What Else Besides Normal G1 Figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello again. I'm wondering what to collect. Besides the G1 figures we're all familiar with, and the tiny WST's, what other G1 figures are there? I'm not interested in statues, busts per say. However, I am looking for little figurines with/without articulation of our favorite G1 characters.
    Just looking for something to expand the G1 collection. Wasn't there a titanium series that featured G1 characters?
    Now when I say characters, I don't mean just a figure named Starscream. I mean G1 Starscream appearance.

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Obviously you've got your lines that are direct G1 homages like Classics, Universe 2.0, and Titanium. However there is more to it than that.

Leaving out Optimus Prime, the recipe for which is always large red vehicle transforms into robot with OP head on it, and Megatron, sort through Energon and Cybertron for figures that are close approximations of their G1 counterparts. These were the two lines that were out at around the 20th Anniversary and at the time Hasbro pointed out that they were designed to be homage heavy. For starters, from Energon look at Energon Starscream (the repaint), Downshift (as wheeljack), Inferno, Springer, Grimlock and Swoop. From Cybertron, Swindle, Blurr (has the remolded G1 style head), Unicron, and Smokescreen . There are more from either line but I'm quite tired, and those are the ones that stand out as being almost direct updates of their G1 forms (as opposed to figures like Cybertron Thundercracker and Soudwave, which are more vague homages).

Then there are specific figures from other lines that are like direct updates of their G1 forms. Movie Jazz (especially the G1 repaint) is an example of this. Others are

Universe 1/Armada Thrust (the red version, not sure which line it was released under)
    Universe Sunstorm (the Armada Thrust repaint)
    Universe 1 Skywarp
    Animated Blurr (looks a lot like his current IDW form)
    Animated Swindle (see Blurr)
    RotF Brawn
    RotF Dirge (both of these are ostensibly separate characters but they're very good updates of their G1 forms)
    RotF Bludgeon
    TFTM Jazz (especially G1 repaint)
    Animated Jazz
    Animated Ultra Magnus
    RiD Side Burn (the red repaint, this was the inspiration for early IDW Hot Rod - they shared the same vehicle mode)
    Armada Thundercracker

There are a lot more than that, but it's late.

3. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Oh, and RotF Brakedown, which is a very direct updating of the G1 character.

Actually I'm going to go and have a look now at what else would qualify.

4. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I'm standing in front of my relatively meager collection Now and there are a few mire I've spotted. I should point out before I launch into this that my intention is to list figures for you that aren't just homages, but figures that you could stand next to the original ad a modernised version.

Rotf Thrust
    Rotf ravage
    TFTM Big Daddy
    RiD StormJet (Very direct Jetfire homage)
    RiD Ultra Magnus
    Animated Grimlock

5. Tigertrack

Hi there, wow, three responses from the same person! LOL! Anyway, I'm not interested in updated versions of said character.
    I'm looking for different figures of same character for example: G1 Skywarp, Masterpiece Skywarp, and WST Skywarp. Masterpiece SW and WST SW are duplicates of G1 SK. So the question is what other duplicate figurine would there be of Skywarp WITHOUT being an updated version?

Kind of like displaying a 1:18 scale yellow '02 Lamborghini Murcielago next to a 1:24 scale yellow '02 Lamborghini Murcielago displayed next to a 1:43 scale yellow '02 Lamborghini Murcielago standing next to a 1:64 scale yellow '02 Lamborghini Murcielago and so on.

6. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Well if you're looking for things that are strictly the same alt mode and robot mode then Classics and Universe 2.0 would be your best bet in most cases.

The only other thing that I can think of off the top of my head not from either Classics line that might satisfy that is RotF Brakedown. Oh, and Animated Grimlock - both of those have the same alt mode and largely the same bot mode as the G1 versions.

7. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Seems like the SCF/Heroes of Cybertron line is right up your alley.
    Small show accurate (non-transformable) depictions of a whole bunch of G1 characters.

Click this link for more info: Heroes of Cybertron - Transformers Wiki

8. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

another route you can go as far as autobot cars go is for the binaltechs/alternators line.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Classics/Henkei!/Universe/Generations if you don't mind a slight update in alt modes- Hound going from a J59 Jeep to a Jeep Hurricane concept, Prowl from a Datson Fairlady Z to a Nissan 350Z, Sunstreaker into an updated mish-mash of Lamborghinis.

If not, then I agree that Heroes of Cybertron/SCF is right down your road. Also, Mighty Muggs and the few TF Revoltechs there are. Myclones and some of the Robot Masters line as well.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Robot Heroes. Ok, non-transformable they may be, but surely fit your criteria?

11. Tigertrack

It does not have to transform, as long as it look's like a Mini-Me of original G1 character.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Impossible Toys' Quintessons?

Heroes of Cybertron / SCF line

Mega SCF line

the five TF Revoltechs

Choro-Q Transformers (Super Deformed G1 TFs that transform)

Myclone TFs

Justitoys WST Dinobots, shockwave, blaster.

Those G1 bottlecap figures put out in japan.

universe legends. revival of the minibots! also features a tiny jazz and hound with very accurate alt modes to the originals.

Rodimus and Ultra Magnus from the 6 inch titanium line. There's a Soundwave too. Avoid it like the plague. Soundwave is the plague.

damn near everything from the smaller titanium line.

there's some TF bobbleheads too.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    How about Revoltechs Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Hot Rod, and if you can get him Ultra Magnus. Even get a Macross Revoltech for Jetfire.

14. Tigertrack

Not looking for deformed bobblehead like figures.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Funny, I could easily go somewhere and pick up Ultra Magnus, but I can't find Convoy anywhere.

16. Tigertrack

Is there anything at Toys R Us I should look for tomorrow?

17. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    There's a few nice renditions of the G1 characters in the Alternators/Binaltech line.
    They also fit nicely with the Masterpieces as well.