What do you think of Optimus Prime combining?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MrSoundwaveGuy, Jul 11, 2009.

?

Do you like Prime to combine?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I've never been a fan of Prime combining. Just because he's the leader of the Autobots doesn't mean he needs to combine with someone to defeat a stronger opponent. Somethings like in Animated when Prime gets the jet pack actually makes sense, it's the nonsense combining in Armada and Energon that bugs me. Why does Optimus have to combine with someone? He's the leader of the Autobots he can't just go off and combine with someone else to try to take down every Decepticon. A real leader wouldn't go off and try to take down everyone he's not going to risk his life, he'll send another Autobot to take them down. I don't know it's just something I've always hated personally, so I'd like to hear what others think of Optimus combining with other Autobots.

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voted 'yes', although some of that is because I like combining in general. I think combining can work as well for Prime as any other TF, but the problem I have is when it gets to the point that Prime is completely useless unless he's combined with something or he combines all the time, just for the hell of it. In RotF, Prime's able to kick ass prior to the combination (the forest battle), and only really needs it to take down a massively powerful adversary. Compare that to the A/E/C trilogy, where Prime either (a) combines with something to deal with even the smallest threat or (b) isn't worth much in a fight without combining with something.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think of it more along the lines that he's such a badass commander that he'll use his own subordinates as a jetpack or an extra fist if the situation calls for it--and his troops happily agree to it. Nobody complains about Prime needing a rifle.

4. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    QFT

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Pretty much.

And when they pull off a good Prime combination in toy form, very awesomesauce. RID Prime/Magnus, Energon Prime and Wing Saber, and Cybertron Prime and WS. Very awesome, indeed. Now when they fail, it is really bad. I'm looking at you Armada Prime/Jetfire/Overlord. I think ROTF Prime/Jetfire is rather meh too.

6. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Exactly, it almost feels like he's only suppose to combine to advertise the toy

7. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie - Yes

A/E/C - No

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doesn't matter what any of us think about it, it's going to keep happening so they can sell more toys

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't imagine why you'd feel that way. It's not like they produce TF fiction to sell toys or anything....oh wait....

D/L

10. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dig it. The toy aspect is fun most of the time. I even dig Armada Prime when he's combined with Overload. I love the BFGs

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I don´t. I prefer a optimus that is able to take on most enemies on it´s own, wiouth any help.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    A bit of both for me.

I like it when any Transformer can win a fight because they are intelligent and resourceful - see, Transformers Animated, and to a lesser extent, the movies.

What I am less fond of is mindless powering up to simply pull out bigger attacks - now, when it is used intelligently, for example, to give mission specific upgrades, that I have no bones with (Cybertron almost did it with the melee oriented Savage Claw, the high speed firepower Sonic Wing, and the heavy firepower standard mode, but Prime was weak without any of them, and Sonic Wing was massively overpowered to the point the other two were inconsequential)

Basically I feel there's more to these combinations than merely extra firepower - that is cool and all, but I feel there ought to be some element of tactics behind it or any upgrade. Even if it is just a time limit power boost. An overall power boost isn't quite so great because it is a zero-sum game - he powers up, the enemies power up, the drama is the same, the firepower is more over the top.

Toy wise, I love combiners so will take all the combining robots I can get. Though I'd prefer more new heads for Prime when combined. Even if it is just a new visor or head crest or something.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I usually like it, or rather, I can tolerate it. I really like it when it's well done, and adds something to the story, and dislike it when it's forced, and pointless. I've been thinking about getting a RID Ultra Magnus, just so I can combine him with my RID Optimus Prime (RID is my favorite TF show of all time :D ). It was ok in Armada, if a bit overused, not so bad in Energon, depending on who/what he was combined with, and worse in Cybertron, but didn't ruin the show too much. I really liked it in RID, because it wasn't just Optimus and just some Autobot, but was Optimus and his "brother", Ultra Magnus coming together to work as a team. Which in and of itself added something to the story. As for the toys, they can be fun, but to a certain degree, the whole combining gimmick is getting a little boring, and stale. They should either come up with a new and interesting way for TF's to combine, move on to update another TF gimmick (something like headmasters, or something), or come up with a new gimmick altogether, that doesn't ruin an entire line of toys (basically no wide-line gimmicks, like minicons an the like). Prime himself, imo, should get a new design (say in a new show, for example), that is free of any combination to other Autobots, or trailers for that matter. It was a nice break in Animated, so lets keep with that for at least one more show, before having him combine with someone/something else again.

14. AutobotIgnition

AutobotIgnition Well-Known Member

I mostly like Optimus combining, but then I was brought into Transformers by Armada, so it's kind of normal to me to see Optimus combine.

^ This. Exactly.

Edit: Oh, something I've just thought of: 'Savage Claw Mode' from Cybertron. Do not like.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  15. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

I love it!

16. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

It wasn't to defeat a stronger opponent. Prime was hurt and needed the matrix, or parts to be repaired. I had no problems with it because it was still mainly prime. Jetfire's parts were to supplement, and were more to boost him. Sometimes I think this movie should not have been called Revenge of the Fallen, but Rise of the Combiners.

17. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

I like it when Optimus combines with his trailer ala' Powermaster Prime.
    Otherwise, I always felt like that trailer just went underused.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't like it on the toy. I liked it in the show until they decided to use it in almost every. single. episode. That wouldn't be so bad either if it wasn't the same footage every time. I still loved Galaxy Force as a whole though.

19. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted yes, but just in the movie, even though I don't see it as 'combining' like he did in the show.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Nay. It has always become a crutch. You knew he couldn't really win a battle unless he was combined with something or someone.