What do you want to see of Cybertron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rewind Eject, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

As the title says, what aspects of Cybertron have you always wanted to see? I was inspired by the Cybertronian economy thread (which I would have responded to if not for Overlord Balder and Aeneroth hadn't already said it all) and Zac Williams' Bestiary. Oh, and no "It's not real". That is always the boring answer.

Personally, I would love to see various cultures and subraces of transformers. We already saw this in Cybertron with Velocitron and the Jungle Planet, but what about cybertron itself. Why are so many jets decepticons? Are there any beastformers on cybertron? Why would any of them choose to become a animal like being? Are Whirl and shockwave from the same place due to their similiar faces? Finally, with a range in size from human to skyscraper, what diferentiations do they have in their culture and how do they affect one another?

Care to expand on mine or list your own wishlist of what you want the creators to ellaborate on.

2. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i would like to see wild life interaction. i have always wanted to see a giant cybertronian equivilant to an elephant.

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loving stuff like this, imagining Cybertron as a real funtional world and real society, is a huge part of why I started doing the Bestiary pages. So yeah, I'm 100% with you here.

I was an anthropology minor in college and it shows because I really want to know so much about Cybertron's myths, their ancient legends, regional stories, culture, beliefs, songs, art styles, writing, theater, music, and poetry, and all that stuff that adds up to a real living society. And not just one set of these things but the regional differences that make someone feel like an Iaconian vs a Vosian. What is it like "growing up" in Ky-Alexia vs. on the Hydrax Plateau. And so on. I love anything that makes this feel like a real world with real variety and history. Even in his short time writing James Roberts has proven him self really good at this stuff so far. Enough that part of me wishes he were the one writing the series set on Cybertron rather than off in space.

Specific things I'd love to see:

1) I'd like to see the idea that the Minicons have their own civilization on one of the Moons (from the Exodus novel) used more. It's a great little tidbit that could easily fit in a G1 universe too.

2) I'd like to see just ONE DAY in the life of a normal TF outside of war time, from morning to "bed," showing us a good glimpse of how their society worked. Where do they live/sleep?/recharge. Do they have set "meals" at set mealtimes, like us humans. Churches? Prayer time to Primus? Do they have restaurants. Do they have Malls or Retail areas? Do they work for money to buy things? Energon chips? How important are their "families" and friends in their lives? Where would they go with them to hang out? Besides Maccaddams. Do they have Cinema? Opera? Art Gallaries? (We know they've got at least one ammusement park). Toy stores? RPG tabletop geeks or video games? Clubs and "Lodges"? All that stuff a "day in the life" would give us a glimpse of that we never get to see.

3) The UT introduced the idea of "Primary Programming" as the Transformers equivalent of their "School Days". After being Protoformed the TFs would go through Primary Programming with their class/batch and learn the basics of life and society before taking on their final functions and place in society. I liked that idea. As an extention I'd really love to see a closer glimpse at early TF life the closest they have to a childhood. What is it like to not really have a biological family like we do (and what is it like for the few split sparks that DO have siblings), do they form their own close "famiies" and emotional ties among their "primary programming" school groups?

-ZacWilliam, really I could go on longer than I already have. I find all this stuff facinating and fun to imagine. Anth minor. like I said. And that's not even getting into planetary environment and animals like I do in the Bestiary. :) 

4. Rewind Eject

Thanks guys, I too am obsessed with all the ins and outs of Cybertronian life. Because I already answered my question, I decided to share some of my conjectures. Mind, I have no anthropoly degree like you; I'm just a thinker with way too much time on his hands.

I always believed that jetformers have something similiar to a Klingon culture where they believe in manifest destiny and that the strongest should lead. I don't know, I just think that is a lot more interesting than "Yeah, their all goons.

Next, what if Cybertronian beastformere were like hunters or sheperds? I would love to see the predacons on the hunt, disguised as their prey until just the right moment.

I also believe that the closest thing we have to cybertronian art is kinetic art. The cities were all metallic grey so I don't think they care as much about color as movement.

What if the cars, jets, tanks, and motorcycles weren't just different molds but entire races? How would they view each other? I think they are different races because logically, cycle bots are only a little taller than humans while tank bots would be huge. I suppose the alternative is interesting too.

Above all, I want to see a living breathing Cybertron with pets, workers, crime, and games. This whole Dead Cybertron thing is well dead inside. I want it to be more like animated where their still is a culture. That is why in my pet universe, decepticons is just a term for known convicts. That way there is still an excuse for decepticons to be "evil" and to see a colorful Cybertron.

-Rewind Eject, still has a lot more to say and could never run out of things to say on this subject.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would love to see anything that expands their world as a belivable world. Basically anything ZacWilliam says.

6. Deltus

Deltus 異種

I want to how organized Cybertronian crime operate's and what the Police force is like

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I've always loved stories that have alluded to some of the rarely seen aspects of Cybertronian life. Like in Beast Machines when Rattrap finds the holo vacation chips. It begs the question of whether Transformers vacation or just do it virtually like what was shown? I'd also like to see the Cybertronian equivelant to Hollywood. TV, movies, video games, board games (this one is briefly implied in Matrix Quest)... all stuff that would be interesting.

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Three things mainly:

A - Politics. I know people would hate me for this, but give me Some Star Wars prequels moment, I want to see how the Cybertronian Golden Age slowly turned into a time of fear and betrayal, corruption crawling through the politicians, people turning against each other.

B - How the mythology connects with the politics, What the bloody Hell happened to the Thirteen? How they connect with the Cybertronian politics? Only the movies have attempted to connect them, and even then it was vague.

C - The economy for the aforementioned reasons.

D - A coherent Cybertronian history wouldn't be that bad either, even I had a very long one that was pretty good.

9. Deltus

Deltus 異種

Another thing I want to see of least in the Animated and Prime universe is Cybertrons relation's with the Quintesson or any foreign relations.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would also like to see Cybertronian civilization not be millions of years old. 100,000 years is a really long flippin time and plenty to allow for all of Cybertronian history.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Everyday Cybertronian life would be interesting to look into. So much TF media has focused on their conflicts that we don't really get a feel as to what their existence as civilians was like.

I like this one. I'm thinking there's a place on Cybertron where all the inhabitants are cyclopean. Probably could add Lugnut to the mix, too.

12. Rewind Eject

Those are all good points that I wished I remembered to put. The mythology one is really important because in every story we see, they tell us for a fact that Unicron is a Dark God, Primus in their god, and he created the thirteen. I want a little more ambiguity. Where are their boogeymen or cryptid creatures?

Sorry, I don't know how to quote two different people so:

@Ryoku, I agree completely. The most annoying part is how they say that it has been ten billion years since the autobots and decepticons crashed to earth when they woke up from stasis. They return to cybertron and... nothing changed.

@Natchsider, Thanks for liking my observation. I would love to see that part of Cybertron. All we need to do is come up for a reason for the single eye.

13. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Cybertron's Brothels.

...Just out of curiosity of course.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What TFA was doing was the right idea.

15. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cybertronian education, military training, practice of religion (if any), and wildlife (like the Insecticons in Prime and the giant worm things in WFC).

16. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I'd like to see this as well. It always seemed to me that the "millions of years" thing was an example of the writers having no sense of scale whatsoever. I would even like to see a Transformer's lifespan reduced to a thousand years, maximum, and that's pushing it.

I also want to see more of their mythology, beyond the Primus/Unicron/Thirteen. As Rewind Eject put it, I want to see their boogeymen, their cryptids, the monsters that haunted them in the past.

What I would really love to see is an actual Golden Age, one that doesn't have that ridiculous caste system. It could be a true republic that recognizes the rights and freedoms of its citizens, to give a greater sense of tragedy, of how the Great War ruined so many lives. Now, it's a case of "oh, it sucks that our world is destroyed, but that Golden Age, I sure don't miss it."

17. Rewind Eject

Personally, I think with some minor tweaks, the caste system could be a lot better (Not for real life, for Cybertron of course). All you haves to do is seperate the castes into fields where you can expand in. Like a Constructicon caste, it could miners, demolitionists, and builders but also engineers, architects, and foremen. Next, make a Caste exchange program for the disgruntled who want to go from constructicon to combaticon and voila! It is turned from evil prejudiced society to not perfect but still fair autocracy.

18. Honorbound

There's no such thing as a fair autocracy. An autocracy is by definition all power concentrated on one person, and as history has proven over and over again, and will continue to prove until Judgment Day, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Look at Soviet Russia, Nazi Germany, Communist China, the tin pot dictatorships in Africa, the old European monarchies, and even further back, to Rome, to the Mesopotamian civilizations. If you don't like the job he's doing, too bad for you; you have no power to change out autocrats: the autocrat doesn't brook challenges to his authority, and it always ends badly.

As for your idea, that may have been how it started, but with a government's natural inclination to expand and claim more and more power, the caste system would fossilize, locking people in place.

People don't naturally call into artificial castes or categories like that, and that includes Cybertronians. Trying to force it only leads to tyranny. What if the people being governed don't want a caste system? Who determines what the castes are, or what people belong in what caste, or what priviledges and rights the castes have? The whole system is screwed up; if the writers want an oppressive system, they picked a good one, but calling it a Golden Age is an insult to the phrase. The Gilded Age is more like it, since even at it's best, it's nothing but a gilded cage.

19. Rewind Eject

Ah, well that's what I get for using word roots in place of a dictionary. I read the word in tfwiki on cybertronian politics and using the context with the city states and what "auto" and "cracy" usually imply, I thought it meant a government that runs on its own with no one person or even group holding all of the power. Turns out to be the exact opposite :eek: .

As for your idea on my idea :wink: , politics eventually corrupting make for great storylines. However, I stand by the idea that the bare bones of this system may not be perfect (but I have yet to find a perfect government), it just makes sense for Transformers. You see these guys with guns for arms and no matter what system you're using, some (I'll admit it and say it) Beurocratic jerk is going to say "You, you'll be a soldier". I'm not looking for some utopian system, I just wanted something that referenced their machine like nature, could work out fairly for a while (as you've admitted), and leads to interesting characters, motivations, and storylines.

20. Honorbound

Don't worry about it; these things happen. Lord knows I've stuck my foot in my mouth a few times.

You're right in that no government is perfect, but the caste system is pretty abysmal at it's core. It does work thematically for Transformers, as you've said, but not as a Golden Age, which I think is my big hangup. Besides, I don't think any caste system could last the way you suggested it for very long. The ruling caste, who makes all the decisions, would grow addicted to their power too quickly for it to be fair. Caste systems as a whole tend to be very rigid, with very little movement between them. It's their nature.

As an aside, the only way I can think of for the people to accept something like that would be in response to a major crisis or invasion, like how feudalism developed in Europe (which isn't how Exodus did it: the caste system came after the Quints had already been driven out), and even then, they and their descendant would pay for it.