What ever happened to gundam toys?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Alpha, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Alpha

Alpha I saved the internet.

My Wal-Mart just stopped stocking them about a year ago. Why? Er, edit also all stores
    around the same time. Except for Toys R' Us they stocked battle scarreds for a little while after.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:spelling

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Because nobody wanted them?

3. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    You need to have a long chat with HLJ.

4. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Because Battle Scarred gundams and all the strange G Gundam suits essentially killed any retailer desire for anything gundam.

5. Alpha

That what I thought, SD didn't help either I'll bet.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey G Gundam kicked ahss Nicky......

7. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    True. but the glut of Toro and other shit suits didn't help the line do well.

8. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I thought they stopped stocking them about two years ago or somewhere around that time frame. Gundam just wasn't selling like it did when Gundam Wing and the original Gundam figures were released. I have a ton of them, even some of the crapper ones, but Transformers came back to take Gundams place in the states or at least that's now I see it. He-man and G.I. Joe probably helped kill the toy line too. I think He-man was still in stores when the last new Gundam figures were released. I could be wrong but it seems like that was when I saw the last new Gundams.

9. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Of course this just means they're being released in Canada :lol 

But seriously, I think Gundam is a good concept but was just done in the wrong (incredibly wrong way). First off, model kits are kind of cool but they have almost no playability. the joints wear out in a matter of hours, they break easily, and you have to assemble them (which is actually kind of cool sometimes). However, the Gundam toylines were all little tiny figures made of uber soft plastic and had the same loose joint problem as their model kit counterparts. It's also difficult for a Gundam figure to hold its gun and such.

I think Gundam would have been an incredibly successful line had it followed a Hasbro TF or Yamato Macross construction style. Lose the model kits, lose the little soft figures. I think high quality, hard plastic figures with the articulation around that of, say, Bendy Prime or RiD Scourge would have been a HUGE success. I would have been troop building those like crazy. But then again, this entire pose is just personal opinion, so take from it what you will. But if any of you Bandai executives happen to see this, follow my advice!

10. Phy

News Credits:
    Append every sentence you just said with "in North America" and you may be closer to the truth.

11. CdnShockwave

What he said. :p 

12. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    They are still being released in Canada? Are they newer figures or are they ones that have already been sold in the US? Also did you get a lot of Seed and Zeta?

I liked the small size but a harder plastic would have been great. They are very similar to the Japanese release, just less detailed but I'm not sure of the plastic quality.

We are talking about the same company that took a male Power Ranger and painted it pink to be a female character right?

13. Phy

News Credits:
    They are not being released in Canada. At least not in my city. As for plastic, I'm pretty sure it was the same quality on both sides of the Pacific. We did get less paint apps and washes though.

I actually liked the softer plastic, it's disgustingly dense. You could really hurt someone if you whipped an MSIA Dom at them.

14. CdnShockwave

I was just joking about them being released in Canada (making a joke on our late/sh*tty distribution). Sorry. ^_^;;

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I think pretty much what did it was Mandala Gundam. I litterally saw six of those things sitting at walmart for about a year. Everything else sold pretty fast. Even the other crappy figures like Mermaid and Hurricane sold fairly quickly compared to that. Maybe it's the complete and utter lack of a real body that did it. It's basically a barrel with arms and a head.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    from what i read, the US retailers essentially got burned by G Gundam, so they stopped carrying it. such a waste tho, given that the next series, Gundam Seed was such a hit..

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bad marketing killed the series in the US (G. Gundam series) and the fact that Bandai is seemingly ignoring the US market and focusing on Japan and the other countries. For example, the "Mobile Suit in Action" line is still going strong with releases of mechas from the Gundam Seed Destiny line.

I do agree with CdnShockwave's comments with model kits with regards to playability but then again, how many of the Japanese toys are as durable as the TFs main line?

Example, Master Piece Starscream is more fragil than my Master Grade Gundam kits and he's more expensive! Or how about Yamato's Valks?

The strange thing is that the model kits are still doing well in other parts of the world...if not, we won't keep seeing new releases from Bandai, in terms of "High Grade" and "Master Grade Kits".

The amazing thing is that Gundam doesn't just rely on the model kits for its sales but on "MSIA" and the "Fix" series; which is like a Master Piece version of MISA.

[​IMG]

And yup, those figures are posable! :D 

18. Alpha

My Wal-Mart's pegs were almost always empty, except when they restocked, and then they flew off the pegs if it was a neat Mobile Suit. They did have a Mandala that got marked down, and I think It hung around for about a year.
    Alright, so I didn't remember what the Gundam's name was (Mandala), so off to Bandai's web site. I get there and see that they've added Seed Destiny to their mecha profiles. I get the name(Mandala) and decide to look at their products, so I click on products and there's Seed Destiny,?!, is there hope! For a dvd release of Destiny, yes. Because,I was looking at dvds. They took down the toy section, no model kits, no action figures; only dvds, the Gundam card game and video games. Bandai>:Gouki:  <fans

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alpha, I don't know how to comment on Bandai's website and the state of the Gundam market in the US marker but Gundam is truly alive and doing well in other countries! LOL!

Check the look for some of the planned MSIA releases.

http://pine.zero.ad.jp/~zbm98327/ibe000.htm

Anyway, here's another picture of my Fix/Zeonography collection:

[​IMG]

20. Phy

News Credits:
    In a better world, the MG Zaku would have got a remold by now, like the original Gundam has, and it would be based on the MSIA-extended Zaku. Those things are SWEET.

Just thought I'd share.