What do you guys use to get stickers' edges from peeling?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Massasoit, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Massasoit

Massasoit Combicon

This is intended to be a general question, but stems from my frustration with the wing stickers on my MP-07 Skywarp. It took me probably a good half hour to properly align both stickers on his wings the first time, and now they are peeling around the edges.

I am thinking about using a glue stick to reapply some adhesive to the stickers, but I'm not sure this is the best approach. Since the wing flaps move right where the stickers meet, they will eventually start peeling again. Is there anything that you can paint over the sticker to get them to stay down?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    You could always clear coat them (acrylic clear coat over the sticker). Or you could use a small drop of super glue under the edge of it, but make sure you quickly wipe up the excess before it hardens or makes a mess.

Be careful and good luck.

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Clear coat is the solution for all stickers, if not you could use some clear nail polish.

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I found that the stickers on my MP Skywarp were really dry...they didn't peel or anything, and they were easy to pull off and reapply if they weren't straight. But I'd just wet em a tiny bit and stick them down if they were peeling.

5. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could you use the same rewetting tech for a G1 Prime trailer sticker that's been loose in the edge for 15 years or so?

6. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

This doesn't help much as far as clear-coating, but if you want a functional, largely reversible solution to lifting stickers, I recommend getting some craft glue, something like Tacky Glue. Carefully wipe just a bit of it under the peeling edge so there's a thin film of adhesive on the underside of the sticker, and smooth it down.

Once it dries, you can usually sort of rub off the excess on top of/around the sticker without damage, and you can always remove it later if need be (reprolabels, etc)

...I STRONGLY recommend NOT using super glue or any CA glue for that matter. Elmer's white glue might work also, but it's much less "sticky" than craft glues and sometimes won't hold to plastic well enough to make a difference.

7. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shadow, that won't damage the plastic on the trailer will it?

8. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Using a craft glue like Tacky Glue or worst case, Elmers White Glue, won't hurt the trailer in the SLIGHTEST. The stuff you need to worry about are CA glues (Crazy or Super glue) and Model Cement (Which will literally melt the plastic.)

Really, you just want something with enough adhesive properties to keep the label stuck to the plastic. Non-toxic craft glues will usually do the trick if you use them judiciously. You don't want anything that contains solvents, which can eat the labels or damage the plastic...