What do you think about this...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marni, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Marni

Marni Bagel Eater

I’m going to rant a little about something that happened today…

Alright, so I get home from having a wonderful day that I spent with my niece and nephew, and get on the computer. After a while; my mother comes out with a note and says we need to talk. I say sure what’s up, and she said; ‘Your father left a note saying that someone took Maxina(my cat) to a vet to get her fixed.’

…WHAT NOW?!

I was furious. The note said that a ‘sweet old lady came by and asked us if we had a tabby female with a blue bell collar that was roaming around in her yard and that she had taken her to get spayed.’

Okay, I’m alright with her getting spayed and all, we were going to get her and our other cats fixed later this month anyway, but what REALLY ticks me off is she practically STOLE my cat to do it. If she was going to ask around about her in the first place she should have done it before she took her and asked for our permission! I don’t even know where Maxina is even at right now! The note also said we should get her back in 1-2 days, but I’m going to have trouble waiting that long for my kitty to be returned… I’m REALLY worried about her right now…

Sorry but it makes me feel a little better to talk about it, and I kind of want to know what other peoples thoughts about this are…

2. Mini-Bot

Mini-Bot Blackout Fan Girl

I would be severely pissed if anyone took my cats from me without letting me know where or why they are taking them. So you have every right to be angry and worried. Even if the lady was just being kind or whatever she shouldn't have taken your cat without your permission. It's not right. I hope it all works out and your cat is returned to you safely.

3. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

That's really horrible. I couldn't even imagine what I'd do in your situation. I would try to find out as much as possible right now about who this woman is and more importantly where your cat is. There's no guarantee this sweet, old woman had any intention of bringing your cat to the vet, or bringing it back. I really really hope your Maxina is returned to you safe. You have every right to be absolutely furious right now.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

It sounds like she didn't know it was yours specifically, just from somewhere in the neighborhood. Maybe she should have asked prior, but hell, she's an old woman and she got the animal fixed instead.

Chill out. Your cat got fixed with no bill to you, instead of getting hit by a car or something.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I say you're justifiably upset, and I commiserate with you over what's happened. No matter how good the intention may be, permission must always be asked before something like this is done. Hope your cat comes back okay... :( 

6. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Y'know, if a strange cat is roaming around my yard with a collar on, my first thought is not "Hay i Shud get it spayed!!1!" It is instead "I should call animal control and let them deal with it."

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The way people are irresponsible here in my town, people like that would be saints. Our wild cat population is getting bad. It is weird that she grabbed a cat that obviously had an owner (collar).

8. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Sucks to hear. But hey, glad it's your cat, and not my brother's dog. Anna got spayed I think a couple of months after we got her, and she's STILL bursting with energy.

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'd be mad too, if only because someone took my pet away without me knowing!

10. Marni

Marni Bagel Eater

Thank you for the replies. :) 

I REALLY hope that's not the case... o_o;

I'm chillin'. : D I feel a lot better than I did, but now I just want my cat back. <_<;

Well, she is an outside cat... maybe she wandered over to wherever the lady lives more than once and she thought she'd save us the trouble and just go ahead and take her to get fixed...

11. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Actually, its illegal for her to have taken the cat and for the vet to have done the procedure without your consent. In many places, cats, unlike dogs, are not subject to the same laws as far as roaming...some places consider them akin to wild animals in that respect. There are also laws in some areas that make it illegal to alter someone's animal without their consent, whether its spaying or cosmetic.

Do you know any other information about the woman? If you can, I would contact her straightaway and find out the name and contact information for the vet, then contact the vet and explain the situation. The vet will probably freak out about getting sued, even if you don't mention any such thing, but they NEED to know she did this and may do it again, making them party to a crime. Most likely she also took the collar off and misrepresented to the vet who's cat it was. I assume you have pictures? Tabbies have unique facial markings (like fingerprints unique), so if you have a headshot you'd be able to take it there and positively identify her as your cat, and get your cat back yourself instead of relying on the woman.

If this woman were grabbing obvious strays, I'd say she's doing a good thing...but she didn't. It wasn't her place to do a danged thing to your cat.

--Moony

12. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    The lady shouldn't have done that without asking but still.... her intentions were good. Personally, Id love it if someone spayed my cat for me...one less thing to worry about.

13. Jux

Well next time don't let it roam around a neighbor's yard. You're lucky it wound up fixed and not in the pound.

14. Marni

Marni Bagel Eater

As much as I would like to contact the old lady as to where the heck my cat is=NO INFO WHAT-SO-EVER, unless my dad didn't put that on his note or something... I'll have to wait until morning to ask him that though...

And I did have some pictures of her a few weeks ago, but my computer crashed and I had to wipe the hard-drive. Darn.

15. Moonscream

News Credits:
    But without knowing exactly where the woman took the cat and whether the woman represented the cat to the vet either as her own or as a stray, that may be exactly where the cat ended up as some shelters run low-cost spay/neuter/vet clinics, where an assumed stray would be later turned over to the shelter. Until the cat is located and back with her owners, there's no guarantee that Marni will get her back at all. Incidentally I DO agree with not letting them roam, but still, its not kosher to take a cat that's obviously someone's pet.

Oh man...I'll pray that she gets back to you safely. Please let us know what happens, okay?

--Moony

16. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow that was a bit bold of her. I mean she should switch places with the cat. I wouldn't want someone snatching me up and tinkers with my pluming.

17. Jux

Yes, which is why I recommended she don't let it roam around. You never know what could happen.

Next time could be:

[​IMG]

18. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow cruelest thing ever but a very very good point.:jawdropper: 

19. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:

I know I shouldn't laugh but.....:lol 

I'm sorry but its funny.

20. Moonscream

News Credits:
    That sign is sad, cruel...but unfortunately truth.

And like I said, I don't disagree with you re: roaming. All of my cats have been strictly indoor. Definitely would have been a preventative here. Doesn't excuse what the neighbor did, tho.

--Moony