What Do You Consider Canon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by darksage78, Jul 21, 2007.

1. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Well I was just thinking do people mesh comic and show continuity together for storyline? After reading IDW's BW The Gathering which was meant to be set in the same universe as the show, I'm beginning to accept that. But then reading what information is out for Ascending, they're integrating elements from BW II and Neo, shows I never considered part of the BW story partially because I've never seen the series and I haven't heard too many great things about it and that the story kinda mixed the fact that in their regular Beast Wars the planet wasn't Earth and I think it was either Lio or Big Convoy that went to Earth's far future...

For myself I used to view the original G1 canon as:
    G1 => BW => BM
    now I kinda got it into...
    G1 => BW + The Gathering => BM

This got more complicated for me when I started reading other TF comic series like The War Within and then IDW's Stormbringer and Infiltration series. Is War Within supposed to be the origin story of Dreamwave's universe or possible for any series out there? It could be Dreamwave's universe because Optimus does see visions referencing elements of the future that are from Dreamwave's G1 comics and it could also be for the main G1 cartoon series since they do show diagnostic drones from BM. But after reading Stormbringer I got thinking because they used the pre-Earth designs for Prime and Megs, so I'm kinda lost lol

Now I realize its personal preference and opinion, but I just wanted to know what other people in the community thought. Maybe there are people out there that really hated BM and don't consider it have happened at all.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The coloring books. Everything else is misleading apocrypha.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    BW and BM. Canon didn't exist before or after that.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Its all canon, and amalgamate (if I'm even spelling that right) a lot of it together.
    DN

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me its,

G1 cartoon (other than the Quints) + Marvel G1 comics (about Unicron) + BW.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In terms of G1-related stuff, I have two canons:

Canon 1
    Megatron Origin and various flashbacks (IDW)
    Parts of DW War Within that don't contradict IDW's flashbacks
    IDW "present day" G1 stuff (main series, Spotlights, etc)
    Beast Wars cartoon
    Beast Machines cartoon

Canon 2
    Marvel G1 comics (includes both US and UK)
    Marvel G2 comics
    Beast Wars cartoon
    Beast Machines cartoon

I prefer Canon 1 right now, but it's hard to draw conclusions until IDW's storyline gets a little further along.

Excluded:
    - G1 cartoon - I thought it was crap and choose to ignore it as much as possible.
    - DW/IDW BW The Gathering - It was...OK, but unless the BW comics get significantly better, I'd rather just ignore them.
    - Almost all DW - I consider the personalities in the MTMTE profiles canon, and do take into account the parts of WW that fit in IDW's continuity, but most of DW's G1 stuff had too much fanwank and weak writing for me to take it seriously.

7. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Interesting, do you mean IDW's present day G1 stuff as in Infiltration, etc? Cause in that case the TFs just got to Earth not too long ago, having BW happen would be difficult in the sense that Optimus Prime was not on Earth, no Ark and no Nemesis.

8. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

If Simon Furman wrote it it's cannon. I don't get people who don't get him and I don't want to. I'll take that dude and give back Bec..? soccer guy all day. TX

9. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    I don't worry about canon too much. If it's fun to watch/read, then I do so.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

G1= season one, and season two (untill it became combiner of the week) and the comics so long as they don't involve giant alien amazons, or merging Prime with puny flesh creatures.

Anything else, I consider different continuity.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really think there is a canon in a franchise that's so diverse as this one. I mean, by definition canon would be the story and plot and backstory created by the writers for that given media.

So, G1 cartoon canon would be defined by the G1 cartoon, G1 Marvel comic canon would be defined by the Marvel comics, DW comic canon would be defined by the DW comics and IDW comic canon would be defined by the IDW comics.

Anything else, where people merge the series together and pic and choose what they take and leave would technically be considered fanon. And, yeah, I've got my own fanon so I don't have anything wrong with that, but honestly I mainly just enjoy each individual series and media for it's own merits without trying to provok too much thought from a cartoon or comic based around a toyline.

12. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Using the Multiverse concepts introduced in the Cybertron: Balancing Act graphic novel, I can now safely say that I concider EVERYTHING cannon. If any part doesn't fit, it's a "Meanwhile, in another dimention" story. It's just easier that way, and a lot of fun to set up pan-dimentional situations, like Beast wars TM Megatron steping into Bin/Alt-iverse, thanks to Binaltech Ravage's knowledge of Transwarp technology. And it means everyone's a winner. Yay!

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Marvel G1 - Generation 2 - Beast Wars - Beast Machines - Botcon Wreckers comics

Armada - Energon

Galaxy Force

14. KingForm

KingForm Banned

Everything.

15. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I just prefer to think of each universe as its own, none of them being interconnected in anyway. At least thats how I think of it right now. I find a combined universe harder to follow with too many things happening at once and more difficult to keep up with.

And as for comics as part of canon, I generally don't combine Botcon storylines into it.

16. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

Ebay:
    My idea of canon is a pretty simple one;

Generation 1 > Beast Wars > Beast Machines

I also consider The Gathering and Ascension apart of continuity, just because it fleshes things out. Now, I don't take Neo and such as official canon, whatever Gathering and Ascension nods towards is fine, but the actual series themselves, no, they're not canon to me.

This is the only canon that matters to me, there's very few errors, and overall it is a great transition from G1 to Beast Wars, everything meshes perfectly, and I will ALWAYS consider Beast Wars the future of Generation One, even with Beast Machines flaws.

17. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't really take anything as cannon, i just like to keep the universes separate, cartoon is cartoon, DW is obviously based off of the cartoon time line, but tis won. IDW is IDW, marvel comics is the comics and so forth. Armade and energon go together but i havent really watched them through, and since i saw cybertron as galaxy force (much better imo) i keep that seperate and not part of the "unicron trilogy". it makes more sense as a standalone. i haven't seen any beast related stuff so i haven't worried about that fitting in.

18. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

G1 cartoon - Beast Wars

That's it.

I still follow pretty much everything else, but this is where my TF foundation lies.

19. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Japanese G1 (manga and anime) => Japanese BW => Beast Machines

Parallel stuff = G1 US and UK comics, BW2 and BW Neo manga, Car Robots, 2007 Movie, Binaltech

Stuff I ignore = DW, IDW, G2, Armada trilogy

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What Do You Consider Canon?

Microns/Minicons.

Why? Minicons bind all the TF universes together. (Even some RID Transformers have Minicon ports) It's ALL G1! :lol  :D 

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007