What do you think of g1/

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by G1-LORD GANGSTA, Dec 9, 2010.

1. G1-LORD GANGSTA

G1-LORD GANGSTA Banned

I don't know if this question is been asked before, but if it has i apoligize. i just wanna know what the transformer community thinks; what is your opinion on g1 toys and g1 animated series. Do you think it's overated, underated, do you think it doesn't get the attention it deserves. What ever you feel i want you to say it.

2. G1-LORD GANGSTA

G1-LORD GANGSTA Banned

I for one think's it's underated and i will be honest im not saying that cause im a G1 die hard fan. And i also think of it bieng ahead of it's time and think they were the best toy line and series through out the franchise except season 3.

3. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

DA END ALL BE ALL...weither ya like it or not..everything begans and probaly will end with G1 tied into it...

4. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Agreed. G1 is KING forever and ever.

With that said, I'm not a geewuner by any means. Beast Wars and TFA had probably the best storytelling, Cybertron had probably the best animation (well, other than Prime, but that's yet to be seen...), and the movies have brought TF to the masses, but NONE of us would be here if not for G1. Can anyone deny that?

5. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Yep I totally agree.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

TF Prime is yet to be seen??/

You do know the show premiered Thanksgiving weekend right??

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    G1 wins every time for me.

8. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Heh, yes, I know; I've seen all 5 episodes. I meant in an overall, when-its-all-said-and-done kinda thing...

BTW, Are you the sto_vo_kor from Seiberton.com?

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    G1 toys = great

G1 comics = godly tier

G1 cartoon = shit

10. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

LMAO^^^...but it brings me back to a time when it all was so simple..bots and exploring the neighborhood..

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 because that's what I loved as a kid. I loved the cartoon and got into the comics until towards the end when it really started going downhill and I hit teen years.

The others are anecdotal to me because I'm not a kid nor did I grow up with them so I don't really care too much about them. I love the bots for nostalgia reason and actually like robots in general.

My ONLY complaint is Hasbro had something with the potential to be infinitely epic but mucked up marvel's choices in story. Coulda been on the star wars road or even disney but toys were and are primary to hasbro and the cartoons and movies aren't even secondary since they have to conform to their toy marketing. I wish they would make a line that dictated toys by which way the story was going and not vice versa.

12. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Most of the toys were okay (for the time) but some were just awful looking and the cartoon is fun but very overrated... I wish I could unsee B.O.T.

The Marvel comics are awesome though.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Love it. Has flaws, but was the base for everything after. That is all.

--Moony

14. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    But...The toys were just so bad...

15. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I love G1 for all its cheesiness, animation errors and crazy one off episodes that have nothing to do with anything. I definitely look at it with rose colored lenses, no doubt, but its a big part of my childhood, which was a good one. Rewatching G1 on tv is really nice and somehow trumps popping in any of the Shout Factory DVD's.

I think G1 episodes had some diamonds in the rough, whether it was an episode, a line from a character or a simple gesture. I was recently watching the episode that Carly first premiers in. At the end you see Carly and Spike drive off to go hang out and they end the episode showing the Autobots smiling at Sparkplug, and you see the approving smile from Sparkplug that only a parent can give when he or she sees his kid run off with a girl to go on a date. Its small things like this that make G1 charming even though its a chaotic mess on any storytelling level.

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not for the time. They were kicking action figure butt.

17. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'm not sure "underrated" even qualifies as a description for G1.

Overrated, yes, depending on who you talk to. I've known fans (some through this very forum) who are so diehard G1 that they don't even acknowledge that anything since even exists.

But no one can deny that G1 was the foundation for every TF-related series, toy and movie since the 80s. G1 spawned everything we know and love about Transformers, and I'd speculate that TF fandom numbers in the hundreds of thousands worldwide -- and considering the box office the last two live-action films have taken in, it's possible those numbers have surpassed the million mark.

And the fact that we are here discussing this 25 years later attests to the continued success of the franchise.

Even with all its flaws, G1 -- both the toyline and cartoon -- is about as close to "epic" as it gets. The G1 series can be awesomely bad and awesomely good at the same dang time. As a kid, all I cared about was transforming robots, and I loved everything about the show and even crappy episodes like B.O.T. were still fun to watch. Today, I still find the show entertaining -- it fills me with warm, fuzzy memories of childhood, and as an adult I find amusement in the moments of absurdity, blatant commercialization, silly plots, continuity and animation errors galore, and general 80s cheesy goodness.

And the toys -- blocky, stiff and crazy-colored as they could sometimes be (*cough* G2 *cough*) -- were the best things on the market at the time for the young male demographic I was in. And I still love collecting them 25 years later.

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This is the best I've heard this stated. My exact point.

19. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

I wasn't born at the time of G1, but I must say when I watched it, I felt it more of a comedy than a serious action series. I lost interest in watching it after a while, for I almost dozed off.

And the toys, I believe they have quality, great alt-modes, but the robot mode, show-accuracy, poseability and scale for some cases are pretty shocking imo.

20. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    This I can agree with.

But this left me scratching my head.

Anyway, the G1 cartoon is not underrated. Just because everyone is busy talking about TF: Prime, Classics, and the G1 toon doesn't mean-

...what?