What do you think of the army?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Richard Prime, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Richard Prime

Richard Prime Banned

I feel that the army wipe so many cons in both movies do guys think they should get rid of them in the third one or leave them in. Tell me how would you get rid of the army or if you like the army want the amry to fight which con?

2. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

I think they are totally annoying. Don't get me wrong, the U.S Army is a powerful force but against a bunch of pissed off D-Cons - they would get owned. At the start of TF1, Blackout takes out a whole base on his own. I just think Bay licks the Army's arse and feels that he has to big them up as much as he can. Plus, any army character is generally cheesy - just like Lennox and Epps... "bring the rain" what the hell is all that about?! I'm pretty sure that if you were fighting a marauding Decepticon you wouldn't be as level-headed as that, no matter how well-trained you were. I hope they all get flattended in the third film :thumbs2: 

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think they're overpowered. Might as well leave the Autobots out entirely and leave the Decepticon-busting to the military alone.

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think you should join it.

I'm happy to suffer through any hyper-patriotic RARGH RARGH WE KICK ASS nonsense they throw at us if it means the movie dudes keep up the good relationship with the military and the access to hardware / cooperation that it brings.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This.

6. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this

7. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

You do know there are other branches of the military besides the army, isn't there? Such as the Navy, Marines, Air Force, and the Coast Guard?

Anyway, keep them in. They are basically our best line of defense against the Decepticons. Besides, you have the risk of people whining " Where's the military?!" if you see the decepticons blow stuff up and nobody is around to stop them..

8. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    i really hated that the jordanien army seems to be weak and the dsame helicopters from the us army are superpowerful!

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ah but there helicopters are super fast, able to cross a sea and arrive at the battle field before Egypt's own military.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Egypts army were busy with scorponok, thats one pesky scorpion.

11. Primesfist

The mighty Lennox could take them all on, on his own...

12. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily mind seeing the military footage in the movies....what I do mind is that the end of ROTF was primarily the human military vs the Decepticons (and the military won reasonably easily). Other than the Twins fighting Devs briefly, the BB vs Rampage fight, and the OP vs Megs vs Fallen fight, there wasn't any robot on robot fighting. It was all humans fighting Cons with the occasional bot in the background shooting a gun. I'm still waiting for my Bot vs Con battle royale....like the forest fight but with several bots and cons duking it out.

13. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see a point to having them in the film since it seems right that they would take an interest and Nest is a cool idea... But in the film they came off as team america world police only not funny and the rail gun... no thx.

I did like that guy who was the go between between Prime and the president. He did bring up a of issues and prime basically told him to stfu...

14. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

I love the army, BUT.
    They should be scrapping insurgents and stuff like that, maybe keep them in the movie, but actually have focus on the Robot vs Robot fighting that makes a movie a Transformers Movie.

15. Primesfist

Yep, hope that there is a massive Bot vs Con duking sesh in the third film!

16. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    i don't know if you know that, but near cairo is a jordanian military airbase!

17. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I love how all the deceps are just basically surrounded by a stationary set of tanks and what not and somehow they dont wreak havok on the military at all.

The whole military thing is an add for JOIN UP and its lame. If you look at the military's commercials in the US and look at the long ( very long in the life of this movie ) sequences where they mimic the same thing from the commericials you realize that this is just propaganda. They try in both cases to show an exciting combat situation where they have every line drawn out and show them as a tactical machine of percise execution of commands and processes. I think the military involvement is far to great in the movie as they try to bring the military to the fore front in a way it would never be in reality. NEST has to be an international org it cant be US because China would never let the US army come in and do what the Chinese army could definately handle but even then its just not a realistic portrayal of armed forces.

18. swooper_d

swooper_d Active Member

Hi everyone, first time posting on this forum!

I think on one hand the army are necessary. Afterall, it would be daft to assume that the army would not get involved in a conflict between two alien races fighting on our planet. Even if the army were overpowered at first (which they were) it would be likely in the real world that a joint strike would be organised with the Autobots as opposed to just leaving them to it. Their presences addresses what is pretty much a recurring flaw in most transformers fiction and that is that the humans do not fight for themselves, rather leaving the outcome in the hands of an alien race.

Where this becomes a problem, especially for me is when the army overpowers, damages and even kills decepticons. This takes away a lot of the reason why we have the Autobots. One of the scenes that irks me about the new film, as much as I love it, is seeing Megatron being damaged and forced to retreat under a slew of shots from the humans.

As far as Im concerned, allowing the army to deal such damaged removes a lot of the peril and threat from the transformers themselves. Its not necessary that they inflict so much injury on the Decepticons. Doing so makes the Autobots almost superfluous in the conflicts.

So in my opinion, yes keep the army in, they are needed, but dont have them do the Transformers a diservice by having them wipe out and damage large numbers of our favourite robots. These are films called Transformers afterall...

19. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

The problem is, for starters Optimus disn't bring the heavy hitters of the Autobots like he should have. Sure Ironhide, Ratchet, and himself are decent fighters, but they are only 3. Whereas Megatron had at least 3 Heavy Hitters ( Blackout, Bonecrusher, and Brawl/Devaststor) as well a wild card which is Starscream, who is a decent fighter , but also can get out of a scrap real quick if need be.

Same with ROTF. The Decepticons had the constructicons, Devestator, and the fallen to beef up their odds.

Hopefully, by TF3, the Autobots' heavy hitters will artrive, and you will get your desired Robot Vs. Robot Action.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

On one hand I like having the military in the movie because this is Earth and there is something in our DNA that makes us defend what is ours.

But damn the military just cake walks right over the Decepticons. It's like the Decepticons really don't have any chance at all against the might of the humans so there isn't really any tension there. It just feels like when a Decepticon pops up they are as good as dead because the humans will just call in an air strike or a rail gun to take out the bad guys. Other than Prime to defeat the Fallen it seems like the humans would manage just fine without the Autobot's help.

Plus I really don't like the way they have NEST in the movie. It seems like the Autobots are just a tool of the American government now since they have to stay on a military base until the US government gives them the green light to do anything. Just seems a bit weird that the Autobots would come to Earth to only ally themselves with one human government. Would be cooler if NEST was an international unit and not a US unit with a token Brit considering the whole world is threatened by the Decepticons not just the US. Although threat might be too harsh of a word given how weak and ineffective the Decepticons are.

Not only is there no tension to the film because of an overpowering military, but that wonderment of any car on the street could be an Autobot is gone as well since the Autobots only get out when there is a mission.

I say keep the military but they need to be a lot less powerful so they are not just walking all over the Decepticons.