What do you consider to be *BAD* Generation One toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I don't judge G1 toys by the same standards as modern toys, otherwise all G1 toys would be bad quality.

Lack of articulation isn't really an issue. Neither is simplistic transformations. Although I do expect transformation to become more complicated as the toy gets larger.

I do not consider Throttlebots, Firecons or Action Masters to be bad toys. Simple toys, yes. Bad toys, no. They function the way they were designed to and are cheap.

The only flaw IMO that G1 toys have is if they can't stand up by themselves. Pretender Landmine's robot mode is hard to stand up, and pretty impossible if he is holding his weapon.

2. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

Ironhide/Ratchet

3. CybertronStreak

CybertronStreak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    probably the Firecons

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Most '86 onwards, where the toys became full of gimmicks. They're not bad toys as much as they never reached the giddy heights of the 84-85 range. I love them all anyway, but these are the ones I love the least.

Kup
    Blurr
    Rodimus
    Wreck-Gar
    Octane
    Broadside
    Aubobot Mini-target masters
    Autobot Mini-head masters
    Pretender Classics
    Pretenders
    UK / US Powermaster Prime - sucks compared to Ginrai
    2nd release Ultra Magnus (cheap plastic parts, minimal paint apps, no glass in cab)

5. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    honestly, what were they thinking?

6. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I mean, I get it (after I joined this website) -- most of season 1 cast were brought in from the Diaclone line, but I wish they would have at least TRIED to make them look like their on-screen counterparts.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think they're great toys!!!

They're just absolutely terrible representations of Ironhide and Ratchet. Thank god the animation models were changed otherwise we would have never known any different and that's how we'd think of IH and Ratchet.

8. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

To G1's credit many if not all of the toys in the 84 - 85 line up were toys previously designed and already used many years prior to their existence as Transformers. So keeping that in mind I don't really fault such figures as Ironhide and Ratchet. But since the toys from 1986 on forward were more currently designed toys at that time I can see people having some of those toys be considered *bad* G1 toys. Quite frankly I just consider Action Masters the worst of the G1 toys. They were Transformers that didn't transform. That's just too much of an epic fail for my tastes. But I am talking about just my tastes here. Not any kind of facts.

9. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Ironhide and Ratchet's G1 toys were designed way before the cartoon existed. Or the cartoon was made way after the toys were designed. You can look at it either way.

10. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Whas wrong about a toy that was originally designed to be a non-sentient robotic vehicle for a human to ride?

Its not the designers fault that it was repurposed to be a sentient robot years later.

Even in 1984, the toys came first then the cartoon animators changed the appearance of the toys.

Would you also call G.I. Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures to be epic fails too? They don't transform either. Action Masters were (mostly) articulated show accurate Transformers characters but with the play pattern of G.I. Joe. By that point, Transformers had become a brand name, not a description of what the toys do.

How about Spiderman toys that fail to do anything a spider can?

11. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

That's why I kind of give their mold a pass. It would've been nice if they even put in like a sticker for a "face" inside the front window. I guess at least the box art doesn't make any fake promises :lol 

12. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

Nothing's wrong with it - I just decided to use attempt at on-screen accuracy as my basis for calling a figure bad. Like I said, I understand why it is the way it is, I just wish they would have put more effort into it besides a paint job. Or I guess the animators could have made Ironhide/Ratchet look like the toys since they came first.

13. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Firecons were hideous; the spark shooting gimmick was ok but the toys just didn't look good. Brawn and Ironhide/ Ratchet were disappointing when I finally saw what the toys looked like when I was around 15. I guess that's more due to the fact I grew up watching the FHE VHS tapes as a kid since I was born in 85 and I never saw the original G1 bots besides my older cousins' toys or the ones that had G2 releases. I guess the hype I'd built around the characters killed those 3 toys in my eyes.

14. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Even as a child I never liked - and I'll get slammed for this, no doubt - the triplechanger toys, with the exception of Blitzwing & Astrotrain. They were cool (anyone who's seen my posts in the MP thread will know I've called for MP triplechangers without much prompting). But all the others... I thought just looked wrong in at least one if not both modes, never liked em, never liked them to play with & transform either.

My feelings haven't changed as an adult, in that regard. In fact, I'm not much impressed with the Classics triplechangers, never mind the originals :) 

15. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I didn't realize he was part of this line, but man, I absolutely loved Doublecross! :lol  I think mostly because I was a huge fan of blue visors on Transformers for eyes :D  (I loved Jazz back in the day too)

16. Bass X0

News Credits:
    This is the only factual statement. There was no cartoon to base the toys color scheme on when Hasbro were coming up with the color schemes to release in Transformers.

Hard to base a color scheme on something that just didn't exist until several months later.

17. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I didn't know this was going to become a "tell me what you don't like about G1 toys and I'll tell you why you're wrong" thread :lol 

18. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

Pretenders and Action Masters. To me these were the ugliest and most worthless of the line.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Wheelie.

Seriously, they didn't even TRY with this one, and he doesn't have the excuse of not having animation models to be based on because he was introduced in the movie. I mean, his head is just a face under the car cockpit windshield when they could have just done the same thing they do for Bumblebee's head on the original figure with a flip-back panel on the rear of the car.

20. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Its okay not to like the Ironhide and Ratchet toys. But I can't let "they should have looked like they did in the cartoon" statements slip by unchallenged.

The only time the cartoon models were designed first and the toys second was for the new characters in the 1986 movie (except for Ultra Magnus).

I quite like these character designs for Ironhide and Ratchet:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd add the color from the toy's legs to the artwork. But other than that they are pretty much fine.