What do you think of the three components of G1 Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only recently did I find out that Roller and the trailer are actually part of Optimus Prime, and that injury to either one of these two would be felt by Prime (called the Brain Center). I found it strange because I remember Megatron blasted his trailer/combat deck in More than Meets the Eye, without Prime even batting an eye. Furthermore, I don't think any other incarnation of Prime uses this aspect.

What do you guys think? Maybe my understanding of this is wrong, so please feel free to correct me.

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

This aspect is featured prevalently in IDW's Escalation. Firstly, there was a point when it looked like Blitzwing had gotten a bead on an unsuspecting Prime, only we find out that Prime was only pretending to be unsuspecting: he had Roller sneak up on Blitzwing. Afterward, during his battle with a Ore-13 powered Megatron, Prime came near being defeated. So, he had Roller blast Megatron from behind, and while Megs was distracted into burying Roller, Prime transferred his consciousness into his Combat Deck and faked his death.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's an awesome story in a UK annual that deals with this, but the details are fuzzy right now. All I remember is Roller being majorly upgraded...

4. AMG

AMG Old School

I think it's a cool concept, and one that I enjoyed seeing in action a couple of times in the cartoon.

5. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember seeing the trailer component only once in the show....Roller made several appearances I believe....His trailer was definitely underused....

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    A lot of times it goes forgotten. I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I would've thought it would make Optimus weaker on the battlefield if he's linked across three units, especially his larger trailer/battlestation making a better target if blasting it would affect Optimus.

7. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

They kind of ignored it in the cartoon. Remember in "More than meets the eye" when that crystal mine in Burma blows up real good?
    Prime shows concern for Roller and doesn't really know what happend to him/it.
    And then Roller comes out impersonating R2-D2 and one of the Autobots (Jazz?) says "Roller is one tough little Autobot".
    Also in "Attack of the Autobots" when they have to deprogram the Autobots that have gone bad, they have to convert each part individually if I remember correctly, I could be wrong. So in the Cartoon they are diffrent beings I would guess.

But yeah in IDW they made Roller and the trailer be part of Optimus.
    Also I remember an old Marvel comic where Megatron blows the trailer to pieces and Prime suffers because of it.

Myself I prefer to have atleast Roller as a sentient individual Autobot/or drone.
    I want my little cute Roller to be an indivdual in his own right dammit!

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Roller should be a sentient, transformable Mini-Con.

I prefer Powermaster Prime, though.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Severly under-used concept. It's very interesting to have Optimus Prime split up over three components, too bad it's rarely referenced or capitalized on.

10. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Now that might explain the importance of "Convoy Sleep Mode".
    Prime's body was damaged. Trailer (with Prime's conscious) was hiding somewhere with Roller (both transparent).

Prime was faking his death. :D 

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this always had me wondering what other multi-part bots operated like Prime.
    Like Omega Supreme's tank and rocket parts being independent and yet part of him.

also, Prime's components have one small drawback, imo.
    Shouldn't Roller have the ability to tow the trailer?
    if Prime is damaged -like he was in MTMtE and i think Huffer towed his trailer- why couldn't Roller do it? Prime shoulda been stuffed in the back, and had the station working on him as Roller returned them to the Ark?

ok, enough ranting.
    i do like the complexity it gives Optimus. that isn't at issue with me.