What do you find annoying when finding Transformers at dollar stores?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by urrutiap, Feb 7, 2012.

1. urrutiap

urrutiap Well-Known Member

I find it insane where dollar stores have to sell transformers figures higher than what they are cheaper at Walmart.

For the past 2 years I've been finding Transformers Revenge of the Fallen/Dark of the Moon figures at the Family Dollar store at high prices like up to 14 bucks where you can find them a little cheaper at Walmart for just 9 bucks.

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    What do you expect? Deluxes, Voyagers, and Leaders for a dollar?

The only TF thing I've seen at these dollar stores are RPMs. Missed on Sideways, though...

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Family Dollar is just like that. They have minicons there for $4.80 last I saw, and the Cybertron scout repaints were around eight or nine dollars. Shame, because I'm almost tempted by the dark decoed Backstop. Last TFs I actually walked out of there with were the Micromaster Aerialbots and I think they were four bucks apiece.

I think it's a pretty shady way to take advantage of a low-income demographic that might be getting around on a bus and can't shop around very easily. When you're in there, it feels like a cut-rate K-Mart.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I don't think expecting them for the same as normal retail or less is insane.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Retailers order at wholesale prices. The more you order, the cheaper they are per unit (figure in this case), and the less you can sell them while still making a profit.

Obviously smaller stores/chains order in smaller quantities than Walmart.

6. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

slightly over priced aside, at least they're selling legit transformers that don't crumble after 10 minutes of play. for the extra $5 a kid can enjoy the toy much longer than the crappy kos big lot usually sell.

7. MattyB32

MattyB32 Member

I was able to find g2 prime at one. It was 20 bucks. But I bought it because I couldnt find him anywhere else

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought this thread was going to about the shady knockoffs at dollar stores where everything is a buck or two. Because sometimes those things rule.

9. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

That they have nothing but shitty LOC Leobreaker KOs.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think this is related to Hasbro cracking down on many of the knockoff TF toys sold through dollar stores, Big Lots, and the like a couple years back. Afterward Hasbro started selling more of their own toys through these discount chains, either current line toys or "special market" items like the individual Minicons, Cybertron basic repaints and reissues, and others. The problem for consumers is they don't or can't sell these items any cheaper than a similar TF toy from a major retailer, maybe even pricier. It was a little funny to go by a store like Ollie's around the holidays to see ROTF/HFTD scout toys clearanced for around $5 alongside the Cybertron-line beast reissues sold for 8-9$

11. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed on laughing at the pricing disparity. But I don't think it's a crack down per se. It's just another avenue to sell the toys.