What does hasbro have against the dinobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

By that logic Hasbro shouldn't make Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee, Bulkhead, Ratchet, Soundwave, Jazz, or Wreck Gar because the only Animated figures to fly off the shelves was the Toys R Us exclusive Arcee.

Animated faced a lot of problems that had nothing to do with the character selection.

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yup, 100% agree with you. That is why it is so funny when people criticize people on posts such as mine.

The fact of the matter is that if any one knew what Hasbro was thinking, they would be filthy rich at this point.

By this logic, Hasbro would have released an Arcee in the classics line already and tons of people are still waiting on that. Fact of the matter is, we will never know what is going to happen. So let's not pretend that we do know.

3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Wait what??? Megatron was the best toy in the entire Animated toy line. Unless you're referring to the R.I.D.-Cybertron defying repaint who didn't rename himself Galvatron and never appeared in the cartoon. That one was a major shelf warmer. But the original version sold more than his movie counterpart did.

4. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

There were three (or more, depending on how you look at it) versions of Megatron to choose from for TFA, and honestly, if you couldn't find even one of them, you just weren't looking very hard at all. He hung around long enough on shelves to see his Leader class toy get discounted to $15... shelves of nothing but $15 Leader Megs and Bulks. Regardless of how awesome his toy was, stores weren't exactly burning through their stock.

5. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Easter eggs are easter eggs, and fan wank is fan wank.

All fan wank are also easter eggs.

But not all easter eggs are fan wank.

Easter eggs = G1 theme remix for new show, BMac Dinobots sigil on the new WM Bumblebee

Fan Wank = Hasbro jerking you off by putting your birthday on a toy.

It's a very subtle difference between the two, but it exists.

Either way, it's also a discussion not on topic.

6. Acclaimed

Acclaimed Well-Known Member

That classics Grimlock is uglier than home made sin. I have the Jetfire/Grimlock 2 pack and I keep a towel over the dino.

It also irks me that all the seekers were made as clunky Frankenstein fashion. That's fine for 1 or two but they made 7 of them. Talk about cashing in on a mold.

Just so I won't sound like I hate everything, which is what I mostly say, I do like what they have done with the autobot cars. They mostly change them enough when they remold that warrant's me to buy them. Sans Prowl/Silverstreak.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

...huh? I am totally lost as to what you're saying here.

8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

To clarify... there are only 2 versions of Earth mode Megatron. And I believe 3 versions of Cybertron mode Megatron.

His first Earth mode, at least in my area, was never on discount and did actually fly off shelves. Like I said he sold better than his movie counterparts who all went on discount. And his repaint who I don't think ever sold at all.

Nope they're the same thing and your definition of fan wank isn't fan wank at all... that's just called coincidence. Given Bumblebee's 84 being the year Transformers first came out, Sideswipe's 04 aside from it's actual meaning is also the year I graduated high school. Not fan wank, coincidence. :p 

9. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    While I respect your opinion I'm not sure why you have such a problem with this. The original three G1 seekers were the same mold just in different colors. And the coneheads were the same body mold just different wings. Has/Tak using the seeker mold as extensively as they have actually makes since.

Not to mention that the Classics seeker mold gives us an accurate robot mode for the seekers while not sacrificing articulation. It also gives us very good alt modes without any really noticable underside kibble. The Classic seeker mold is what we wish our G1 figures could've been.

10. Transfotaku

Hasbro jerking off fans isn't fan wank to you?

Bee's 84 is done by INTENT. Not coincidence.

Sideswipe's 04 comes from his release in Japan, he was the 4th Autobot toy in the line. The fact you graduated in '04 is coincidence. If they did it with the INTENT to go, "Hey, SaberPrime graduated in '04, let's make a toy commemorating it like that one fan's birthday we used ON PURPOSE", that's pure, utter, fan wank.

11. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

True, I'll give you that but it would be nice if they would make them. Tell me they wouldn't be bought up like candy though. Yep, you know you'd like some too. :D  It needs to be done, 's all I'm saying really.

12. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Note: I have not read this thread.

I think this has more to do with Takara than Hasbro.

The Dinobots just aren't all that popular in Japan, save for Grimlock. Anytime a mold gets made, Takara is making it. Anytime a toy is designed, Takara is designing it. These are realities of what Hasbro has to deal with. Takara will absolutely not want to design and make molds of characters that won't sell.

And to be honest, I think the only thing that would sell over here to a mass market would be a whole set of Dinobots at once. Individual releases seem like a bad idea - Animated Snarl and Swoop warmed shelves for quite awhile.

But setting aside reality and viewing it as a Dinobot fan, I would absolutely love to see them updated, or at the least get a Commemorative Series release :) 

13. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

No Commemorative, new molds and classic styling please and thank you. Got G1 already, I'd say lots of us do and I thought the molds were gone/broke anyway. Probably wrong there but thought I heard at least one mold was unusable for one reason or another.

14. Transfotaku

Actually, Takara doesn't do it alone. TFs are a JOINT product between Hasbro and Takara. Hasbro has engineers that work with Takara's engineers, and they do it together. Takara no longer dictates what toys get made, except for Takara only Japanese exclusive releases, and those are usually recolors nowadays.

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not going to delve through this thread either. However, it's plain that Hasbro is having a beast of a time homaging the "subgroups" that dominated G1. You can have a monotonous wave, or else spread the subgroup out to multiple waves so lots of people don't "finish" it, or else make a huge exclusive giftset, or else find a creative, economical solution that everyone hates (Power Core Combiners).

If Hasbro had anything against the Dinobots, we wouldn't have seen Animated Grimlock, Snarl, and Swoop, Grimstone w/Dinobots, and the Dualor wave of mini-cons all within the last three years. They just aren't going to toss out a whole wave of Generations in favor of five same-color, impossible-to-redeco dinosaurs.

16. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

G2-ish Dinobots? Methinks I've found that impossible redeco. ;) 

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G2 Dinobots is a Club or 'con toy, not for spamming the same dino-robots back on the shelf. If I were them I'd be worried about five selling well, let alone 8-10. New names and bios could help, but we are basically talking about a new "Dinobots" subline at this point. Only with new molds. :( 

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I never said Bee's 84 was a coincidence. I said Sideswipe's 04 being the same year I graduated high school was a coincidence. That pretty much came from mine and my dads thinking while in the store that if 84 is the year Transformers started than 04 must be a year that holds significant value to transformers as well. Though that was the same year that 20th anniversary Prime came out.

I know... I said that...

What are you even talking about with that anyway? There's no birthday on any Transformers toy. And even if there is I seriously doubt it was intentional. Like Hasbro really has any idea at all what any of our birthdays are. You have any idea how majorly unlikely that is unless it was part of some contest that I never heard about or that "fan" is a member of or related to a member of their own staff, there's know way they could possibly know about some random fan's birthday. It has to be a coincidence, it's not even possible for them to notice something like that. Sorry to burst the reality bubble here but I'm guessing that "fan" is you and no the world does not revolve around you. They no more used your Birthday on a toy than they used my high school graduation on a toy. It's pure coincidence that I just happen to have graduated in 04. It doesn't mean a thing.

19. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think either of you know what fan wank is

however there are alot examples of Transformers singling out a fan, website, or fanbase in the past.

Off the top of my head there is Monzo being referenced on the Universe Onslaught toy for his help securing the name

Vangelus being shown in the allspark allmanac.

Starbase rugby being referenced in beastwars

and TFW has been shown a couple of times in the backgrounds of comic art

My personal opinion is that an Easter egg is anything that that the casual observer would easily miss that references something. The idea being that it has to be hard to find. So words or images on a toy sitting directly in front of you would not be an easter egg. Maybe an unadvertised gimmick or combination with another toy could be considered an easter egg but mileage may vary.

Fan wank can be any self referential aspect of a toy, tech spec, or story that is not know by the mainsteam audience. For example: Powerglide having his heart inside of his chest or universe hotshot's tech spec referencing Jaam or yes the meaning of some of those rally logos

20. Transfotaku

In EVERY OTHER FANDOM, and the most widely used definitions of the terms in this and every other fandom, is:

Easter Eggs - little 'in jokes' and nods that a fan would pick up. TFA Prime having the Allspark shards in a Matrix form. RiD themesong a remix of G1's. G1 transform sounds in other places. The emblems on WM 'Bee and 'Swipe.

Fan Wank - Where the creator/license holder goes out of the way to acknowledge in some way a very single specific fan for one reason or another. Vangelus in TFA. Monzo's bday.