What do you guys think...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kraven, Aug 25, 2011.

1. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Hey people just wanted your opinion on something. A few years back I was in a band with this guy average guy, kind of weird, nothing really going on for him. Shortly after we broke up he hit me up on myspace and I saw that this guy was sooo full of shit. On his page he claimed to be a proffesional musican who has done TONS of shit, from touring with random bands to working for sony as a drum tracker. No big deal I guess, the guy just has issues but isnt hurting anyone.

Fast forward about 5 years he hits me up on facebook and suggests I "like" his band. So I check out his "band". Once again there is a wall of text about all the stuff his band has done, some being, co-headlining tours, recorded an album and 2 e.p.'s and a hord of other b.s. with nothing to back it up, no pics, real music, nothing. And if I tried looking up his "band" that has done all this great stuff on google or whatever, nothing comes up, just his own FB page. And so I figued with this and from my past experience with this guy that this was all made up. So I check out some "songs" hes got up for his "band". It was a bunch of generic computer generated wanna be indrustrial crap. So I figure, yeah, this guys got a screw loose, but again, hes not hurting anybody, so no big deal.

So over time his "band" is always posting stuff on FB like, just recorded a new song!" and "working on new merch!". So I always would just laugh and check out his page to hear these great new songs and see their "New merch!". And of course, nothing, just every once in a while he'd put up some new craptastic "song" which would be nothing more than a new computer generated stupid looped sample.

Now here is the point of my story, one day recently Im checking out his bands page and see there are 2 new songs up. And these are actually real songs! Full band with a singer and everything. And as im listening, keeping in mind everything I just wrote above, im thinking, "this is not this guys band, no way." So I google all the lyrics to one of the songs chours's and find out that they are infact completly stealing another bands music!!! The band that they are copying is called Sinisstar, a short lived underground band from the early 2000's. A band that nobody knows except for a small fanbase. The perfect band to rip off and nobody will know.

So my problem is this, what should I do!? I always stay out of peoples buisness, but as a musican who has been in various bands and recorded a lot of my own music, I feel like I should contact Sinisstar and let them know that someone is stealing their shit. I definitly would want to know if someone was stealing my music. So what would you guys do?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    report them to facebook, and if possible, contact the band they're stealing from.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well first off, I'd try & get the former friend or whatever to take the stolen shit down. If they ignore you, then I'd have absolutely no regrets letting the real artists know that their shit's been used. I'd just wanna talk with the guy about it first because well, you had a history with him.

Like you said, I'd definitely like to know if my work was being stolen, so I'd do this regardless.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What would I do? Why, I'd discreetly contact this 'friend', and say that I'm going to blow the whistle on him if he doesn't agree to do anything I want.