What do you do with a lazy roommate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tarngold, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Tarngold

Tarngold Knight of Braves<br><font COLOR=limegreen>G Stoned

News Credits:
    Ok, so ive just gotten moved into an apartment with a friend of mine. He keeps to himself most of the time and stays in his room most of the time playing on his computer.

My problem is that he does nothing for our apartment whatsoever. He doesnt do any housecleaning, or dishwashing, and has only gone grocery shopping once for himself. Ive confronted him on the issue and he tells me that he doesnt care how the apartment looks just that its a place to stay. I want him to help out!

What the hell should i do? Im not going to go to extremes, i dont want bad feelings because that will make living worse, and please serious responses only.

thanks.

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly, I would consider looking for a new place to live. Beyond that I have no other advice to offer.

3. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Put him in a longboat till he's sober.
    (Ear-lye in the morning.)

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    New roomate time. This time, one with boobs. They pick up after themselves better.

5. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

New roommate time for sure. People won't change their habits, and he's already said that he doesn't care how it looks. You need to find a friend that does care if their place is presentable and move in with them. Pushing the situation with this friend probably won't solve the situation at all, just make it worse.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Gotta agree, maybe someday the guy will grow up and help out, but for now, he doesn't care. Pushing the situation will probably just piss him off.

I guess you could try charging him more for rent and call it a "lazy ass roommate/I'm not your fucking mother" charge or something.

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly?

Shop for yourself. Move his stuff and messes to his side of the apartment, moreover by his bed/sleeping quarters. Don't do his laundry. Throw it by his bed. Basically, FORCE him to do stuff for himself.

8. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

smother him with a pillow and just as he's about to pass out tell him to clean up his f'ing mess

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I had this problem a while ago. I just hit him where it hurt, in the food department. I started labeling all my food and bought some small hamster cages and padlocks and locked all my food up. He started shopping for himself REALLY quick.

That and I started inviting my friends of the female persuasion over more and more. Hearing me say "Meredith's heading over in a bit" got him cleaning up the place by himself.

Worked for me, at least. ^_^

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Lock down your food and become a dick about what chores need done. I had to so that with my second round of roomies, and it eventually worked.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Now we need pics of Meredith!

12. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Poop in his loafers.

I don't know what good that will do, but at least it made me laugh, and you were looking for serious responses anyway. So here it is.

How are the utilities paid? Whose name is the lease in? If your name is the only one on the lease, or you are the only one paying for certain utilites, give him an ultimatum to start earning his keep around the place, and if he doesn't follow through, then cancel a service, such as cable or internet service. Once he wisens up, have the service turned back on.

Sure it's a little extreme and will be a hassle to you, but at least it will get the point across. Failing that, start putting all your own stuff, food, laundry supplies, tableware, etc. under lock and key, and only clean up your areas of the apartment.

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm more of a live and let live. If his habits bother you...he's probably not going to change. If you're comfortable with just picking up your messes and leaving his, fine. If not, move out. But also let said roommate know if you're going to do so, just to give him an opportunity to clean up his act. Also, your lease may have a clause that says that apartment must be kept in a clean condition. That may or may not spur him into acts of cleaning, but it mayn't hurt.

-Tony!

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Does he pour cereal in the sink and never rinse stuff? Does he leave condom wrappers in the fridge? Do him and his partner fuck in your bed when you're away?

If you answered 'yes' to any of those, give 'em one from me.

15. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Move out or change roommates. Ive lived with enought people like that to know they most people wont change and if they see you cleaning up all the time and taking matters of the house chores into your hands they will assume you will do it all the time and never step up.

16. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can only concur with what others have said. Keep your food to yourself, that'll make him shop very quickly. If he junks up common areas, just throw his shit into his room.

Being a roommate means that you must, on some basic level, care about the upkeep of the place and contribute because otherwise you're just being an ass. Pointing that out more than likely will not help, but forcing the issue, using above suggestions just might.

17. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

This is what I'd do.

18. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

That's so fucking mean. Make a mess in your bed just so they don't have to clean it up or worry about sleeping on a wet spot.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shoot him. Twice, in the head. Just in case he survives the first shot. Dump the body and the gun into a large body of water somewhere. From this point you can begin to look for different room mates.

20. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I say fire.

Fire fixes everything.

Lots of fire.