What figure is this?????

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zildjian, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The figure on the left....

[​IMG]

What scale is he as well??

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara's Animated Ultra Magnus. I can't tell you what scale he is.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Leader Class Animated Ultra Magnus....

4. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh.... nevermind. Found it:

[​IMG]

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    One of the best Leader Class figures ever. Seriously.

6. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Aye, this one is well worth the money you find him for.

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    do to toys r us dropping the prices on animated leaders down to $20 for a bit. I stockpiled them in the corner of the room here. the Wicked Roadbuster recolor is'nt that bad if you think of it More of Ultra Magnus getting comfident in the battlefield again, rather than a actual roadbuster. Also apparently he may be a fan of roadbuster. But who is'nt really? Roadbuster and Ultra Magnus.

Guns hideing inside of guns. Great pop open Magna hammer. Sturdy, click together transformation that's easy to follow. Three Phrases. Ratchet Joints, and eight huge wheels.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    His only problem are his finger-breaking and weirdly articulated shoulders. Still, one can't help but love him (and the rest of the animated leaders in my case, especially megs)

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Agreed he is totally Epic.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I agree with that, but he is rather awesome. The only big strike as mentioned are his shoulders, which sit too far back on his torso.

11. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    News to me. Finger tips, or around the hinges?

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    My fingers. I was talking about his shoulder transformation, but I see why you read it that way, I should have phrased it differently.

My fingers always hurt after transforming him, those damn shoulders :D  (it's probably because I do it in a way that minimizes the chance of breaking him from excess force)

13. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Autobot

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    QFT!! He is awesome!!

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's odd really that the bigger a figure gets the less they're designed to pop apart with excessive force instead of break. Certainly Ultra Magnus' shoulders (and the flaps and hinges on his legs) scare the arse off me when manipulating them and I wish there had been some pop-off mechanism designed into those joints rather than the hard double hinge pinnings they have (as far as I remember, as I don't have mine to hand right now). Those double joints mean that whichever direction you're pushing you're always stressing the other end of the hinge and pin.

Certainly if I was to break a figure I'd rather it was a cheaper one (Legend, Scout or Deluxe) than a Leader, so it always strikes me as a bit odd that the pop-off parts become rarer the more a figure costs. I'm not necessarily talking about limb joints, as I'm aware that the bigger a figure gets the more weight a joint has to support, although some Voyagers such as Banzaitron do have spindly pin joints here and there which could've easily been replaced with ball-joints. And he does kinda have push plugs in his knees so he's not totally without anti-break joints.

I'm not toy design expert but sometimes I look at joints and pinnings on certain figures and think it would be far less vulnerable to breakage if made into a ball or clip joint. Surely cheaper too if a pin can be replaced with something molded as a single part that can clip on and off. Looking at Banzaitron again his hip flaps, butt flap and front shoulder flaps could've been clipped rather than pinned. Elbows ball-jointed too. It's not like his forearms would be too heavy for them to support. Yeah, there's always more room for those bits to come away and get lost, but to me that's kinda better than breaking the thing full-stop as it leaves me with the chance of either finding the bit fallen off (usually under the sofa or inside the dog) and clipping it back on or getting a replacement part.

Anyways, I waffle on. :)