What does it take to drop a Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by NEST SOLDIER, Mar 5, 2012.

1. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

So, I'm writing this in response to the unfounded idea that a regular transformer from the movieverse couldn't take out a Prime. Specifically, because of Ironhide being taken out by Sentinel.

Consider this before you balk at the idea:

Why would Bonecrusher attack Optimus in the first film if he couldn't kill him?

Why would Starscream or Grindor go after Optimus in the forest battle if they too, couldn't kill him?

Why would Shockwave go after Optimus in DOTM if he couldn't kill him?

The answer is simple: They could all kill him, and the same principal applies to Sentinel Prime. Ironhide is eye level with Sentinel's chest cavity, which is where his spark chamber is located. One blast from either of his guns would have placed Sentinel in a very weakened position.

More so, Ironhide could have grabbed Sentinel's gun, and bought time for the other Autobots to attack him as well. The fact that Sentinel chose to shoot Ironhide in the back is evidence in itself that he was at the least wary of tangling with the old man.

There is no reason that Ironhide or any other bot couldn't kill a Prime. Perhaps in the G1 or another continuity there is a basis for this train of thought, but as we have seen the movieverse is not G1.

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

This should probably be in the movie forum if it is only in respect to the movie Primes.

But to answer I would say you can never go wrong with a good, proper, and full decapitation!

3. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    What does it take to kill a Prime?

Hot Rod.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a little confused as to where this "in the Movieverse, a regular TF can't take out a Prime" idea came from exactly, but to play along...

The answer is potentially even simpler: It's not common knowledge among most TFs that a 'regular' Cybertronian can't kill a Prime. Bonecrusher, Starscream, Grindor and Shockwave went after Optimus because they weren't aware that regular TFs can't kill a Prime and thought they actually had a chance.

5. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Megatron killed Prime. Several times. So Bay logic is balls.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What does it take to kill a Prime in the movies? Bay thinking it's a good idea. Seriously there is nothing making a Prime invincible. Megatron could have just shot the Fallen in the face and been freed of his mustache twisting master.

It's a bull plop concept.

7. NEST SOLDIER

No disrespect intended, but I think that's ridiculous. The Primes are special, set apart, and leaders. I get that, however, they aren't invincible by any means. It makes no sense for any Decepticon ( or vice versa) to go after Optimus if they knew that they couldn't kill him.

Even in the opening scenes of DOTM, there's five or more seekers going after the Ark, trying to kill Sentinel. Starscream didn't know about his allegiance with Megatron untilafter they were on earth, with the space bridge from the moon activated.

The simple truth is is that Primes can die, and they can be killed by regular bots.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I don't buy the whole "Primes can't be killed by normal TFs idea either" and, as mentioned, I have absolutely no idea where you're getting this from since it's the first I've heard of the concept. It was clearly established that The Fallen couldn't be killed by a regular TF, but The Fallen is clearly a special case.

That's exactly the point of my hypothetical answer, which operates entirely on the assumption that this "regular TFs can't kill a Prime" idea has any basis in reality: They didn't know they couldn't kill him, so they went after him.

Or, here's another hypothetical explanation for why a Decepticon would go after Prime knowing they couldn't kill him (again, assuming this weird "regular TFs can't kill a Prime" idea had any basis in reality). Imagine the following conversation:

Megatron - "Shockwave, go kill Optimus."
    Shockwave - "Apparently, there's some idea floating around that regular TFs can't kill a Prime, so...no."
    Megatron - "Do it or I'll kill you."
    Shockwave - "Alrighty. Off I go then."

9. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I never thought that regular TFs couldn't kill a prime. It's just a bit harder. I don't rate Megs as your average cybertronian.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Let's see, in the past, the following things have dropped a Prime:

-Megatron
    -Megatron using a laser sword, a piece of metal, and a gun
    -Being beaten (but not really) at a video game
    -Unicron
    -Exposure to Vector Sigma's Core
    -Consumption by The Swarm
    -Beast Wars Megatron (well, almost)
    -Transwarp Explosions
    -Megatron, with the Hydra Cannon
    -Megazarak
    -Starscream
    -Another Prime
    -Torture by Soundwave
    -Galvatron
    -Cyclonus
    -Any enemy from the "Mystery of Convoy" NES Game
    -Overusing their physics-bending abilities
    -Liege Maximo
    -Suicide Bombers sent by the Senate
    -The Fallen (technically)
    -Themselves
    -Cryotek
    -Broadside the minicon (presumably)

So there's quite a bit, especially outside of the movie universe, that can drop a Prime. Statistically, they should be warned to keep away from cybertronians named Megatron and to not intentionally kill themselves.

Megatron - Remember to make sure he stays dead! He's tricky like that! Believe me, I know!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  11. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    Only a Prime can defeat the Fallen. I know it makes no sense but no one ever actually SAID that only a Prime can defeat a PRIME. Ugh this is why I want a reboot and this should be in the movie forum

12. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

13. NEST SOLDIER

I've heard some folks on here more than once tell me that, and that's part of the basis of my starting this thread. I've also been put down by a lot of G1 fans due to their singular belief that Primes couldn't be killed by regular bots.

Perhaps there is some basis for this in either G1 or one of the other continuities, but there is nothing in the movieverse to either suggest it or confirm it. It also answers the question of why Sentinel went after Ironhide first.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't think of any continuity where only a Prime can kill a Prime. Though they certainly are a danger to themselves.

15. NEST SOLDIER

Well, I'm no expert by any means, but I do know a good deal about the movie verse, whereas I know next to nothing about the other continuities. I'm just not into cartoons like that anymore.

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I miss when there wasn't this "Legacy of Chosen-One Primes" nonsense introduced into the lore and Optimus Prime was known as the Autobot Supreme Commander who had tons of combat and leadership experience, which stored in the matrix. Goddammit, he wasn't born that way.

Who can kill Optimus Prime? Anyone strong, smart, and/or lucky enough. The End.