What do you guys use for HD image copying?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sixshot, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I want to replace my current hard drive on my PC with a new one that I just got, upgraded to a 1 TB drive, yay. I know that I need to use some software to do a straight copy over to the new drive to retain my current setup, what do you guys use?

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to use norton ghost, though I haven't really done much hd image copying lately. I've found it easier to just install a new copy of windows and start over using backup dvds of all my old files. But when I did copy my hd images ghost was by far the best

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

oh, you mean HDD image copying...

...i've used Partition Magic in the past....but i hardly every do....i usually just do a clean wipe...(i have multiple partitions so its easy to re-install the programs)

...but if you have space, i would just make the 1TB as a slave drive...that way, your current will be the "main" drive while the bigger one will be everything else....that's xx mb/gb extra space to use

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I use the backup utility in XP Pro/MCE 2005 to make my backups. I make sure it's held on my external drive, so all I need to do is format the C drive, hit the restore setup and in 60 minutes I'm back to where I was minus a few files here and there.

I tried the trial of Acronis True Image...it was over my head, really. I'd love to know how the image programs do work though, my girlfriend has XP Home and it sucks because I have to reinstall everything and it takes forever.