What do you think about the Furman period in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Jun 20, 2017.

1. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I would suggest, based on the various documented interviews and comments and forum issues around AHM, you were right to feel distrustful of IDW editorial. That ushered in a period of creative who seemed almost embarrassed to be working on a "toy book" outside of the artists (and while I still really dislike his movie-style designs, boy did fandom destroy Don F during the ongoing).

I agree with basically everything you said. What drew me in about Infiltration was that it was "something new." It actually went back to "robots in disguise" as a concept and took it in a different direction. Dead Universe seemed like more of the same; his mystical stuff didn't land at all.

It feels like IDW, then, and right now, needs some level of "direction." Like where is this going? What is the end game? How can we work this together? If SimFur ended up just pulling things out of his arse with no clear throughline or plan, it feels like Barber and JRo are doing the same now. I know Roberts says he has the ending in mind, and I believe him. As a writer, things change, and it certainly feels like editorial has both hampered him and not helped him at the same time... if that makes sense? Between crossovers or forced things, but then not stepping in to help guide or make more concise his stories.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I was a HUGE fan of the Marvel UK stuff as it was coming out in the '80s, so RG1 was kind of a taste of home, in terms of the characters and story structure. So whereas the first time, that was a bit jarring and not necessarily the pacing and format I look for in a modern comic, in rereading it, it felt comfortable and I found myself enjoying it a lot more.

On the other hand, in rereading the main continuity, which I expected to like more, I found myself not really caring. I actually enjoyed it less than the last time I reread it. Without any tie to any kind of nostalgia, it's just a book. Occasionally good, mostly just okay. Sometimes not okay.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

I think Furman has great worldbuilding, cool characters, ways to keep the focus a bit with the humans and Transformers, and interesting scenarios, but at times he can get WAY to preachy and too pretentious. How many times are you gonna hear his Furmanisms before you get bored and drop the issues? How many times is he gonna make Grimlock the Gary Stu for the arc? How many pages is he gonna fill with deep political overtones that'd make George Lucas blush?

4. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Miles above most of idws current books.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Scurv

Scurv Well-Known Member

It was sooo good, Infiltration to Escalation is my favorite.

The Infiltration protocol phases, the slow introduction of fan favorite characters. Giving them updated designs. Restraint and giving characters their due.

Now its a whore show, characters everywhere, no restraint, personalities all over the place, wierd comedy lines, goofy magical tech like Killmasters wand, weird out of place social shit about feminism, gender equality, racism and Tumblr garbage.

They are losing money now, is it any wonder?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Member

It worked pretty well as an introduction to Transformers comics. I've been entirely out of the loop of Transformers fandom until recently, and even without hearing anything about it, Spotlight: Arcee was... unfortunate. I hear the line gets better about such things later, so I'm looking forward to that.

7. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Furman's run was like the Golden Era.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I really enjoyed it despite some overreliance on his old tropes. It was a fun read every month--kind of how I feel about TAAO. It wasn't a highlight of the pull list, but it was always fun.

However, there was no way that Spotlights & 6 interrelated limited series would NOT bleed readers. I know why they did what they did with AHM. I hate it and AHM was dreck, but I can totally understand why IDW did it.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, they bled me at the time. IDW made zero effort at letting readers know what the reading order was supposed to be or what was essential. I was just trying to jump on at that point, and I immediately jumped right back off. So I never read any of those stories until a long time after they were collected into tpb.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I liked it. Except for the Arcee thing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There were some interesting ideas, and most of the Spotlights (except the Arcee one) were quite good.

On the other hand, I also found the pacing to be incredibly slow, and the increased focus on "robots in disguise" never appealed to me. I'm more of the type to have the Transformers be public knowledge by page 12 of issue 1.

I also thought he was trying to juggle too many different plot threads all at once. There was the Decepticons, the Machination, Skywatch, and the Dead Universe all going on at the same time and competing for space (it took me several readings of various things to figure out that the Machination and Skywatch were two separate entities). The decision to make so much of the conflict "human focused" and seeing the Transformers through their eyes wasn't one I particularly cared for--I'd rather see us through their eyes.

I get, and appreciate, that he was trying to do something deliberately different from what we had seen before. But I think he went a little too far in that direction. There's lots of bits to like, but I prefer the post Chaos-Theory era and beyond by far.

• Like Like x 1