What do you think Starscream would be like as an Autobot?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by NaCl, Apr 11, 2018.

1. NaCl

NaCl Fry cook

We've already seen him as a neutral leader of Cybertron, but what if Optimus had somehow convinced our favorite opportunist to be an Autobot and brought out the best in him?

I personally think that a heroic Starscream would be a good conversationalist, able to convince his allies to follow him blindly, and he would use this blind trust to create his own unit and perform to his own standard of heroism and grandeur.

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Eventually, people with this sort of personality get restless and envious of others. It would only be a matter of time before he either left the Autobots voluntarily or gets himself thrown out. And if he created his own unit, he'd take them with him.

• Like Like x 5
  3. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    If you want a brave, heroic Starscream, you can watch the Armada cartoon.

In 1 episode he even said "We Autobots" :) 

• Like Like x 5
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Isn't that why Shattered Glass Starscream exists?

• Like Like x 4
  5. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He would be the one Autobot that lives because he is a coward who flees in the heat of battles

6. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Nope, different.
    The op is asking for Starscream as an Autobot, or a 'good guy'. Presumably, everyone else stays put.

In shattered glass, All Decepticons are good guys, not to mentions Autobots are the bad guys. Complete universe reversal.

7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Optimus would have to be constantly reminding him that the Autobot's mission is NOT the destruction of Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

A narcissist and constant glory hound that always tries to play the leaders into giving him more power and authority?

9. NaCl

NaCl Fry cook

Optimus's sugar baby. That made me chuckle a little.
    Or the seeking of personal glory. Like Sentinel Prime from Animated maybe.
    That's correct, I always wondered what Starscream would be like if he were on the Autobots because they're nice and supportive. Everyone on the Decepticon side is either blindly obedient, sadistic, or both. And Megatron doesn't like having people in charge other than him.
    By contrast I wonder if being supported and having friends would have made Starscream a different person instead of the traitorous but cowardly snake he already is.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Depends on Starscream's origin. Often, Starscream's lust for power is what actually drives him to become part of the Decepticons and rise to being second in command. He also usually knows Jetfire, who turns Autobot, so positive influence doesn't change Starscream.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He'd betray Optimus and try to be the Autobot commander.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LTprime98

LTprime98 Well-Known Member

Probably like crosshsirs

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Maybe you need to rewatch the cartoon and reread the comics. Starscream didn't shy away from any fight, except from Megatron, and that's only after he's tried and is unable to beat him. I don't know where the hell this whole "coward Starscream" thing comes from, but it's completely incorrect.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I can't see Starscream working as an Autobot. At least not G1/Animated/Prime/movie Starscream. Armada is the only exception and he did actually become an Autobot and did fit in properly.

But all other version have a personality that doesn't fit in with the Autobots. He's too likely to try and kill and backstab for his own personal gain. Varied as they might be in characters, that kind of attitude doesn't fit and he would likely be booted out or deserted out of frustation by being kept in low positions.

For G1 there might be an acception, depending on interpretation. The G1 cartoon states in one episode that Megatron built up the Decepticon forces by capturing and reprogramming non-Decepticons (the Constructions are named as an example) with the robosmasher. That at the time made me think back to the Starscream-Skyfire relationship mentioned in an earlier episode, where Starscream was a scientist in the past. It could be interpreted that Starscream was captured and reprogrammed by Megatron sometime after Skyfire got lost.

In that scenario Starscream would be a completely different robot and as a scientist he may have joined the Autobots. But that scenario is complete interpretations (it never is established that Starscream was indeed reprogrammed) and he would be a completely different character in that case.

Starscream never flees in the heat of battle. Actually, in the G1 cartoon that describes Megatron: as soon as Megatron gets even the slightest injury he calls for a retreat, completely independent of how the rest of his forces are doing. Starscream is one who will abandon a fight he knows he can't win or which will result in serious damage to himself.

Not completely incorrect. For example, in Marvel US #59 when Pretender Starscream gets shot resulting in Megatron's reprogramming to be broken, both the accompanying text and Ratchet describes him as a coward within. But at that time it was Starscream on his own (well, with his pretender shell) fighting against a large group of Scorponok lead Decepticons plus Optimus and Hot Rod. Not very good odds, even though he managed to beat them before his save-my-own-ass-first personality was acitve.

But else I completely agree with you. Starscream isn't really a coward. He is, however, very vain. And ambitious. So he will try to snivel out of a battle where the odds are very much against him. But to call this cowardice...I'd rather go for ensuring that he remains alive to continue his ambitions.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    He'd spend his episodes in the brig or trying to escape. His assassination attempts aren't exactly subtle and he'd be gunning for rule of the Autobots, because no one in their right mind would let him be second, third or even tenth in command.

16. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From Revenge of the Fallen
    Megatron to Starscream referring to TF1: “You left me to die on that pathetic planet”. Starscream blasted off to outer space.

Starscream to Megatron after the defeat of The Fallen: “not to call you a coward, master, but sometimes cowards do survive”.

Not the most courageous Decepticon in movie verse.

17. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Well, that depends.

In the first movie when Starscream fled this was the battlefield situation: Destroyed Decepticons: Demolisher, Blackout, Brawl/Devastator, Megatron. Unknown: Frenzy (who killed himself) and Barricade (simply missing). Active Decepticons: Starscream. So there was one active Decepticon (Starscream) and four Autobots (Optimus, Ironhide, Ratchet and the damaged Bumblebee), plus the human military had done quite a bit a of damage.

Retreating under those circumstances isn't cowardice. It's common sense. (plus, it enabled him to take care of young Decepticons who else would've starved.)

Likewise, in RotF Optimus had just been resurrected and gotten an upgrade which he used to kill the Fallen, Devastator was scrapped, almost all (if not all) of the Decepticon forces were beaten by either the Autobots and the humans. So all there was left was a damaged Megatron and Starscream. And the whole purpose of the battle was also nullified.

There was no point in continuing the fight and if they did, they would be killed. That's again not true cowardice nor fleeing in the heat of battle. That's leaving battle field that's lost before you get killed just like all your fellow soldiers were.

I've seen no indication in the movies that Starscream was a coward. I've seen him employ common sense and leaving a battlefield when he was the only or one of the only two remaining Decepticons who still functioned.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos New Holder of the Matrix of Leakership

News Credits:
    He would be the Mr. Satan of the Autobots!

Start off as a massive blowhard and fraud who claims he is this amazing fighter who did amazing things but in reality doesn't do much other than make a scene. However... as time went on Optimus would realize that the humans of Earth LOVE Starscream because they think he is this great warrior and as such he would become the ambassador of Cybertron to Earth and the Autobots (especially Prowl) would pin their successes on HIM so that they might continue on fighting in the shadows without have to deal with press junkets and such. Starscream, in part, would LOVE his job and wouldn't want to be leader of the Autobots because he would see it as beneath him... better to be the ambassador with the parties and the perks. And Optimus wouldn't mind as he would hate those things and prefer to let Starscream deal with that. And furthermore, Starscream would be great at his job, able to lie and bluff and get the Autobots what they need.

19. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me! Studio Trigger for Transformers!

I think Starscream would be more of an inventor alongside Wheeljack as well as an explorer, like he was originally before Skyfire/Jetfire went missing. The fact Megatron wouldn't be there to abuse and belittle him would mean he could flourish and be more open as well as a possibly laid back mech, but not to the extent Jazz is. However, I do believe that Starscream would also be quite the formidable opponent when in battle, as he might be a coward in his usual iterations, but he IS the SIC and Aerial Commander for a reason.

I do believe if he is unhappy with the way the Autobots do something, he would be the first to be vocal about it, but again, without Megatron to abuse him for making a note of such tactics, Starscream wouldn't need to be afraid for his life, or plead for it. He might have a bit of Mirage's personality too, as in being a bit arrogant because he is a flyer and a smart mech, but a loyal mech regardless, even if he might not believe in the Autobot cause sometimes, or most of the time. However, I believe he would, as stated above, be a laid back mech as well as confident in his abilities. Just my :2c: 

20. NaCl

NaCl Fry cook

Has there ever been a reason for him wanting power other than just him being vain? I'd be interested in a scenario where Starscream is supported and backed up by competent allies who believe in his abilities. My interpretation for his need to assert the fact he's tougher than he actually is comes from the fact the Decepticons reward machismo and power with social/military status. In the Autobots nobody's expected to be an incredible fighter if they still give it their all.