What does "Classics" mean to you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Transbot90210, May 27, 2011.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    For the sake of this thread the word Classics represents the whole line(s) including Henkie, Universe, Generations ect ect. With that out of the way, let us begin.

Recently I have noticed that people have a difference in opinion as to what Classics represent. I caught it most when they talk about PP01 being the Prime in their Classics collection. So I gather there are a couple of schools of thought.

It seems for one school that the most G1 like mould will represent the character for their set. So basically as G1 as you can get but with todays engineering.

Another school of thought (which I belong to) is the reimaging of figures. That means as many cues as possible from G1 but an entirely new figure.
    The most extreme examples would be Mirage and Ironhide/Ratchet. A better example is Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. These guys are very different from thier G1 models but at the same time so very much alike because all the characteristic cues are there.

For me I would much rather have Classics Prime as THE Prime because he has all the cues of G1 Prime but is a completely different design. IMO PP01 is TOO G1 for Classics.

I am sure there are more schools of thought so please share.

What does being in the Classicverse mean to you?

Thanx
    Transbot90210

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I always considered toys by the name on the package. Ever since Legends/All Stars and Classics showed up it tossed my method out the window. I'm still confused about it honestly...

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Pretty much updated G1-esque cartoon aesthetic.

4. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    I usually look at the face and if it has a cartoon face, it is classics.

5. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

This

6. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

whatever i see fit on my display. who cares what other peeps says. its my display. anything ressembling the g1 cartoon with great articulation. of course i choose it no one else. :) 

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really call it that. Hardly any of the "Classics" figures look anything like the characters do in the G1 cartoon/comic.

I would instead say that they're modernized updates of those G1 designs.

8. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it looks G1 style it's Classics to me. The only ones on my Classics shelf that aren't from the Classics line are Energon Shockblast, Scorponok, and Arcee, and WFC Soundwave.

9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Why did you just dissagree with me and then say exactly what I said MX?

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol 

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I agree with TJ, but in my own words,

Classics is basically Updated and upgraded G1 aesthetic.

To me, it is NOT a G1 with modern engineering.

Classics is G1 with modern engineering AND modern design.

Without the second part, its just "updated G1" for me. Which doesn't do anything for me, ala, Masterpiece line.

By modern design, I mean, G1 design "stylized". I think you guys know what I mean, though its hard to describe.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    "Cartoon aesthetic" has its own connotations to it, so rather, I was clarifying.

It's not an update of the aesthetic, but of the designs, is what I'm saying.

13. seali_me

yup. technically there are no wrong answers here. the TS is asking for our view of the classic toys.

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    That's the question though. Both PP-01 and Classics Voyager Prime both fit your definition of Classics. SO the question still stands?

Is a remake of the G1 model with todays engineering and articulation Classics for you or is it a redesign with all the right character cues attached to it?

For me it is the later which is why I don't feel a need to own Faith Leader. I liek the fresh new take on characters while still remaining the G1 character.

Most definately THIS?

This is a completely opinion based thread. I'm just curious what version of a Classics display is? Some want Moderns G1 other Neo-G1 and others want it all.

I guess another way to seperate the schools of thought would be the insecticons. FP is putting out their set which holds a lot of the cues from the G1 design but we can all see how different they are. But you can easily make them look very G1 but really beed up the design with todays engineering. There are examples of this that I have seen in the Radicon theads. Basically they look very much like their G1 Insecticon counterparts but with so much more umph do to todays technology.

15. seali_me

^
    i put that fugly yellow HFTD jet, so fugly i even forgot its name. him and the straxus and his repaint only look good together in my display. individualy they look fugly. so i put whatever i want. i deem the jet 3rd season peep.

classics: basically anything that i deem fits in the G1 universe with better articulation.

- if its a fan fave like jazz it has to have all the character cues.
    - seaspray fugly voyager cues are missing but bought it anyway to add to my classics. probably the only one we'll get for an updated version. more like a temporary one until i get something better.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For me the character has to have enough of their look from either the cartoons or the comic books that I know who the robot is just by looking at them. I really don't mind some of the vehicle updates because that is a nice little touch but the robot mode need to be what I could wish they were like back when I was a kid.

I guess the other bit would be that Classics at least to me have a bit of that Gundam look. Sort of that armored yet rather human shape that was popular for so long.

The package doesn't really matter because out of his package Seaspray has enough of the old look combined with enough of the Gundam-like look to work for me. And it's the first appearance for me so if they did a Transmetal Beast Wars Megatron I'd still count it as a Classics figure if he looked like his cartoon counterpart.

17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    To me, I couldn't put PP-01 with my Classics figures, because while he's modernized, in terms of engineering, his design isn't updated.

For that reason, I also can't bring myself to buy Music Label Soundwave. Cybertron Soundwave remains in that slot until something better comes around.

I break that rule a bit with Reflector. Sprung for the SFX set, couldn't care less about TFC's upcoming release. In that case, while TFC's set is more of a modern update, the toy doesn't really do a great job of evoking the iconic "clone" designs, so it's a big fat pass.

18. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    So then, in your opinion, PP-01 WOULD be your definition of classics, since that's absolutely what it is... an "updated design" of the old G1 figures.

What are you talking about?

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Transbot, I consider what FP put out to be Classics. They not only have updated engineering, but clearly made the toy more stylized.

20. seali_me

FP for me, well most of you know, it does not feel right nor have the classic aesthetic. i think this is what the TS is trying to find out. that's pretty hard to define since my tastes differs from one bot the other. sometimes i would go for the temporary stand-in and sometimes i won't. FP, custom bots etc...