What do you hope to see from customisation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by scorpio-prime, Oct 16, 2011.

1. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Of all the information revealed about FOC over this past week, customisation is perhaps whats got me most excited of all. Whilst I have fountains of ideas (as usual) about how I'd most enjoy seeing it implemented, I'm curious as to what sort of features everyone else would want included?

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a customization whore. What I want can never be fulfilled.

But what I reasonably want from a dream Transformers game is something like Halo Reach. A story where the player is a custom character involved in fighting the war. To see scenes where MY character and Optimus are fighting side by side.

But that wasn't your question. You want what I want for FoC. We know the custom characters are limited to multiplayer. I want to be able to choose my vehicle mode and customize it. Choose where the wheels are placed, what they look like. Add details like spoilers, spikes, tailpipes, and fins to name a few.

I would also like to have a say in the animation of how it transforms. So that I can say have the back half fold down to become the legs; have the arms burst forth from the sides.

And in robot mode I want a plethora of options as well. I want to choose not just my head but features like eyes/visors, mouths or mouth plates, horns and other decorations. I want to choose my shoulders from a variety of styles. I want to choose where and what vehicle mode kibble is visible, like having door wings or thruster feet. In short I want as much creative control of my character as is physically possible. And I want enough options that I never encounter someone who looks like me.

Oh and obviously a bunch of color options as well.

3. Minnemagnus

Minnemagnus Armada Starscream!

I'm extremely excited about the customization, but I don't think it will be that extreme. You have to pull off a robot and a vehicle, which is what is so different about the customization in this game. There are going to certain limits, like you can't make a guy who turns into a jet, but has wheels all over his body and no wings to be seen. I'm interested to see how they handle it and am still very hopeful.

4. scorpio-prime

But I'm sure that HMS are well aware just how popular the ability to take custom characters into Escalation would be, I reckon such a feature would increase online appeal MASSIVELY.

The thing with creating any transformer is that you have to consider both modes simultaneously, anything you add to one will show on the other to some degree. Though having said that, theres no reason why such a factor would have to be strictly limiting to your customisation options - I mean, suppose that you're making a Decepticon car-former, and the basic template uses a standardised transformation where the rear of the vehicle becomes the legs, perhaps you could choose from parts like:

ARMOURED: Heavy, blocky legs which give the rear of the car a squarer, bulkier look. Statistically they increase your energy slightly but reduce your speed in both modes.

SPIKEY: Resembles something from Mad Max. Increases your attack power again at a speed reduction.

SWIFT: Sleek looking legs which add a sporty look to the vehicle mode - increases speed for a reduction in toughness.

Then once you've picked the base body part, you can then add extras (which don't affect your stats) like exhausts, spoilers, lights etc to further individualise your character.

Thats another way you could do it I suppose - like say, you START with the vehicle mode, and design it as you wish choosing shapes, panelling, add ons etc, then choose from one of 3-4 pre set transformations. One of these could have the front of the car become the arms/upper body, another could have the rear play that role, another still could treat the vehicle mode as little more than a shell which folds up onto the transformers back, giving you lots of kibble but more organic looking limbs (which were hidden inside).

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that, it could all be implemented in the same way as I suggested with the legs - pick a base part which determines your statistics, then apply add ons as you see fit for extra visual appeal. With regards to the heads, again those could be treated in a fairly simple fashion - pick a 'helmet' to determine the main shape of the head, choose your eyes, then finally a mouth, you could create something really funny looking like Cyclonus' 'rabbit' head with goggle eyes and Optimus' mouth plate :) 

Yes, that would be a biggie. Don't limit faction colours this time (you have lights and the HUD to distinguish between friends and enemies), if players want to make a bright pink and yellow Decepticon then let them. If you ever played any of the Armoured Core games, in that you had the option to not only colour your bodyparts individually, but each part was broken down into four smaller sections which again, could be coloured individually. Thats exactly how I'd want to approach colour applications in this game.

Also, it'd be nice if you had the option to toggle your display between showing the other players usernames or their character names. It can take you out of the moment a bit when you're watching 'MrHaRdNuTz' vs 'hoochieman1991' when you'd much rather see 'Stormtalon' vs 'Skullhammer'.

5. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I'm expecting that we see transformations and builds decided by Class, for the sake of rigging and programming. I also expect several limbs, torsos, and heads per class for the sake of customization.

What would I like? At least two base skeletons per class. I'd also like a Beast class with that forced transformation gimmick we see on Grimlock, along with a smaller Scout class ala Cliffjumper/Bumble, a Mid-size class like Jazz/Sideswipe, a Large, slower class like Ironhide/Warpath, and a Flyer class.

I'd also prefer that not every ability be limited to specific classes. In WFC, I would've much preferred the Ratchet chassis as a Scientist rather than limit the Scientist abilities to the flyers.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. scorpio-prime

One idea I had, was that after you've built your transformer, which in turn decides their base stats (armour, strength, speed etc), you then move onto the 'shop', where you can spend 'tech points' to buy your abilities, upgrades, killstreaks and weapons.

Heres where it gets interesting. All four classes have access to the same items and abilities, however certain abilities are cheaper for some classes than others - Leaders can buy War Cry for 25pts, but it costs 40pts for a Scientist etc. This gives you a massive choice of options when creating characters - do you go for a versatile all-rounder, or plow your points into creating a powerful but highly tactical warrior?

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    RGB sliders. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE High Moon, put in RGB sliders. They're an absolute MUST nowadays!

8. Agentknife

Agentknife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RGB sliders?

I'm sorry but what is an RGB slider?

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  10. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Yup, pretty much this. Red-Green-Blue Slider. It allows for customized colors rather than the horridly limited color palette provided for you in War for Cybertron. RGB Sliders are practically standard now when it comes to games with customization.

11. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    if it's like WFC

where it'll custom colored charecter models, I want a full freaking color pallet to choose from and more than two freeking patches on the charecter model to color!!!

12. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Pretty much do it like Armored Core games have done it...provide you a basic color palette to use but ALSO include an RGB slider for your own custom colors or tweaking a color palette.

13. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would liketo see 5-6 classes.

Scout: The smallest playable characters like Cliffjumper/Bumblebee. This class would be the sneakest, weakest, and have the fastest foot speed.

Operations Specialest: The medium sized class with characters like Sideswipe, Hot Rod, & Wheeljack. This class would have more power than the scout and would have the fastest vehicle mode on wheels.

Heavy Specialest: The larger TF's that are typically Trucks, vans, & SUVs. Think Kup, Ironhide/Rachet, & Soundwave. This class would be more powerful than the previos 2 classes but would have slower foot and vehicle speeds.

Heavy Rig: These are the big boys of the wheeled vehicle TF's. Characters like Optimus Prime, Motormaster, & Onslaught would be in this class. They would have the same vehicle speed as the Heavy Specialest, but slower foot speeds and more power.

Tank: The slowest most powerful class.

Flight: This class should have the same power and foot speed as the Operations Specialest. The torso/chassis you chose will determine if your character is a chopper or a jet. Choppers should have more maneuverablity than jets while jets would be faster. Choppers would be able to hover and spin very quickly.
    I'll post more about later

14. scorpio-prime

Those are very good ideas Agentknife and would really help define and distinguish alot of characters. The sad thing is early screenshots show Jazz as being tiny like the first game, when he should fall into your operations category. Personally I reckon HMS really messed up by making all car based characters so small, I can't imagine the likes of Wheeljack and Rodimus being towered over by half the Autobots - and even Arcee!

Still, if she can look somewhat proportionate to the other characters in her robot mode, hopefully so can they.

15. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The tank class should also get a couple of chassis/torso speciffic traits/abilities. Warpath style tanks would be abile to fire some sort of weapons blast from their chest gun. While Brawl style tanks with 2 turrets would either be abile to fire 2 shots at once with a slower reload time or fire weaker shots but the turrets would fire individually in rapid succesion. That is while the Brawl style bot is in tank mode.

I would also like to see most of the abilities if not all of them be available across the board. Maybe some abilities like whirlwind and cloak only be aviailable to a few classes. Cloak for scout & op spec and whirlwind for heavy spec, heavy rig and tank classes.

I also want more than one ability and weapon for vehicle modes. with some of both being available for multiple classes while other are class specific.

I'm hoping for a chassis/torso specific ability to deploy upgradable minicons/bots with a lazarbeak that would either target a specific enemy or area, Ravage that would do the same but be more of a bleed out overeffect, and of course a Rumble that would ground pound for an area of damage effect.

16. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks both of you.

17. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

I hope for full-body customisation..I liked Reach but some of the body parts you could customise had very limited options compared to other parts. I agree about the colour slider too. Also, I like the ideas to be able to add/remove faceplates, alter head gear etc. I think you should be able to place your faction symbol in a few different areas too.

18. scorpio-prime

Going into more detail on a previous post:

Upon beginning your customisation, you start by selecting your chassis - there are no 'classes' as such any more, as any chassis can be customised to fulfill any role (for a price), and it doesn't make sense to me to assume that any transformer who can fly is automatically a boffin. To begin with, your chassis has its base stats predermined:

Cars: Poor armour, high robot mobility, high vehicle mobility

Jets/Helicopters: Average armour, low robot mobility, excellent vehicle mobility

Trucks: High armour, average robot mobility, average vehicle mobility

Tanks: Excellent armour, poor robot mobility, poor vehicle mobility

Once you've chosen your chassis, the parts you choose then alter those base stats. Parts are divided into Head, Torso, Arms, Legs and Special categories, and you can also decide what sort of melee weapon your character will wield, so you can have a Jet wielding a sword or a Soldier an axe if you so choose.

Head: Adds a personal touch to your creation. You can choose from a basic 'helmet' to determine your head shape, then choose the upper and lower face seperately to make it look unique. All changes to the head region are purely cosmetic and don't affect your stats in any way.

Torso/Arms/Legs: Affect stats like your armour, melee strength, mobility etc. Some also include special features like additional vehicle firepower, extra ammo storage, increased regeneration etc.

Special: This covers things like Tank turrets and Jet/Helicopter wings/rotors.

These are some of the parts you can use:

STANDARD: The basic looking parts you start off with, with no major strengths or weaknesses.

ARMOURED: Chunky, heavy design, increases the damage you can sustain but reduces your mobility.

BATTLE: Spikey and aggressive looking designs, increases melee strength and reduces mobility.

SWIFT: Fast and elegant, increases mobility and reduces armour.

Say you've chosen a Jet chassis, you might decide you want BATTLE arms to increase your strength (or you just like spikey shoulder pads), an ARMOURED torso to bump up your toughness a little, then SWIFT legs to make up for the speed loss. Jets can also choose what sort of wings they want from the Special category, which offers you things like:

INTERCEPTOR: Long, swept back wings which reduce your free movement in vehicle mode but increase the speed of your afterburner.

DELTA: Triangular wings which reduce your overall speed but allow for tighter turning.

BLADE: Replaces the wings with rotorblades and a tail, turning your Jet into a helicopter. Overall speed is greatly compromised for a great increase in maneuverability.

(I don't claim to know anything about aerodynamics btw, these are just ideas)

Once you've chosen all the parts you want, you can then colour each of them individually using an RGB slider (YAY! :D ) complete with saturation, BW and brightness options, and each or your parts is broken up into four sections which can be coloured individually, so if you want your transformer white legs, black torso, purple head, red and blue arms and your wings a mish mash of yellow, red, blue and green for some reason (making your enemies vomits as you approach?), you can colour them that way.

I also have ideas for 'tech points' which allow you to further customise your character with extra abilities, killstreaks, buffs and weapons, but thats enough for now.

19. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

For the sake of simplicity, the class system remains, but only in terms of body types. Roadsters, Rigs, Jets, and Tanks.

The base skeletons would be derived from the enemy models, characters in the campaign, and some would be made specifically for multiplayer. Each base skeleton could have individual parts modeled for it, some with their own individual transformation schemes, lines, etc. that work with each and every other piece. And also, you can use Decepticon chassis' as Autobots and vice versa. The "Tron lines" and matching eye colors would be the factor denoting faction, and your bot itself can be any color you want. Autobots would have the choice between red, pink, and orange, and Decepticons would have the choice between purple, green, and yellow.

Each piece on the body would also have multiple color sections, stripe designs that would meld with the other pieces' stripes, and the option to pinstripe around stripes to create a more "racing" style design.

Dinobot models would have the option for scale designs and printing.

Insecticon models would have the option for coloring the wing venation, wings, legs, etc.

20. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like your ideas Scorpio-Prime, but I would like to see at least some of the head mods to alter your stats. Like a vizor would give you more accuracy and antinnas would give you better sensors like a rador ala Halo Reach or maybe you can detech those fake weapon traps that Scouts drop. something like that.