What do you think about SEGA going downhill?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by optimegatron, Apr 3, 2012.

1. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    So you've probably heard about the fact that gaming company SEGA's extreme issue, and the fact they are going for "The canceling of development of some game software". That means gamers will lose some well know franchises, including Bayonetta, Golden Axe, and in the worst case, everything they owned, including their mascot: Sonic the Hedgehog. Can you imagine buying a game you remember so well, and look at the cover, seeing a franchise you've never heard of take SEGA's place? If you need slightly more information about the latter, here's an article regarding the subject.
    So feel free to tell your thoughts.

2. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    No surprise. Three biggest mistakes that lead to its downfall:

1. Sega Saturn
    2. Dreamcast
    3. Keeping Sonic alive on the respirator.

3. optimegatron

News Credits:
    I think the Dreamcast was a great way to dig up your grave.
    Nah, it was awesome at the time. I remember being a child and having tons of fun playing me some games...
    Also, many people liked the Dreamcast. It just wasn't enough...
    Also,
    I don't agree to this. Every single series experienced bad games. Think Hotel Mario. Sure, Sonic was on a streak of 5-6 of those, but Colors-Generations managed to steer him towards the right rail. But at this rate, I don't think anyone's going to find out exactly if SEGA will manage to put him back to business...

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I've got sympathy for people that can't pay thier bills because they've been put out of work, plus Virtua Fighter and Total War would be legit losses to gaming.

Beyond that thougth, fanboys need to stop apologising for them and move the fuck on. Being great 10-20 years ago doesen't excuse a decade of almost complete mediocrity or entitle them to stay in business forever.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I think they should just make new games in old style for download.

6. optimegatron

News Credits:
    They're doing the exact opposite. Releasing old games that were available in previous gens of consoles, and upgrading them to download on XBLA/PSN/Steam/Whatever

7. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    The only thing I see keeping SEGA in business is the Mario & Sonic Olympic titles.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's sad -but not a surprise at all.
    Other than Bayonetta I can't think of a single 'must have' Sega title in a decade.
    In regards to Golden Axe -Sega abandoned that themselves.
    They may as well have called Golden Axe: Beastrider 'Not Golden Axe'.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't really agree with this comment:
    That's not really EA's 'playbook' anymore and they're much better because of it.

Maybe this thread could be merged with the previous thread on the subject?

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I always loved Sega and I feal a bit guilty that I bought a PlayStation instead of a Saturn :( 
    But we all did. And PlayStation just was better.

What Sega was, is nowadays Sony. There seems no place for Sega anymore and I find it awkward to have Sonic games on Nintendo consoles.

Sega will always have a special place in my heart and I wish all the best, that they can return to former glory.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree.

Sega will always have that place for me, and I will always keep my Sega Genesis plugged to my TV as long as I am able. I still play the Genesis Collection on my PS3, and I own it on the Vita too. But my interest in modern Sega has always been the PSO series and now Aliens, so I think I have more memories with them than current interest.

I bought their consoles all the way through to Dreamcast, and I loved my Saturn, but I wasn't getting as much return love from them, not nearly as much as I did with the Genesis, so I "Fell outta love with them."

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is quite a shock to me actually, I knew Sega had gone downhill a while ago, but I thought they had consolidated their position with licences/own IP.

Apart from Virtua Fighter being my favourite fighter ever (VF5:R Where are you?!) in my little 3DS case I've got Shinobi, Sonic Generations, Aliens Infestation, Sonic Classic Collection and Thor... but I can't remember if I have any Sega games for my main console... the ones I do remember having were given to me by a friend who works for Sega.

And I bought a Sega Saturn over the Playstation, Saturn had Virtua Fighter 2 and then Tomb Raider exclusively for months before it appeared on Playstation. Then Tomb Raider 2 was announced as a PS exclusive... and I bought a Playstation.

And Dreamcast was possibly my favourite consoles of that generation, definitely ahead of PS2 and GC... and on a par with Xbox... at least until they killed the DC.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

It saddens me to see SEGA slip further down hill. SEGA has given me hundreds of hours of gaming enjoyment over the last 20+ years.

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Focusing on Sonic, yet not delivering on him is a big chunk of the problem, IMO

14. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Honestly, I'd much rather prefer Sega really take a good amount of time crafting a new Sonic game and refine it as much as possible so... I dunno, it exceeds expectations and kicks ass and is a lengthy experience that is worth a purchase?

I love Sonic, especially Sonic Colors. But I'm getting a little worn out on overlooking how scenic and rails-like the recent games have become.

15. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

I think it's sad. Sega is always been one of my favorite companies and they put out some good games in the past couple years.

16. optimegatron

News Credits:
    Everything you all said pretty much completes each other. Which is good, it means SEGA's downfall brings you, us, the same reaction. I also think SEGA deserves more, and after making this thread, I went looking for my old SEGA consoles. I found my old Master System and my Saturn. Couldn't find my old DC and my Genesis broke down years ago.
    Made me realize how SEGA, like it or not, is a valuable asset in video gaming as a whole. Losing it means losing some of the most well-known and appreciated titles of all times.

17. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    They are going about this all wrong, and it's going to be to their downfall. Focusing on Sonic is the wrong way to go. Give the Hedgehog a break for a little bit, and do some other games. IMO, if Sonic Colors was the first Sonic game in years, instead of people passing it up because they just played Unleashed six months to a year earlier, it would have been a massive hit.

Also, making PSO 2 a PC only title (the Vita is just a rumor right now), is another mistake. I know Sony and Microsoft are not the easiest to work with, but instead of keeping the MMO on a console where it only has to take on DC Universe Online and a few others, it has to take on juggernauts like WoW and SWTOR.

What they should be working on is new versions of Shining Force, Streets of Rage, and Virtual-On along with working with Capcom to do Power Stone 3 and finally get around to Shenmue 3.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sega is still sitting on games that could be released in collections- there's still Genesis games they ignore, like Chakan, Eternal Champions and ToeJam & Earl, and lots of games from the Saturn and Dreamcast. Beyond that though, I don't know why they basically stopped making games in key franchises with the Saturn- no Sonic, Streets of Rage, no REAL Golden Axe, no ToeJam & Earl, no Eternal Champions, no new Comix Zone. Imagine how unpopular the N64 would have been without Mario or Zelda.

Just saying, Sega has a lot of fans that stick by them way more then Sega ever stuck by you. Don't me wrong, I loved them to, but it's enough of an abusive relationship to not be all surprised they aren't doing well.

19. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Release Jet Set Radio Future on PSN/XBLA and I will purchase every piece of crap you release forward.

20. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    What do I think of it?

It means people can stop asking for a dreamcast 2.

In all seriousness though, it is sad to see a legendary company go downhill. (I loved playing crazy taxi, and sonic adventure 2)