What exactly was the All Spark?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Conceptron, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Conceptron

Conceptron Banned

Not seen the movie in a while, but just would like to know...what exactly was the All Spark? From what I remember, we did not really know much about it and therefore, I did not feel like I should care for it when they fought for it in the city.
    Can guys remind me what is so special about the All Spark?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    According to Prime's monologue at the start of the movie, the Allspark gave life to Cybertron.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought it was a MacGuffin.

4. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Bad plot device. Formerly known as the 'Energon Cube'. Be thankful they changed it to Allspark instead.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I believe that it has more in common with the Matrix or perhaps Vector Sigma, than Energon cubes.

But yeah... that's about it really. Macguffin. Plot device. God in the Machine.

zmog

6. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MacGuffins aren't always a bad thing...

7. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    It's a giant god-box.

On a related note, was I the only one who very nearly fell about laughing when Prime said "In the beginning, there was THE CUBE" in the opening?

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i once walked in a mcdonalds and asked for a macguffin with a side of fries. then the server turned to me and he was the spitting image of hitchcock.

...nah, that didnt really happen, i just made it up.

like all macguffins, the stories tend to conceal what the macguffins actually do, its part of the mystique. see, pulp fictions glowing briefcase.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Simon Furman implied in an issue of the UK Transformers Movie comic that an ancient alien race somehow made the Cube, but he never went into it more than that. The whole story also had the get-out of being an illusion presented to Ironhide by another group of aliens, who had merely found the ancient ship.

I'm hoping the sequels might delve into its origins some more.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    "Before time began, there was the cube" actually >_>

I doubt you were the only one...

Has become somewhat of a catchphrase for my friends and I though..partly because the first time we watched the DVD I made an allusion to Prime talking about the Gamecube >_>

11. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The Allspark, simply put, is the source of life for the Transformers in the movie. With out it, eventually they'll go extinct and Cybertron will become a lifeless world.

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Before time began, there was, THE RUBE. We know not where they come from, only that they shuffle into theaters at $9.00 a ticket.

Anyway, the cube was Vector Sigma without the name.

13. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    It still sounds pretty silly.

14. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

I always thought of the cube as a reactor which powered Cybertron, and whose radiation gave "life" and sentience to the machines on the planet. It doesn't matter where it came from, only that it well, "has the power to create worlds, and fill them with life."

I'm kinda hoping that at some point, a little of the energy of the Allspark gets back to Cybertron, and it's enough to reactivate some more Transformers that were completely drained of energy from the millenia of war. (Kinda like the idea in the DW series.)

Hopefully in TF2, the Transformers find out that they don't need the Allspark energy to survive, and that they can tap Earth's vast power resources to create "Energon," and that the movies basically fall more in line with the G1 storyline.

15. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

The TFs need the AllSpark to save their race by resurrecting the dying Cybertron. However I don't think its an energy source for individual survival, like in the sense that we must eat food. The Movie Guide book makes several references to TFs that have self sustaining internal power plants. So it appears that they did away with the whole energon theory at this point.

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    The robots are always fighting for some cube...used to be energon cube, now Allspark (cube).

17. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Maybe Unicron sent it to create life for him to harvest.

Maybe Primus made it to form the Transformers to beat Unicron.

That's all just fan ideas but anyway, I get the impression the Allspark just crashed onto Cybertron, previously lifeless, gave life to the elements there just like how a lightning bolt created amino acids (building blocks of organic life) with our native elements. The early Cybertronians were primitive creatures and eventually grew into the civilization we know them as.

The Allspark could have been a good plot device, but in the end the script let it down. No emphasis of its significance to the Transformers race as a whole. Nothing.

18. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    According from fragments of both animated and the movie, the allspark is a device of massive energy, so powerful that in can create worlds and even life. Now, who build it, lets hope we get a cool explanation, and no alien race or quintessons involved.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    It's an amalgamation of concepts like Vector Sigma and the Creation Matrix, without using the term 'Matrix' to avoid confusion with the Matrix franchise.

But yeah, a MacGuffin.

20. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    It's only a MacGuffin, I'm sure that if Michael Bay could've had his way, the movie wouldn't have had any dialogue, the only audio would be the score and sound effects. OK, and BB's radio and Frenzy's "talking"