What do you think the odds are I could get a SDCC Hot Rod tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Jul 25, 2007.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That..and how much is he supposed to be?

Never been to Comic-con before, and I figure why not try to get an exclusive, espescially one that I like the look of.

Might try and find the Stan Lee figure too, I dunno.

Edit: Meant Rodimus Prime...

2. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You better camp out overnight or at least try to get there real early in the morning. I know someone who's going to Comic-con and she said she was going to get there at 6am. Good luck!

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Should be getting there a bit after 10 (so not until after the Con opens)...

Meh, might get lucky I suppose..if not ah well, just more money I can spend on other things.

4. oldg1fan

oldg1fan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The comic shop owner in my town went last year he said that everyday HTS released a set amount of the alternators figure. so you may have luck and pick one up. good luck

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Thanks.

I don't own any alternators, and I think he'd be a nice way to start things off.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The doors to the dealers open at 10. The line will be huge just to get in the doors. You're going to want to get there early and weasel your way towards the front of the line. Then check the map they will give you to find the hasbro booth, and plan to run faster than you've ever ran before to the line for Hasbro when the main dealer doors open.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice.

What's the price on him supposed to be? I have about 70 bucks for food and souveniers..

8. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $24.99. Also if I were you I'd bring a couple of bottles of water and some snacks, foods gonna be a rip-off.

9. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just got off the phone with a friend at the preview night at SDCC. He told me that the Hasbro booth was a nightmare, a lot of people got turned away for no apparent reason, the Hasbro sellers had no idea what they were doing, and they started handing out vouchers to come back tomorrow for the exclusives. Lots of angry collectors...

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Thank God, he's cheaper than I thought (was thinking he'd be twice that).

Yeah, friends and I are probably gonna eat on the train down to San Diego...more money to spend at the show is always nice.

I plan on picking up:
    SDCC Rodimus Prime (again, hopefully)
    Marvel Civil War TPB

Only two things that I HAVE to get, anything else is just a bonus really. Gonna see what all there is at the Hasbro booth, maybe I can find 08 BB -_-

11. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

You don't have any alts? Damn, Rodimus is a retool of one of, if not the best alternator mold (IMHO). Silverstreak is still my favorite... but Mirage is just in a different league.

Good luck!

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, I had stopped collecting for a long while and pretty much missed out on Alternators and Classics, so I plan on taking this chance to at least get something for the line.

I really dig the way Rodimus looks, which is the main reason I want him and I have heard some nice things about the mold itself.

If I can't pick him up, I can always try and find Ravage ;) 

13. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They tend to allocate a limited amount for sale every day, so if a batch sells out tomorrow, you can probably get one the next day, but I think there's a limit on how many you can buy

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Only going for tomorrow sadly...

I'm sure if I can't get one tomorrow I could try HTS..maybe.

15. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:

there's a good chance you can score one tomorrow, I think last year's Nemesis Prime are limited to a couple of thousand pieces per day. they spread it throughout the weekend

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If last year is any indication, rodimus will be sold out at HTS tomorrow before most people even see him in stock.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I was able to talk my friends into hitting Hasbro's booth first thing tomorrow, so odds are at least somewhat in my favor.

Anyways, I'm getting up at 5:45, heading to my friend's at 6, train leaves at 7:52 and arrives around 10 or so..

Think I'm gonna call it a night somewhat soon-ish here.

18. The Rage

The Rage Parapsychologist

Ebay:
    If Rodimus goes on sale at 9 AM EST, check the webpage before you head to your friends house.

19. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

You have no idea. I'm still pissed just thinking about it. I got there a bit late, due to the traffic being even heavier than I expected. (I entered the doors around 6:05.) After picking up my badge, I went straight to the HTS booth. As I expected, the line was long. I figured I was probably too late, but went to the end of the line anyway.

A short time later, one of the HTS workers came around yelling that the line was capped, and everyone was supposed to leave and come back later. That was annoying, but I went ahead and started wandering around for a bit. After 10-15 minutes, I came back to check again. They still were saying to come back later.

So, my wife and I wandered on down to one end of the floor, browsing as we went. I even got to pick up a Revoltech Megatron from a local import shop's booth! :D  Then we headed back to the HTS booth, hitting up the stands on the other side along the way. We got there, seeing the line apparently having grown again, we went to the end.

Sure enough, a few moments later, an HTS worker again came along shouting that the line was capped, and we all had to leave. By this point, several of the others around me were getting rather upset, same as I was. We didn't move. My wife went off to talk to the guy and find out what the deal was. After she talked to him, the guy started shouting what he had just told her. They were going to start handing out tickets to get into line in a half hour. Anyone who hung around to try to get one would be blacklisted for the night and not allowed entry to the line. :redface2: 

By this point, I was really getting pretty annoyed. They weren't giving any explanations and were just dismissing people that weren't part of that very first group, even threatening to blacklist us for wanting their products too much apparently. They were seemingly only accepting customers who just happened to show up at the random times that they were accepting people. With no other choice, my wife and I headed off to the other end of the floor to check out the other shops.

About 20 minutes later, I started to head back to HTS. After about 5 minutes, I find myself in a huge mob of people, all seemingly headed toward one spot. All I could really see were lots of people crowded around a particular spot with their arms outstretched, all trying to reach past each other to something. Eventually I saw that there were HTS workers there. Shortly thereafter, said workers started shouting at the crowd to back up. After another minute or so, I saw the people in the front start leaving en masse. I eventually got close enough to hear them saying that the next batch of tickets would be given out an hour later.

I was really getting pissed now. They had told me to come back in a half hour. I got there about 25 minutes later only to find they had already given out all the tickets and wouldn't give out any more for another hour. What's more, they had a schedule of when to come back based on your ticket number. They had already booked their lines through 2:00 tomorrow afternoon! Not only were they not accepting anyone else tonight, but they apparently had made it pointless to show up early tomorrow!

Just for the hell of it, I did indeed come back about 45 minutes later. By this point, they had given up any pretense of giving out more tickets tonight, saying they would give out tickets again tomorrow morning at 10:00. Not that it'll do any good to get there at 10:00 the way they're going. Judging by how they handled tonight, the people who get there at 10:00 tomorrow will get to come back later that evening to get the leftovers that no one wanted, while the people who just happen to be around when they start giving out the right batch of tickets will get to come in early Friday to get the good stuff.

This was simply the worst run, most unprofessional sales organization I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. The workers who were talking to the crowd clearly had no idea what was going on. More than once, I heard those workers saying stuff along the lines of "That's what I was told, I don't know any more." They clearly were utterly unprepared for the number of customers they were getting. They rushed through the process of coming up with a solution, and came up with a horrible one that throws out any concept of "first come first serve" for "you'd better hope you happen to walk by at just the right time."

First thing when I got home, I decided to send HTS an email letting them know what I thought of their work. Turns out the "Contact Us" link on their FAQ page is dead, just linking to a non-existant #contact on their FAQ page. Given what I saw tonight, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at such ineptitude. Then again, maybe they just know how badly they ****ed up and don't want to hear about it...

They had better shape up real fast, or "Lots of angry collectors" is going to be an enormous understatement. :mad 

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wish i lived in San Diego,I want to get Alt.Hot Rod,Why HASBRO WHY!!!!!!!!