What do you do if you have a figure with loose joints?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Aug 31, 2009.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My TRU Universe Countdown last night had just given up. He was fine when I bought it, but I noticed it standing a little funny last night and took it out to inspect it. The right leg, the one under the weight of the rocket, is loose as hell now, it won't ratchet back and forth anymore. It doesn't swing, but it also doesn't want to hold his weight, so posing is a no go.

I've been debating selling him because even though it's a display piece, i want my displays in good shape.

Is there a way to fix ratcheted joints easily or should I just get a new one.

What would you guys do?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Have you taken the leg apart and compared it to the other one to see if there's something different in the assembly?

A pic might help.

3. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going to go buy a small enough screwdriver tonight so that I can mess with it. I haven't had much experience dismantling transformers. I figured I couldn't have worn the ratchet down because it's never touched. After I get it apart, I'll take a pic and post it.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Be careful when dismantling limbs with ratchet joints. There are springs and small parts that will pop out when you take them apart.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    ^ This. Many times I've fixed ratchets and been subject to the 'explosion'. Mind your eyes or you'll get a spring injection in your peeper.
    Usually ratchets don't have many parts and are easy to reset or tighten. Could just be that it was misassembled. The problem is often working out what bit went where and then getting them all back in to close the casing without them springing back out again. When I fixed my Omegatron's arm recently it took ages to massage everything back into place and close it up.
    If you find the ratchet is broken or you just can't get everything back in then screw the casing shut as-is and take it back to the place you got it for refund or replacement. Well, you could do that anyway but there's a nice little satisfaction of getting a wonkey joint clicking again. :)