What do you think about the Furman period in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Jun 20, 2017.

1. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was very underappreciated. Especially after being replaced by Costa's run and much of what's happening in ongoing books now.

I'll take "bloated threats and getting quasi-mystical" over Autobots kissing stupid human asses any issue this lifetime!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it immensely and was very dismayed at what "All Hail Megatron" did to it. As a dedicated fan, I honestly felt that IDW couldn't care less about those of us who were invested and there from the beginning.
    But, I'm still here. So, maybe they were right to not care too much lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

It's okay. It has some bright spots in a generally slow story. It's tempting to elevate it a bit because it didn't get to finish, and because it's sandwiched between Dreamwave and AHM, both of which were weak.

4. misfire19d

misfire19d Esteemed member of the Order of Fries

Furman took one dimensional, boring characters and gave them depth and purpose. I could feel Grimlock's rage constantly simmering and barely under control in the War Within comics. I was empathetic towards Optimus's reluctance and doubt about the tough decisions he had to make in Marvel and DW. I felt Grimlock's, Jazz's, and Bumblebee's desperation in the battle against Thunderwing in the Matrix Quest. Primus d****t! I miss his storytelling. His was truly the golden age of Transformers Comics.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I love that marvel g1 stuff, but it was a long time ago. Furman seemed to not quite have "the touch" long past infiltration as far as IDW...

And I LOVE that marvel g1 stuff. Furman is the reason I love Bludgeon, Nightbeat, his kup is more what i hear in my head, his beautiful scorpononk (regeneration 1... Uggggh).

6. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Infiltration started good and I generally enjoy the spotlights, but quality slips by Revelation. Other than maybe Arcee because of it's implications his worst is more enjoyable than Costa and less bland than AHM. At least Furman was trying to tell a story, I got into IDW late and was introduced through comixology giving Shockwave and AHM 1 for free. Both were interesting starts. I didn't know they were supposed to be in continuity with each other and that one was screwing over the other so that had no part in this. I read AHM first. Issue 2 just did what issue one did. Ditto to issue 3. I gave up. The one thing you can't accuse ReGeneration one of doing is going nowhere. Maybe it went in bad places, I personally enjoyed the first arc at least and it did pick up again after the Scorponok crap, but volume one isn't the start of a record skipping back to the start after a promising intro. AHM's is.

Also any one of Furman's IDW humans beats out Spike. Spike needs to die. Come on Prowl, come back and squish him under a table.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Grimlock528

To be fair, Editor and Chief at the time Chris Ryall wanted a slow burn to the story. He also believed that space adventures had to be "earned, not given". Furman and Ryall both set out to say that Optimus and Megatron would not be front and center, and that this was a slow world building story.
    Agreed entirely that DW and AHM were just....ugh.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Grimlock528

My personal belief on what may have really hurt RG1, the fact that it was a finite series. RG1 was a direct result of G.I.Joe ARAH's return (with Marvel scribe Larry Hana). Compare the two series. There are plenty of things that I consider in ARAH going nowhere, or just being a waste of time, but I can be more forgiving as there is no "end" in sight. But with RG1, every page was precious. It was harder to forgive the wasted pages.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I really loved the "-Ations", even though they ended on a sour note with yet another unheard of interdimensional threat Furman pulled out of his ass. The beginning was awesome, it felt really cinematic and real world IMO. And I really liked EJ Su's art (dull expressions aside).

Regeneration1 was absolute garbage from start to finish though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grimlock528

I do have issues with RG1. Killing Buster & Jessie was just too dark in my opinion. If it were an alternate reality (which I guess it was), then fine. But as the "official" ending (which I guess it was), I just dont dig that. These characters should of had a happy ending.
    I did enjoy Rodimus Prime. For once, we had the hero that we needed AND deserved.
    But, not to rehash my point on it being a finite series, I feel as though if IDW simply said, "Have at it. Go as long as you want", then we would of had some pretty sweet storylines.
    But alas.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    To each their own. I didn't think ANY of the ideas in RG1 were well executed, compelling, or even good in the first place. They were bad as they were in small-ish doses, I shudder to think what they'd have been if they were allowed to be dragged out further in an open-ended series.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Grimlock528

Agreed with to each their own. Hell, who knows. Open ended could of been crap just as easily lol.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I reread both the main IDW continuity from the beginning until the end of MTMtE season 1 and Regeneration One around the beginning of this year, and I was surprised to find I enjoyed rereading RG1 more. I mean, I was kind of lukewarm on RG1 the first time, and the needle hasn't really moved much since then. But the main continuity was actually less enjoyable for me this time than the last time I read it. It doesn't stand up to repeated readings for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gregles

gregles quintesson

To me it was extremely mixed bag.

The Earth set ation trilogy are all pretty solid and his early idw comics contain some great world building giving us a well thought out new spin on the classic decepticon/autobot war. Sadly not all his early stuff was perfect as stormbringer started off amazing and had me mega excited at the time only to have the most hallow feeling anti-climactic ending imaginable.

One of my biggest problem with it was the dead universe stuff, sure it felt intriguing and mysterious to start with but the way revelation was rushed lead to that aspect feeling very bland and hampered with inconsistent logic and given how regeneration1 showed that furman can also make a mess out of a galactic mystical threat even with more issues so I have very little faith that this issue could have been rectified with more issues.

Spotlight arcee was problematic for many reasons. It was a very clumsy and awkward use of language which isn't ideal from a professional writer. It made using new female characters in the following years a big deal if not impossible without attempting to retcon his mess and make further problems.

The arcee Spotlight issue along with us bringing all of our own incecurities and bs related to gender into discussion about it caused as much if not way more toxic internet conflict than the current writers choosing to allow the transformers to express romantic affection. The damage those few fumbled lines has done has gradually healed over time and from a story point of view it sort of has been very slowly and softly retconed over (or at least kinda forgotten) but it sure was an epic fail on every level.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wasn't perfect, and the pacing was all over the place, but I enjoyed it a lot more than anything that came since from IDW.

16. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Giving anything a repeated reading is definitely the way to go. I've read RG1 a total of three times and I just couldn't get into it any of the times, no matter how hard I tried.

17. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Far too slow at first. I say this pretty much every time someone brings it up, but if Stormbringer and Inflitration had been remixed/cut into one good maybe 6 or 8 issue mini, with the mystery of why Transformers could no longer exist on Cybertron / battle against Thunderwing / new more galactic scope of the war coupled with Infiltration as a strong sub plot (as opposed to carrying a whole seven issue series on it's own), you would have had something pretty special. I warmed up to it over time, and by the time it was cut short, I was feeling it. Loved how the Spotlights were initially used; good character pieces laying foundations for things to come. Simon would have benefited hugely from a good editor who was familiar with Transformers... not because Simon wasn't or anything like that... but a strong collaborator to help him pare down some of the excess and fight against that kind of meandering, decompressed storytelling (which, to be fair, was very much in vogue at the time). I did think it was interesting that Simon tried to get away from some of the traditional stuff (Unicron, Matrix, etc.) and explain some things like Headmasters, Pretenders, female robots, mass shifting, why robots were in disguise, etc. Definitely some hits, and definitely some misses. I found EJ Su's art to be not particularly appealing, especially compared to Don Figueroa. I don't mind it as much now as I did then.

AHM was such an abrupt change; whether you liked it or not, and it made me very... I dunno.. distrustful? of IDW (or at least the people in charge of the Transformers stuff) for quite some time to come.

• Like Like x 3
  18. bigfootRULES

bigfootRULES Well-Known Member

When some of the charecters were swearing Primacron's name, i think Furman wanted to imply that Primacron created the Transformers.

19. Grimlock528

Same.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigfootRULES

bigfootRULES Well-Known Member

That would great to see another Transformers creation story besides the Primus/Unicron creation story or the Quintesson made origin

• Like Like x 1