What figures have Energon Combiner Ports / Jacks? Also Ident. help!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by blaynescott, Nov 7, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

The more I mess around with my FP Bruticus, the more I want to make more Energon-port based combiners so I can mix/match (also with some Shapeways adapters, add in PCC stuff to the mix).

However, I really don't know what TF Energon figures have Energon Jacks (the blue male plastic bits), what has the female ports, and what figures just don't have any any.

Is there a definitive list (or some names/pics people can post) of figures that have Energon combiner jacks or ports?

I'd assume it would work out similar to the PCC line where one figure has 4 male ports, and 'limb' type bots would only have a single female jack (?). I'd appreciate the guidance! :) 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• b12.jpg
      b12.jpg
      File size:
      263.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I believe Has/Tak-wise that they're just limited to the three combiner molds: Bruticus, Superion, and Devastator.

You already have Bruticus, so here are the other two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The upcoming "Hercules" from TFC also uses those energon combiner ports.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    There were three original Energon combiner teams with three unique sculpts each.

Construction Team:
    The torso was the excavator. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Scavenger, his Hasbro counterpart Energon Steamhammer and its redeco, Classics Scavenger.
    One of the limb sculpts was the payloader. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Scrapper and Bonecrusher, their Hasbro counterparts Energon Sledge and Bonecrusher and the redecos, Classics Bonecrusher and "Decepticon Scrapper".
    The other limb sculpt was the crane truck. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Gren and Long Haul, their Hasbro counterparts Energon Wideload and Duststorm and the redecos, Classics Hightower and Long Haul.
    The gestalt forms were Takara's Superlink Buildron (available as a giftset only), his Hasbro counterpart Energon Constructicon Maximus (only available separately) and the redeco, Classics "Constructicon Devastator" (available as a giftset only). Energon Steamhammer and Wideload were later also available in Universe 1.0 packaging without any changes other than the packaging.

Air Team:
    The torso was the modified SR-71 Blackbird. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Afterburner, his Hasbro counterpart Energon Storm Jet and its redeco, Universe Silverbolt.
    One of the limb sculpts was the A-10 Thunderbolt II. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Sling and Skydive, their Hasbro counterparts Energon Sky Shadow and Terradive and the redecos, the Transformers Collectors' Club exclusive Timelines Skyfall and Universe Fireflight and Skydive.
    The other limb sculpt was the modified F-22 Raptor. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Air Rider and Firebolt, their Hasbro counterparts Energon Treadshot and Windrazor and the redecos, the Transformers Collectors' Club exclusive Timelines Breakaway and Universe Air Raid and Airazor.
    The gestalt forms were Takara's Superlink Superion (available as a giftset only), his Hasbro counterpart Energon Superion Maximus (only available separately) and the redeco, Universe Superion (available as a giftset only). Energon Storm Jet, Treadshot, Windrazor and Terradive were later also available in Universe 1.0 packaging without any changes other than the packaging. Collectors' Club Skyfall and Breakway were (obviously) available individually only. Universe Superion was available in Universe 2.0 packaging (released in Australia and Singapore) and Revenge of the Fallen packaging (released in the USA as a Target exclusive and in Canada as a Zellers exclusive).

Destruction Team:
    The torso was the armored personnel carrier/mobile missile rack. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Onslaught, his Hasbro counterpart Energon Barricade and the redecos, the Transformers Collectors' Club exclusive Timelines Heatwave (with new combiner head sculpt) and Universe Onslaught.
    One of the limb sculpts was the modified Gepard tank. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Swindle and Brawl, their Hasbro counterparts Energon Blight and Kickback and the redecos, the Transformers Collectors' Club exclusive Timelines Landquake and Universe Blast Off and Brawl.There was also the officially unreleased Target exclusive 2007 Movie Gunbarrel.
    The other limb sculpt was the modified Apache helicopter. Official releases were Takara's Superlink Vorter and Blast Off, their Hasbro counterparts Energon Blackout and Stormcloud and the redecos, the Transformers Collectors' Club exclusive Timelines Topspin and Universe Vortex and Swindle. There was also the officially unreleased Target exclusive 2007 Movie "Decepticon Reverb".
    The gestalt forms were Takara's Superlink Bruticus (available as a giftset only), his Hasbro counterpart Energon Bruticus Maximus (only available separately) and the redeco, Universe Bruticus Maximus (available as a giftset only). Energon Barricade was later also available in Universe 1.0 packaging without any changes other than the packaging. Collectors' Club Heatwave, Landquake and Topspin were (obviously) available individually only. Universe Bruticus Maximus was available in Universe 2.0 packaging (released in Australia and Singapore) and Revenge of the Fallen packaging (released in the USA as a Target exclusive and in Canada as a Zellers exclusive).

Lastly, the gestalt made up of Collectors' Club Heatwave, Breakaway, Skyfall, Landquake and Topspin was Nexus Prime (formerly "Nexus Maximus").

4. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Wow. +1 to you for compiling and hotlinking all that. Fantastic!

I difted out of Transformers during Energon/Cyberton after being a G1 & Beastwars fan growing up - so alot of those figures releases were unknown to me. Thanks for setting everything out. :) 

TJ Duckett: Thanks for the info too - I had no idea the TFC release used Energon ports to connect! Does that mean the limbs are interchangable with the Energon Constructions / other 'official' combiners from that era?

Edit: If those are all the Energon figures that used Energon-type combiner ports - how did the Energon Prime and Superion figures (and the Train combiner?) combine with their parts? Different port-types? I'm trying to determine the best Energon-port type limbs that are available, and some of those look pretty neat. Thanks again for your advice guys!

Attached Files:

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Yes those figures combined differently. Only Bruticus Maximus, Superion Maximus and Constructicon Maximus and their store exclusive TF Movie and ROTF repaints used that combiner feature (hexagonal pegs & ports).
    (Energon OP's arms and lower legs would fit into each of the 4 drones or into Wingsaber. Conbined with Omega Supreme he would just rest in the top while in truck mode with his head sticking out. The deluxe and voyager sized autobot combiners have a "zipper" tab like plug on each figure for combining).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *ahem* Octagonal

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Energon Prime combination:
    Optimus Prime Super Mode - Transformers Energon - YouTube
    That's exactly how the toy does it, minus accurate colors on the drone limbs.

Superion, Bruticus, and Devestator all use the same Octagonal peg/socket connection system, as pointed out, so they can effectively use each other's limbs.

Not sure of what trainbot you're refering to, though. Railracer? If that's him, he's not Energon era, and only works with the RID Railbots.

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
  9. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Yes, the RID Railbots were the ones I was thinking off. Too bad they use a different combination system.

About the Energon Prime Supermode: Since the drone limbs slot in overtop of the portly center Prime's arms/legs, if those holes had Energon ports installed in them - would it maintain racheting articulation - or do those drone limbs rely on the portly-Prime's shoulders for that?

10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The Energon ports contain the ratcheting mechanisms within. So rotational articulation at least would be covered if you were to graft the ports in there (if you can even do so. I'm kinda thinking that there's not enough space).

The hinged movement (for knees, mostly) is an entirely different story. The Energon ports, again, provide that motion. But only because they're embedded in a frame that contains the rest of the necessary mechanics. Grafting the rest of that over cleanly is... probably not going to happen.

11. Autobot Burnout

The drones themselves do not have a sholder ratcheting joint. It's actually the core figure's sholder ratchet joint that's being used. The channels have little tabs on the inner rim that connect to small indents on the ridge on the prime's sholders and right below the knees. Same applies to Wing Saber. All the drones have in terms of articulation are an elbow joint and swivel.

It you put an Energon combiner port inside the channels so that an Energon combiner body could use it, it could work...except for the fact the drones are pretty bulky and would be hard to articulate, not to mention be more weight concentrated on the hips (which aren't that good on any of the combiner bodies if you don't have an upgrade set) and would cause the body to buckle and fail.

Honestly, FP Bruticus is great the way he is, you'd gain nothing by trying to attach Energon era stuff to him.

12. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Ah, understood. I'm thinking back to the port I removed from an Energon Vortex (as the articulation was covered by the FP Bruticus shoulder block) and I see what you're saying. I was just hoping not to reinvent the articulation wheel if I went in that direction. :) 

13. blaynescott

Ebay:
    I'm really liking some of the Energon Air Team as alternate combiner limbs, particularly Skydive/Fireflight.

Does anyone have pictures of them configured into an ARM?
    I'm hoping they resemble something with a waist (becomes bicep/thigh swivel) + knees (becomes elbow/knee). I really, really like Energon Duststorm/Hightower combiner bots for that reason. :) 

Attached Files:

14. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I posted pictures of Superion on the last page... that's what they look like as limbs.

15. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Oh! I saw it as a leg, but didn't realize the left-side was the same mold, but as an arm. Doesn't look like there's much rotation/elbow bend in arm mode, eh?

Attached Files:

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    If you see it once, yes. If you see it every friggin' time he transforms in every friggin' epsiode, it becomes boring faster than you can say "hey, I've seen that before". The Japanese shows have a tendency to completely halt the narrative for dragged out transformation/combination/special attack stock footage sequences. Imagine the literal toy feature showcase sequences take up half the episode. EVERY episode. THE SAME REPEATED SEQUENCES EVERY EPISODE.

None at all actually.

17. Autobot Burnout

None of the Energon Combiners actually had real arm articulation outside of the sholder. The FP upgrades solved this at the cost of having interchangable limbs, because the Crossifre Bruticus set doesn't work with the other limb bots from other combiners, but it's more than a fair trade off since the interchangeable limbs kinda sucks anyway.

18. blaynescott

Ebay:
    That, and a few other quality reasons is why I stopped watching during the Amada/Cybertron/RiD TF era. I just... couldn't handle that. If I wanted to watch excessive amounts of stock animation, I'll re-watch the '60s Spider-Man cartoon. ;) 

That's what I was afraid of. The figure turns into a broomstick with an Energon port at the top.

Can anyone suggest figures (Energon or otherwise) that have a similar articulation format to the Hightower / Dustorm / Wideload mold? The Vortex or Swindle mold works similarly well as an arm with a proper bicep swivel/elbow. I'm open to other figures that lack a Combiner port, as I can install one in the figure. I just need some decent gestault arms. :) 

Update: Came across a pic via Google of the Hightower mold used with Barricade/Bruticus. Looks pretty neat. :) 

Attached Files:

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They have more articulation if you cheat - you need to unpeg the jet nose halves and sit one side on top of the other then you get an elbow. likewise with the constructicons powerloaders unpeg the middle cab bit.
    and for the constructicons cranes you need to rotate the crane deck so it clears his waist then you get that joint as an elbow swivel and bend.

20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    There was one episode where Prime began the episode combined, and I was like, "*phew*, dodged that bullet". Only for him to show up near the end of the episode, uncombined for no reason, just so he could combine heroically and save the day.