Customs: What do you use to make stickers?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wreckgar, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Need to make some stickers/decals for an alternator I'm making. Need advice on what to use.

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I print my stickers out on full sheet labels then cover them with clear packing tape, to give them a nice shine. It brings out the color some too. Then I just cut them out and apply. Hope that helps.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Inkjet decal paper, and a spray can of clear coat.

What can I say? I preffer water slide decals.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Embellishing on Greyryder's post...

There are two ways to do this. I use both methods:

1. Pick up some decal film. I use Experts-Choice 3-sheet variety pack, which is their product #120. This stuff is both available online or at most hobby shops. The great thing is that you can print onto the decal paper using a regular inkjet printer.

2. Pick up some MicroScale Industries Liquid Decal Film (product #MI-12) in order to set the decals once you've printed them out.

3. To apply the decals properly, check out Testor's decal application package, which comes with decal set solvent and decal set. I've used it for years and always get fantastic result.

...or, there's always stickers:

rippedsheets.com has clear labels which you can print straight from an inkjet printer. They also have white labels. Hell, they got damn near everything.

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:

W/ dacals, can you still have light colors over dark paint? I've been toying w/ the idea of trying decals but have not done so thus far. I have stuck w/ white label paper.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, here's the problem with that - your regular inkjet printer blends its colors with the default idea that it'll be mixing everything with a white background, so, if it wants to print light blue, it'll only print 1/3 of the blue mixture (just for example.) Without the white background, thus just becomes a hazy-looking blue.

The trick is to use decal paper with a white background. The three set of decal paper I mentioned above has 2 sheets of clear and one sheet of white backing.

...I messed around with this when I was doing the Streetwise kitbash and you'll notice that some of the Fairfax Police decals - which include all sorts of white stripes - are awkwardly color-matched. I had to print the dark blue color IN BETWEEN the white lines in order to figure out which areas I needed to cut out of the decal paper. That was harsh and I'm never doing stripes like that again.

...still, I've seen your stuff, Gen. Magnus, and I know you'd be capable of putting together a fine set of decals...the biggest trick with the light colors vs. darker paint is finding a color balance that'll make a different color of stripe/text/whatever stand out against the paint you used.

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:

Thanks for the compliments. I guess it makes no real difference if I use labels or decals. Oh well.

I have an idea for my next one that I hope will work. This time around, I am working with Tamiya paints so I should be able to use the 'dropper tool' in PS to grab the color from their color chart to match the background color as best as I can. This one is going to have one major label on the chest / hood, so it has to be as close as I can get it.