What exactly makes a Transformer a Transformer...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Sep 1, 2006.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    and not just a transforming robot? I've seen the whole "The movie designs aren't Transformers, they're just transforming robots" argument more and more, let's break it down and decide exactly what's the difference. Transformers vs. TRs.

They both transform, obviously, and are robots.

Real Transformers are living things, and not piloted like some TRs.

Transformers have "sparks". TRs - ?

Transformers have names that are usually reused in one form or another. TRs - ?

Transformers come from Cybertron. TRs - no.

Transformers have two main factions at war with each other. TRs - sometimes.

Transformers have a loose history/storyline that gets rebooted from time to time. TRs - depends on which ones.

By now, you know where I'm going with this. Unless I'm missing the point (which is entirely possible), the movie Transformers are Transformers by definition. What, exactly, makes them NOT Transformers in your opinion? Let's try and discuss this with some civility and insights.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Why, that would be the ratio of loops on the primary coil to the loops on the secondary coil, silly.

3. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I can't think of a witty retort for that, so I'll just call you an idiot.:) 

I shouldn't have to tell you I'm just kidding, so I won't. :p 

4. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

If it doesn't match someone's OPINION, then it's not a Transformer. Since it seems everyone has a different opinion of course, everyone is both right and wrong at the same time.

5. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

From the posts I see in the News and Movie forums, apparently it has to look clunky, blocky, perectly humanoid (right down to the faces), have huge vehicle chunks hangin' off them, and essentially defy the laws of physics to be a "real" Transformer and not "JUS A ROBOT BIONICLE OMFG!!!!!!11"

Oh, and they have to be exact replicas of G1 characters, musn't forget that.

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Many, many "real" Transformers have broken all of those rules, not always all at once, mind you.

7. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'd say it's purely an aesthetic quality. The only TFs that share a very, very little similarity to the movie designs are some of the Transmetal 2s. And even that's a stretch.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think it's even simpler than your definition, Triple M. For instance, the Junkions are not from Cybertron. Unicron is neither from Cybertron nor belonging to one of two warring factions. Sometimes those factions are not even at war!

A TransFormer is a living transforming robot belonging to a particular brand owned by Hasbro and Takara.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That's pretty much what I was going to say, if Hasbro/Takratomy says it's a Transformer, it's a Transformer.

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    But what if they shit in a hat and called it a Transformer? Would we accept that as a TRUE Transformer? I know I wouldn't.

I'd like to hear some opinions from people who don't consider the movie TFs to be true Tfs with reasons why they don't. This isn't an effort to debunk them, I just want to hear some well thought out reasons why, and not just knee-jerk reactions.

11. flamepanther

Only if it turned into a living robot.

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Ho....you nutball.

I think I can hear an electrical engineer laughing in the back... :p 

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Transformers have Fembots

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    So does Bender.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

They already did that, it was called Animorphs, and they were sold under the Transformer brand, thus they were a "true" transformer, it's not our decision what a true transformer is, it's Hasbro's and Takaratomy's.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

What we knew as transformers is changing...like it or not...NOT A FAN has seen movie transformations...until then...uh...I dunno...transformers .......transform....we just have not seen it yet...sit tight! relax.....drink a beer, it'all be cool....

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As someone fairly familiar with "Super Robots", aka Brave, Getter, Mazinger and friends.

Super Robots -
    - typically are piloted or have a human support crew of some description.
    - usually have a massive finishing attack, and several other powerful attacks that wipe out whole waves of enemies.
    - tend to fight "monsters of the week" - that is, one shot enemies who are there to be an opponent for an episode or two before ultimately being destroyed.
    - "Evil" super robots are usually limited to one or two rival units, if they exist at all.

Transformers -
    - tend to be "living machines" with the humans acting more as a supporting cast than an actual support crew, and are very rarely piloted.
    - can have a massive finishing attack, but it rarely inflicts significant damage due to the lack of destructable opponents.
    - No "monsters of the week", though sometimes a "drone army" (Masterforce, Beast Machines, Energon)
    - Two factions, there are far more "evil" Transformers per series that "evil" Super Robots.

Of course, that definition also applies to the Gobots, so it also needs to be wholly created by Takara and Hasbro. Therefore, Animorphs wouldn't be a "true" Transformers line, while it carried the name it was licensed from a series of books written externally to Hasbro and the TV show had nothing to do with Hasbro either. The sole involvement that Hasbro had in that line was the production of the toys.

18. flamepanther

On the issue of Animorphs, only the toy line had the TransFormers brand attached to it. The books and the show had no TransFormers branding. I see it as a "guest feature" line, like the Exo-Squad toys with both Exo-Squad and Robotech brands on them (remember those?). They appear under the TransFormers name only for the sake of cross-promotion and are not canonically related. :) 

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I think one thing is characterisation and human personality. Alien robots, who for no apparent reason, have very average human (usually North American or occassionally stereotypical Australian) personalities and mannerisms. Except when they're written for Japan and in that case my theory goes out the window.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i only just got the electical transformer joke, yeesh. -.-"