What do you think of TF Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by megapork, Oct 16, 2011.

?

What do you think of TF Prime So Far?

1. Best Transformers Incarnation Ever

43.7%
  2. Good/Has Potential/Better than -Insert Franchise Here/Awesome

36.5%
  3. Decent/Needs some work/Has Potential but needs some work

12.7%
  4. It's good but -insert franchise here- is better

4.0%
  5. It's horrible piece of horse $#@! -insert rant of how bad it is-

2.4%
  6. Can't Decide/Can't Decide cause just watched -Insert something here-/Don't Really Care

0.8%
  1. megapork

megapork Cheese

So now that the first season is done. What do you think?

Voice out your feelings. Let it all out, Including that caesar salad you ate a few hours ago.

NOTE: If you have been watching MLP:Friendship is Magic. Recently, It's a good idea to wait a few hours then vote.

2. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It’s far more superior than Animated. (but then what isn’t) But still isn’t the G1 facelift most people like myself would like to see.

I’ve always hated the Shrek CGI styled animation, save for The Incredible’s movie and well...."Shrek". Plus the character designs aren’t anymore impressive than Bayformers. They made Optimus too damn preachy and as far as action goes it’s too one sided. I mean if Bumblebee, Bulkhead and Arcee can single handedly take out Starscream and 50 guards then what do they need Optimus for???

“Oh no it’s a nonspeaking "Sound"wave and 40 inept Decepticon guards, so lets make Wheeljack into Wolverine and have him flip around and take them all out before the next commercial break.”!.....SMH

That said, I don’t see myself setting up my DVR to record this show when I’m busy. (Joe Vs maybe) I’ll just wait for Hub/Hasbro to get their thumbs out of their rears and cough up some Direct to videos based off of IDW first 4 or 5 arch’s (AHM, Escalation, Devastation, etc.) Hint! Hint!

3. megapork

megapork Cheese

Then Vote on the poll, Man.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fantastic show. I have no major complaints.

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    This is WAY better than Animated but needs work with pacing and more robots. That said, I do like it. Other than the movie, it's the only TF show I liked since G1.

6. Rodan75

Rodan75 Active Member

News Credits:
    I think is a fantastic series but not (yet) the Best TF series ever... so I should vote "Good/Has Potential/Better than -Insert Franchise Here/Awesome"?

7. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

tf prime is great i can't wait for the next episode just like g1 when i had the show shipped to me.

8. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I watched is G1, RID, Armada, Cybertron, Animated, and Prime.
    I think Prime is the best among them, but I can't say firmly because what I finished watching is only Animated.

9. bio9205

bio9205 Knocked Out

I love TFP, but I think it hasn't fully tapped on its potential. For one, I would prefer more story arcs than just Macguffins of the week.

10. optronix72

optronix72 Autobot

Ebay:
    I'm an old school G1 fan, I didn't think any of the new stuff would keep me interested in any other way than collecting the new bots "you don't have to watch the shows to like the bots", but I was hooked from the first episode, and I wont lie, Peter Cullen and Frank Welker doing the voices for my two favorite characters from G1 "sparked" my interests a lot. Now I have a new favorite series with my favorites from G1 right where they should be, it's great, the stories are fresh and the animation superb.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Decent and needs some work, but has a lot of potential. It's done a very good job of taking the most successful elements from a number of previous continuities (G1, Movie, Animated, comics) and blending them together, along with introducing some interesting new characters. The animation is also very nice, the voice work is competent and the humans aren't too much of a detriment to the storylines right now.

My main problem with the series is the pacing. Far too many one-and-done episodes, important plotlines starting up with little or no foreshadowing/build-up (Unicron), plots being introduced and then disappearing completely (Starscream's defection, synthetic Energon) and storylines that flat-out haven't gone anywhere (MECH, Jack's mom being brought into the team). I'm sure some of these things will be addressed next season, but I'm worried that they'll just pop back up out of nowhere with no build-up or foreshadowing; the Starscream plot especially seems like it may fall victim to this. I have no problem with the done-in-one episodes, as they're good for developing the characters, but the writers need to get better at weaving the subplots into the background of those episodes.

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    It's decent but the spamming of Arcee/Bulkhead throught out the season killed the enjoyment since I don't like them in this incarnation that much.

It started getting good after Rock Bottom but it still didn't win me over

13. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    I like it alright... but I'd like another season of Animated a lot more.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's pretty good overall. Animation, art direction, voice work and music are all one of the best I've seen in television period. Everybody working on it is competent and it shows.

Character writing is top notch too, some like Bumblebee and Ratchet take the background but they are always very solid and believable with everything they do, except for Miko everybdoy feels like a "real" character, they do things that make sense, they react to things in beleivable ways and they only go against their own beliefs during heavy circunstances.

The plot however, needs more oomph to it, I know it's just set-up for season one, but they COULD have kept dark energon a background theme as the season went by, with little hints of something happening down there in the core somehow. I am sure we will get closure for Mech, for Syntheic Energon, for Starscream, those writers know what they're doing, but it wouldn't HURT if the season finale plot at least kept being mentioned. It would even build up Megatron being angry in One Shall Fall that he was stalling.

The show is very fun to me, have a blast watching it for many reasons, but they can do much better and I hope HARD that they do it because if they do there is a good chance of it being my favorite TF show ever, I still like TFA and BW better than Prime (TFA'S best season was 3 and BW's was season 2 IMO), but I liked TFP's SEASON 1 better than TFA's and BW's Season 1s, it had the better start, now please use your better start to achieve even greater things than the others.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going with has potential.

They have done some pretty cool things in season one but it doesn't feel like the series has gotten into great territory yet.

The cast feels a little too small. Kind of a skirmish instead of a war. Small cast worked for Animated but so far the cast just doesn't have enough character so if there is a character that you don't like it seems like they run that bot into the ground.

Really don't like Bumblebee.

Also feels like we don't ever get enough of the Decepticons. They are my favorite characters on the show so far but it seems like it's always the Autobots beating up on a group of the generic troopers instead of character vs character.

16. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    It's pretty good but I think it could be even better

17. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I've really only seen Prime, Animated and the Movies, with a bit of Generation One mixed in there, but I must say Prime is definitely tops on my list! It's absolutely brilliant.

18. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's ok.

The plot definitely needs to be improved in season 2. Season 1 was basically just random Saturday morning cartoon style episodes half the time being about finding cybertronian artifacts with practically NO foreshadowing to the finale whatsoever, so it ended up being a huge info dump of stuff that wasn't even mentioned before. Let's see...the Matrix of Leadership, the key to Vector Sigma, Unicron being in Earth's core, Primus, the original 13 Transformers, Megatron's history, Optimus Prime's history, Soundwave's history...

Optimus Prime stopped being boring ever since the four part finale started. Now I just want some Bumblebee and Soundwave development.

Overall almost on par with BW and Animated, already way better than the Japanese crap TV shows.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Needs some work. You have to sit through many episodes were nothing interesting happens and only in the pilot episodes and the season finale there is a bit more going on what I would want to see much more. The only other episode that comes to my mind that was memorable was the one where Blackarachnia appears and hunts for Jack and you learn something about Arcee.
    I would take the more interesting parts of other episodes and merge them into fewer episodes and of course rewrite the plot so the elements fit in. Just cutting the episodes and glue them together again would not work out. Some other episodes like those about Mech could stay the way they are and placed in between. They are needed to introduce something new.

If the season would be cut by half the episodes and the important plot parts still there, but embedded differently would probably be more interesting than seeing Optimus just commenting things wisely all the time and just show little skirmishes without having achieved much.

At least it's better than season1+2 of G1 where it's always Autobots facing Decepticons that try to steal something or manipulate something and then having them retreat.

But funny thing is, although Transformers Animated was no serious Transformers show, more like TMNT, it was mostly more entertaining.

Transformers Prime has no real weak episodes, actually you can watch every episode and you don't feel like wasting your time, but when you look back it seems like nothing much happened. The pace in the pilot and the season finale is much faster and that's bad in a way, because you were expecting the whole show to be like that, if the pilot starts that way.

It made the impression to me, that it's story telling would be somehow similar to that of LOST and similar exciting.

While LOST too had many episodes where not much happend in between, they managed to still make them feel important and exciting. I wish TFP would achieve something similar. But maybe in season 2 it will change.

Thundercats 2011 gets it right there. They have episodes that are not directly important to the mainquest, but are somehow sidequests and they feel interesting and can be watched as stand alone stories but as well in a continous serial way.

And I want to see more Autobots and Decepticons. Transformers Animated for example had a small main character roster too, but you saw other Autobots at least in transmissions from Cybertron or in Flashbacks, so they averted that you get bored by the same characters and fights over and over again.

Or look at LOST, they introduced new characters on a regular basis, but did not present back stories at once. Everything was a bit mysterious and time after time you got new pieces of flashbacks or flashforwards. That's much better than having new characters introduced and the whole episode centers around that character. In addition that's unrealistic. In real life all the time people just pop up out of nowhere and you don't know their backstory, but you don't have a problem with that, so why in tv shows? That's precious time that could be used to make a cool story instead of telling the people what this new character is all about.

But what's most importantly and makes me wait already for the next Transformers show: They need to get rid of the Animated style and Bayformers style respectively the amalgamation of both styles that is featured in TFP.

Wanna have cool robot designs? Look at japanese Anime or Manga. They look cool. They feature much detail and mostly look cool while still can be imagined as possible real designs for robots.

Or look at WFC or the IDW comics. They look cool. And much better than the movies or TFP. They should probably work much closer with those artists instead of inventing own new designs that fail to impress. The toys actually impress, because they manage to look like their onscreen counterparts in both modes. But that still does not make me like the designs as such.

They do have interesting stories to tell, but they have to improve on how they play them out. I will continue to watch the show anyway, because it is Transformers and a thousand times better than the movies, but it is not the holy grail of a compelling storytelling that I was expecting.

And the title theme by the way feels generic. Jerry Goldsmith or Basil Poledouris should be taken as reference for creating a great epic theme.

20. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

I think it's a great show, but it has a long way to go before it surpasses Beast Wars or Animated.