What do you guys think??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oddobot, Sep 21, 2007.

1. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    My best bud and I are giving serious thought to opening a comic shop in our little middle-of-nowhere town. Comics around here are slim pickings and the nearest good comic place is a 30 minute drive away. We figure that given our combined knowledge of comics and toys, and our knowledge of retail, we'd have a good shot at making something succeed. Anyone else own their own shop or business?
    Have any tips on how to get started?Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thought i'd come to you guys first, since 'cause if it's sarcasm, or helpful advice, this is ALWAYS the first place I come to!

ODD

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i'd love to do that! good luck!

3. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

good luck! thats always been my dream. just be careful of who you go into business with. money changes everything.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

First thing I would do is research the area that you want to have a store in. Check the market and make sure there is a demand in that area for toys and comics. After that, check real estate for a place to put the store. I would suggest some good places for this would be near schools and along major public transportation routes.

Good luck!!

5. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Make sure there's market for it in your area first. Also it'll probably be a good idea to set up a web store too as that might help if your market isn't really strong enough.

7. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Excellent point.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a good tip from the owners of my local comic shop who learned it the hard way: Make sure you get fire insurance!

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    try n pm hiro prime.

10. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    As others have already said, make sure that you do the market research to make sure there is a demand for it. Even with your combined knowledge, it will mean very little if there is no one to buy the product. Also, an online presence is not a bad idea at all.

11. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

If it's a small middle-of-nowhere town, then it's imperative you do market research and make sure the local economy can support the store. I would imagine it's going to take quite a bit of start up capital to get it going, and it could take some time to get a return off of it, the longer depending on the size of the town.

Your best bet is to plan, research, plan some more, and go over every figure and aspect of it until you're certain you can be successful.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well, you won't have to deal with too many vendors considering Diamond pretty much has a monopoly.

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

All the knowledge in the world won't help you if there's not enough demand in the area for a comic shop. Honestly, I'm a little alarmed that it will be in a "middle-of-nowhere" town. You need to make absolutely sure you'll have enough customers to cover your expenses.

Realistically consider your costs. You need to make enough at the minimum to cover your rent, utilities, insurance, weekly refreshing of your products, and salaries for you and your friend, plus hopefully have some net income after all that. Remember that you're not going to sell out of everything immediately (or maybe even ever). For example...say you pay $2 wholesale for a comic and sell it at cover price of $3. You order 10 copies for a total of $20 to you. You sell 5 of them for a total of $15 the week it comes out. The other 5 copies end up sitting in your backstock, selling slowly if ever. Your business has lost $5 on that issue, not counting other incremental expenses that it should be covering (a few cents toward your rent, a few cents towards salaries, etc). Multiple that by the dozens of comics you'll order every week and you'll see how it can add up. While it is important that you order close to the right number of each issue that your demand will dictate, you cannot assume in your cost calculations that you will sell every single comic you order in.

Now, time to research. Again, realistically, how many comic buyers are there in your immediate area? Of those, how many are willing to give a new store a chance versus just driving to the good store a half hour away, where they may have some loyalty? Loyalty is a tough nut to crack in the world of retail, ESPECIALLY comic shops, where people tend to be fiercely loyal to "their" shop. Of those who will give you a chance, how many are likely to actually become regulars in your store, and how much do they buy?

Now, look at your honest, non-idealistic data. Can you realistically cover your costs plus make some money with the number of customers you are likely to have?

I always get a little worried about people who are passionate about something and want to start a business in it. There's nothing wrong with that, but you need to be just as passionate about the behind the scenes of the business as the product itself. You need to engulf yourself in costs and accounting and taxation and law and real estate and inventory, or your business will not be successful regardless of how much you know about the history of the Marvel Universe. I don't mean to say this to crush people's dreams, because the best stores are always the ones where the proprietor knows his product intimately. But I do think too many people jump in without having that knowledge IN ADDITION TO the knowledge of the ins and outs of running a successful business. This is really crucial. It sounds like a great idea, but it could leave you and your friend in financial ruin if you don't do it right. If you think you can and have realistically researched it, then more power to you. Like drippy said, do retain the services of a local lawyer and CPA to help you out. Don't skimp, it will hurt you worse in the long run if you don't.

Good luck.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If you sell TFs, please don't charge insane prices for beat up junk like most other comic places.

15. Jux

KidDynamite and Moonster just combined for the 1-2 punch.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Sounds like a great idea to me. I wish there was a comic shop here in town. I still haven't been able to find any store anywhere near me that sells comics. The only place that I can find any comics at all is the library in town, but, those are all really old, and actually don't have any TF comics at all.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I read that and for a sec I was all like "WTF is a Moonster" and then I was all like "oh".

18. Jux

All the cool people get nicknames.

Of ... their online nicknames.

Ahem.

19. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Then why does everyone call me asshole?

*scratches head*

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits: