What do you expect from Next Gen?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the gap between CG movies and Video games is shrinking with every year that developers get comfortable with new technologies. What would you expect out of a Next Gen unveiling that would make you wet your pants?

The original Xbox was a pretty tough system, so games like Stranger's Wrath and Crimson Skies looked amazing, when the system was on its way out. So much, in fact that when the initial 360 games were shown, I wasn't as impressed. If I had seen Gears of War day one, it would have been a completely different story.

The gap between the PS2 and PS3 was bigger, because the PS2 lacked all the normal-mapping goodies that made games like Riddick on Xbox look almost Next Gen.

But we're at a stage in our consoles where games like Rage and Skryrim look so good that I wonder what would we need to see to blow us away.

Of course, this is just speaking visually. What other things would you want/expect to see next generation?

edit: I know it's not the popular next gen system, but another example of what we're seeing is Wii U's implementation of the tablet popularity and applying it to their next console.

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smellovision and gaming in 4D!

Realistically though, there haven't been any huge advances in mainstream televeisions like there was during the changeover from SD to HD tv, so I don't expect as big a leap as say from the ps2 days to ps3.

At the same time, though, I think there is a future in the development of megatextures like those seen in Rage, as well as hopefully some innovative use of 3D as it becomes more mainstream and hopefully truly glasses free.

Other than that, the big changes you'll probably see initially will just be all games running native 1080p resolution (or higher perhaps), more intricate texturing and physics modeling, as well as more on the screen at once with less of a drop in framerate.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the animation front, hopefully we'll see an evolution of the Uncharted-style natural movement. Uncharted does it well, but I can definitely see it evolving into something more natural and realistic.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Aside from the leap in graphics, I expect some form of capturing screen shots and video and an easy way of exporting them to Facebook, YouTube, what and also ever.

They're sort of toying with that now, but steps are missing.

For instance, in Street Fighter I keep a full log of replays, but there's no easy way to get other people to see them.

I also expect voice recognition commands to play a surprise role in the next gen.
    Mass Effect 3 is just the beginning.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There should definitely be a way to show the world how you wage your battle to destroy the evil forces of...Smangerbot.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

or rather, how he fails ;) 

if SOPA gets passed that probably won't happen either :/

i hope to see something truly different, i mean, in the last couple generations we've basically seen graphics get better, but fps games are still essentially the same, as are most other genres. obviously the kinnect and 'waggle' have tried, but they always boil down to minigames.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. That's part of the reason why I'm not hatin' on the Wii U just yet. I use my tablet a lot, and if done (see. correctly) they could create some innovative ways to play games. I know, for one, that maps and interactive elements in a Zelda game would work quite well. An MGS game could allow you to have a cool communication touch device as your controller.

The way the Wii used the Wiimote for Silent Hill Shattered Memories was more Next Gen than a lot of the fancy graphics stuff I've played.

8. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    Some use of cloud sharing from Sony. (Like the transfarring feature but bigger)

Other than that, I can't think of anything else other than an internet browser feature for the next Xbox console. (The 360 should've had it)

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    What!?!!?!
    Remember that time I beat you with a perfect?

Me either. :( 

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

TRASH/SMASH TALKING!

doesn't work so well when it's aimed at yourself...

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I expect real time ray tracing, texture mapping, Gourad shading and if we're really going to push the boat out graphically, bump mapping.

Seriously, that shit casts SHADOWS and everything.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, my only real complaint about the current 360 graphics are the awful shadows. I don't think I've seen the hardware create a realistic one yet.

As for next gen - I want headtracking immersive 3D. I've wanted that for years, though. Or maybe something along the lines of augmented reality on the 3DS but much better, like a first person shooter in your own house using special glasses that tie into the system. You walk around the house shooting enemies that would pop out from around corners, come down stairs, hide behind stuff, etc. You'd probably have to scan your house beforehand somehow or put in precise room measurements and floor plans. Maybe not possible yet but someday we WILL see this.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

My only request is for more unusual games.

I love the Arkhams, Uncharteds and Mass Effects as much as the next dude, but its stuff like Dead Rising, Heavy Rain and Deadly Premonition that really grabbed me this time round.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haha, I was being facecious.

Having said that should yeah, shadows DO look like ass on 360...

Personally what am I expecting?

1080p standard res, probable future upgrade to any future screen resolutions.

Shock solid 60fps as a basic. Considering a lot of TV's are now minimum 100/120hz and going up consoles need to reflect this.

15. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Smell-o-vision and lasers around the room that projects a holographic world for you to play your game in, and laser shock points on a suit you have to wear that jabs into your blood vessels and sends an electric shock every time you get shot.

Now that's what I call immersion.

16. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I'd be happy with graphics plateu-ing for a while, a few (mostly Pc) games are starting to almost hit a sort of "it looks a bit like a painting, but moving" (it's a bugger to describe), I'd be content to let games hit that, settle and focus on the rest of the technology for a while. I keep imagining a Thief game with the whole of the City, where you can break into every room in every building, choosing how and when to pull off any heist imaginable. Too tricky for current tech, unless you want the city to be tiny, so let's get that stuff bulked up. It can still improve the spectacle, too: a deep, satisfying hack and slash game with strategy elements on a battlefield of thousands, lead the army, set up a plan, then take to the field yourself to support them, and issue micro commands on the go - Bladestorm on Steroids, Dynasty Warriors with modern game design, command, and wide open battlefields.

Graphics are really cool, but they're arguably the least important part of a game. I'd like the other bits to be the focus (if not the marketing focus).

17. Starfire22

News Credits:
    A better D-pad on the controller for the next xbox console. (The current one isn't as good)

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

I'm in favour of both of these ideas.

In truth I'm not sure what to expect myself out of the next generation of consoles, other than the same old pissing contests that is :p 

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I really do not see what the point of this is. Most people already have devices with browsers from computers to phones so why is it needed on a video game console. My desktop is used only for gaming and has a web browser with a 1080p led tv to it so why do i need a console to mimic this.

Also 60 frames per second is not needed. Movies and tv have been 28 frames per second for a long time because you cant make the motion any smoother at higher levels. What is needed are tvs with even higher refresh rates to make the image smoother not frames per second.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  20. Starfire22

News Credits:
    It's a little thing called convenience. ;) 

Plus, if the other consoles have browsers why shouldn't the xbox have one?