are owned by other companies. So all of those molds would be ruled out. What other molds are dead, lost, MIA, etc? I apologize if this has been asked before because I remember lost molds being brought up before, but has there been a list of all the lost molds comprised?

2. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Nobody is entirely certain, but Wheeljack, Mirage, and Sunstreaker are said to be lost or destroyed, while the Dinobot molds are simply "missing", according to Hasbro's panel at Botcon.

3. barricade13

barricade13 Member

This might be a stupid question, but why can't they make new molds?

I would ASSuME Hasbro would have some of the original toys that they could base the molds out of.

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, all they'd have to do is find and reverse engineer the toys, that's how all the KO's are being made. They could just do the same & use better plastic. I also think the Devestator mold is gone.

5. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

Maybe they could change the molds too, like give them better articulation etc. etc. I know i've seen places on rodimus prime that could have been given articulation, namely, the legs.

6. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, that would require more of their design team to be pulled away from the movie/universe/animated lines that they currently support.

I'd be more happy if they would just design new versions of the characters instead of attempting to find or re-engineer older molds. For the ones they already have, I would love to see the US reissue line return.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  7. mat`amit

mat`amit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i still hope they would re-engineer the lost molds, i would give chance to those like me who didn't have the chance to get them during their original release

8. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    I know GaiHawk and HellBat from the Breastforce are missing. Thats why they were never released with the rest of the rescue force in the UK.

9. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    jetfire is dead, due to rights

10. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

I remember reading news about Aoshima releasing G1 Roadbuster as a kit sometime back. Any idea who owns the rights to the Dorvack figures now?

11. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Autobot
    Mirage
    Sunstreaker
    Wheeljack
    Grimlock
    Sludge
    Snarl
    Swoop
    Slag
    Jetfire
    Omega Supreme (although now available due to Takara/Tomy merger)
    Roadbuster
    Whirl
    Silverbolt
    Air Raid
    Sky Dive
    Slingshot
    Fireflight
    Hot Spot
    First Aid
    Blades
    Groove
    Streetwise

Decepticon
    Shockwave
    Chop Shop
    Barrage
    Venom
    Ransack
    Soundwave (current release is reverse-engineered)
    Scrapper
    Scavenger
    Long Haul
    Bonecrusher
    Mixmaster
    Hook
    Motormaster
    Dead End
    Braekdown
    Dragstrip
    Wildrider

Molds i'm assuming are gone:
    Rumble/Frenzy
    Technobots
    Terrorcons

I made a thread about this a few months back, can be found here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=148643

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nevermind.

13. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I'd hate this idea - they're taking too many liberties at subtly altering some of the moulds already. Some of us want genuine G1 reissues, warts-and-lack of articulation and all!

14. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Um, they have changed the molds on a lot of these, giving them better articulation and whatnot... they call them CLASSICS.

I know they're not the original molds, but they ARE the characters. (Granted no Wheeljack yet, but a lot of characters mentioned do fall into the Classics/Universe line.)

15. Transfan2

Transfan2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Motormaster
    Dead End
    Breakdown
    Dragstrip
    Wildrider
    ^===I think these molds are usable by these statements:
    Talking about Piranacon, the team suggested that if people were in favour of it they might go back and redo other older unreleased toys, for example, the Generation 2 Stunticons. (from Collector's Panel at Botcon 08)

Pete said regarding G2 Menasor/Stunticons being Club Exclusives: "We are looking into it, but we are looking into many different options so who knows..."

-TF2

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I thought that was more because they didn't want three jets in the set?

17. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

They have said at botcon that while making a mold out of a figure can be done, it is not the same quality of a mold from a mold and that they do not want to mess with trying to reverse engineer a mold from a figure and losing quality.

Look at the mess with the JAZZ head reissue.

If they did try it and the quality was less, people would shit bricks and then Hasbro would say 'SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE? We told you so!"

If they can't make a 100% reissue, they said they won't do it. Even if they could do KOs of their own figures and licence them they don't want to.

18. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks.

I too would like for US Re-issues to return but for now I am happy with the Encore Re-issues from TakaraTomy. Definately wouldn't want design team pulled from the new stuff just to have re-issues though.

Same was true for Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme at one point. Maybe some day TakaraTomy would buy out the company that owns the Jetfire/Skyfire mold too (Bandai I think). I am not holding my breath on that though.

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I agree with this. Although I think it would be nice to see some reissues of the key characters from the old series (Cyclonus, Scourge, Wheeljack, Mirage, maybe the Arialbot team) I can also equally dig new, updated versions of these designs.

It'd be awfully cool if they hired on the JizaiToys dude to mass-release that perfect Cyclonus of his, but I think that's wishful thinking.

20. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know, that 25th Anniversary Cyclonus (w/Nightstick!) coming next year looked pretty sweet at Botcon. All-new mold intended to represent the Targetmaster gimmick (and be a more show-accurate version of Cyclonus) as part of the anniversary.