What do you really think of the Live Action Movie(s)?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Starscreamer95, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    When I heard about TF1, I was so excited and all. But when I first saw the robots I said to myself: "What...? No, no, no they... what, it's, no..." But about a week later I said to myslef: "You know what, change is good", I wasnt going to see the movie if I didnt tell myself that. So then I saw some more design's and loved them (Noteably Megs' redone head).
    Then I saw it when it came out and loved it, even the changes, especialy the changes.
    And the thing is, I went with about 10 friends for my Birthday, so I sit down flanked by all my mates thinking to myslef: "They're gonna hate this, why did do this?" So when they met up at Hoover Dam in the movie, one of my friends sitting next to me (who is very hard to please, and never liked TF) said to me: "You know, I came here thinking 'I wont like this movie, but I'm here for my friend so... yeah', but I really like it".
    So what I'm trying to say is that, Bay, the Writers, and the Producers did a wonderful job into introducing Transformers to someone who never watched it or liked it.

Will I go see ROTF? Yes.

So how do you feel about them?

2. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

I honestly went to the first one with very low expectations and in a rather nasty mood thanks to work.

To say i was floored is saying the least. I went in not expecting much and walked out on a high. My friend/flatmate, who tagged along just for the sake of doing something, was just as hyped as me and admitted that it was so much better than he expected as well.

He is now hyped as all hell for the new movie and is constantly whining that he's not gonna get to see my reaction this time around cause hes now living on the otherside of the world.

3. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it. The toys are their own can of worms for some people, but I loved the aesthetic.

As for the film itself, I did enjoy it a lot. Would I have done things differently in a few scenes? Of course. A little less hackers. A little more explanation of key concepts to non transformer fans (for instance, what the significance of a Spark is). Etc.

Killing nearly all the Decepticons at the end? Didn't object to it. Why? What if the movie failed at the box office. Now we've got a cliffhanger like the Mario Bros movie had, and I'd have hated to have a million dangling threads that never get resolved than what we got. I found the film funny, action packed, and I'm certainly going to be in theatres this June.

4. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I loved the first one.

Big, loud action packed epic with some light hearted moments.
    Thats exactly what a Transformers movie should be.
    It felt like G1 on steroids to me.

Wasn't a perfect movie by any shot, and there were a few things I wasn't keen on (Hackers spring to mind) but overall it was a great experience and I came out of the theatre grinning like a maniac.

The Autobot arrival sequence in particular was magical, the fight scenes were great and the robots were amazing to watch in action.

I love the design aesthetic, think they look fantastic.

So yeah, really enjoyed the first one and looking forward to ROTF immensely.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think they're flawed creations.

6. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    nothing's perfect.;) 

I enjoy the films because every now and then you need to have a shlocky action fix. This franchise actually has some depth to it though, so you get a bit of both worlds.
    I need my transformers crack too. God help me i'll watch anything transformers and at least some part of me will enjoy it.

7. suppi

suppi Yeh, what he said

i'm definately going to see it when it's showing at my local cinema. the first movie used too much jokes and gags...

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I like 'em, perfect way to bring a new generation and wider public to transformers, really using the classic style wouldn't work! After the movie I showed pics of the G1 versions to some of my friends and all the reactions were "What the hell? That's dumb." or "Err, I like the movie one better".

They also brought me back to TF so yeah.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

When I first heard that they were planning on making a live-action Transformers movie, I was like, "AWESOME! I so want to see it!" Then I saw the leaked designs, and you know what, they didn't deter my eagerness to see the film. Finally, the movie came out in theaters and I took my older brother with me to see it. We thought it was awesome. I knew all along the movie was going to be.

I still enjoy watching the first movie. I like to listen to the soundtracks from the movie. And I'm really eager about seeing ROTF, which I think is going to be easily more awesome than the first.

So, yeah... I love the live action movies.

10. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

I think the movies have brought a needed breath of fresh air into the series. I've got minor complaints about the first movie, but overall I was extremely pleased with how it turned out. Definitely planning on hitting a midnight IMAX showing of ROTF when it comes out. Coincidentally, the closest IMAX theater is about 3 miles away and just happens to be in the Udvar-Hazy Center where they filmed the SR71 last summer.

11. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    I loved the first movie. In fact, it was my favorite movie of 2007. It completely compensated for the Summer disappointments that were Spider-Man 3 and Pirates 3.

I could go on and on about everything that they did right in this movie. But, the thing that I liked the most about it was that it reinvigorated my love for the Transformers franchise. Before this movie came out, I hadn't been a devout Transformers fan since Beast Wars ended.

In fact, I think this movie is the best thing that's happened to the Transformers franchise in about the last 10 years.

12. Atlas

Atlas Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    I loved the first film, I was surprised on how awesome the robot designs look. I will probably see the second film more than once the opening night. :thumb 

13. Finchfan000

Finchfan000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The humor didn't always work for me, but the amount of time and detail they put into the CGI was phenomenal. I really do not think the movie would have worked if it wasn't for the awesome job by the guys at ILM.
    The change in appearance by the Bots really didn't affect me much, but it did take me a while to get use to Prime having a mouth. I still prefer the blast shield, but whatever.
    Overall, there were parts that dragged for me (ie sector 7) but the last hour of the movie totally blew me away. Overall I really liked it and now have high expectations for ROTF.

14. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    But, he did have a blast shield. It just wasn't up when he wasn't in battle, which made a lot more sense to me.

15. Hydrobot

Hydrobot Super Ginrai!

I remember being 8 years old in dominican republic when I was 1st introduced to transformers masterfoce and victory (spanish dubs, of course). I was HOOKED, it felt magical. I was 17 when the 1st movie came out, it brought that magic back.... all I ever remembered about transformers was the japanese theme song to TF victory that I hum till this day. The movies have managed to bring back the magic, and give younger kids a feel for transformers.

Many of the small children I spend time with tend to call EVERY yellow car "bumblebee". Thanks to the movies, there's a big boost in tranformer's popularity. So I am very happy.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Guess I'll be the downer because my word for it would be disappointed.

The new designs just don't capture that Transformers magic for me. Sure it's robots that turn into cars or jets, but they just lack that something that says hey it's Transformers.

But Peter Cullen told fans to give the film a chance and considering the hours and hours of entertainment I've gotten from his voice acting I figured I'd go see the movie because Prime asked us to even though I'm a Decepticon fan myself.

Just more disappoint with the film itself. Really didn't like the different plots getting shoe horned into an ending. The film had too many of the elements that I don't find appealing about Micheal Bay movies. Too many of the jokes just feel flat for me. Never felt the tension of the bad guys might win so the movie was just a forgone conclusion of a Hollywood ending. And well to be honest I just felt shame for ever being a Decepticon fan after the poor showing they had in the movie. Just no way to have any pride in the faction after they were just a pack of silent jobbers who would get beat down left and right.

Disappoint was even worse when I could go to other movies and get say an Iron Man where I could go cool that's Iron Man. Or even with the changes to the Joker I was still on the edge of the seat with geek joy over a Joker who had lots of changes but still felt 100% Joker that I know.

Then the Universe toys that enjoy so much get put on hold for the movie line so that just caused me more resentment toward the movie because I have to give up what I like for the movie line that hasn't been my cup of tea.

I want to be hopeful that somehow the second movie could some how turn things around to give me something I'd want to watch more than once or that could open up a desire to expand my exposure to the movie universe. But I don't know, that's a lot to ask from any film because how can they make me happy without stepping on the toes of those of you who did enjoy the movie?

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

The first movie was, by no means, perfect. I was excited for it and I loved the design choices they made, but it does have its problems (looking at you shaky-cam...)

I took it all with a grain of salt though. I got to see gigantic transforming robots beat and blow up the crap out of everything (which made Bay the perfect director ^_^). I wanted a bit more of a focus on the Transformers, but when I found out that they spent a ridiculous amount of their budget just to animate Optimus Prime's transformation, I kinda understood why it focused more on the humans.

After all, they had no idea a movie based on a toy would do as well as it did.

That's why I'm eager for ROTF. They know it's going to do well initially (even if the movie turns out to be crap) and it sounds like they've put a lot more money towards it. I'm excited to see what they can do and from what I've been hearing, ROTF is going to be a better movie.

18. AMG

AMG Old School

What sticks out to me was when I first saw Megatron's design back in 2006. He still had his old head, and I thought he looked ridiculous. Like an alien wearing beetle armor. I just dismissed the movie at that point and put it out of my mind.

Fast forward to today. Now I really enjoy the movie universe and Megatron is my favorite character in it. The only thing that really bothered me about the first movie was the heavy amount of screen time humans had over the bots. Megatron being underused was another sore spot.

As of now I'm looking forward to the rest of the trilogy and will enjoy the ride to it's completion.

19. crucifixion

crucifixion Member

You know, I had very similar feelings as yourself. When I heard about it I was thinking how great it would be. Then when it got closer and I started reading spoilers and stuff I was like "what the hell is this, this is nothing like the transformers I know" I even got mad and refused to watch the movie (at least that was my plan) just because a)prime was a long nose and not a short nose, b)bumble bee wasn't a bumble bee bug, c)megatron wasn't a gun and other stuff. But then a week before the movie I realized, hey this movie is these writers interpertation and their view. Superman and Batman were based on comics and then they had movies, then the new writers came and rebooted the franchise. Same thing with other stuff, they had old stuff, but the new guys are not interested in continuing with continutiy, but create their own universe. So then I realized, hey, if I loved transformers so much then I would go to school to write and try to make it big so that one day I would pen transformers. But you know what, thats not my life, its someone elses and I'm just here to enjoy the ride. If this is what they imagined transformers to be like then fine. All I care about is that the essence of transformers remained the same. That being a)autobots good b)decepitcons bad c)prime good leader d)megatron bad leader. that is the essenace of transformers. Anything more and I would be pleased. And I would be super happy if starscream was like the one I remembered.

The thing is, I grew up on G1. I heard of Beast Wars and Armada and stuff but honestly I thought those were all Japanese transformers cartoons. Plus when those came out I wasn't a kid anymore and I was trying to have sex with girls in high school, so transformers (non G1) wasn't on my mind.

The issue here is, Orci and co are not so much G1 fans but Beast Wars and Armada fans. If you look at some of the stuff that is in the movies, they all pay tribute to those lines than G1. Not too much of G1 other than like names and stuff and even with the supporting cast alot of names those names are from the non G1 lines (Blackout, Sideways, etc).

So now here I am and I'm just here for the ride to enjoy what these guys did because I chose not to be a writer and these guys are and hey if they like Beast/Armada better than G1, then so be it.

As long as they got the essence of transformers right, I can't complain.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The first was epic win, though it had a few flaws.

The second looks even more epic.