What do we think will happen in tf IDW post Unicron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Transformers New 52.

Oh fuck.

2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

noooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Why not?
    Spider-Man appeared in the original Marvel run.

4. Grimlock528

I’m hesitant to wish for a new creative team. Though I agree that things have felt “off” for a bit, I suffered through McCarthy and Costa and my fear is that there are more of them out there in the world then there are of Barbers and Roberts’s.
    IMHO, the title rebranding hurt things. The artist shake-up hurt things. The Hasbro events hurt things. IDW, if sales are slumping since the change, read the forums and put right what once went wrong.
    No, I’m not asking for a “Quantum Leap” crossover either.

5. Grimlock528

Another thought I had (sorry, all at once and all that), I wonder just how close we are to the end of Roberts “plan”. True, numerically we are close. But the original plan has been changed multiple times, to accommodate crossovers and events, Megatrons arc, etc etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if Getaway finding “Cyberutipia” was more like the very center of his plan.

6. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    The comics industry is different than it was in the 1980s. Sure, Marvel of the 80s was fine with throwing licenses like Godzilla and Conan and Micronauts into the mainstream Marvel Universe, but not so much nowadays. The key reason for this is how comics rely on trade paperback sales and reprints. If a company was to take a licensed property and incorporate it with intellectual property they wholly own, if they ever lose that license, not only does it fundamentally affect the fiction, but also any future reprints of the licensed material may be revoked. It’s not a guaranteed thing, but most companies would simply avoid the potential legal mess in favor of simply keeping them separate.

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

As long as Hasbro's owning all TF characters, Cybertronian or others, who did originate in their franchise-related fiction first... Do not expect TF books being put with the same continuity with the Marvelverse even if the comic books went back to Marvel.

8. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A license isn't enough. Disney has to buy Hasbro. Then Bumblebee can join the Avengers.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Where did you find IDW editorial plan? :X

• Like Like x 3
  10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    giphy[1].gif

11. Grimlock528

Nicely explained. Makes sense to me and honestly I would prefer they didn’t cross over anyway.

12. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Ugh, I have the first TF marvel g1 classics trades idw put out. Until the final volume every issue with circuit breaker or the spider-man issue had to be replaced by summaries due to the rights issues.

13. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Hasn’t Disney tried that a few times?

14. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think we'll probably get a single new TF title from a new writer, and maybe a "Universe"-style anthology title to go alongside it, though I kind of doubt that. There will likely be a new ROM comic, and there's the loose possibility of a new G.I. Joe one, though after what a disaster the launch of Scarlett's Strike Force was it's up in the air.

Assuming that this is the last "season" of Lost Light/MTMTE, and that it's ~25 issues like the previous seasons, Lost Light should be ending shortly before or during UtDH taking place. There's no reason to think that it'll "interrupt" anything.

The rebrandings didn't help, but they didn't really hurt sales either. The general downward trend of both titles is just continuing from what they were before.

15. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    my eyes are burning from reading that. dear god.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Grimlock528

The rebrandings didn't help, but they didn't really hurt sales either. The general downward trend of both titles is just continuing from what they were before.[/QUOTE]

True. It just reminds me of situations where the “Brand” isn’t very front and center so as to appeal to mass marketing.
    MTMTE and RID were both “TransFormers”. OP and LL seem to have the title focus shifted to those names, making it very niche. LL more so, with OP being a household name, but niche it still is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I have it on good authority that massive stuff is on the way post Unicron. Big stuff.

So I'm cautiously optimistic

18. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I mentioned earlier I'd like to see Megatron found guilty, but instead of the death penalty like everyone is expecting, he has to basically become a protector of life, with one of the Knights to make sure he doesn't break parole. It could keep Lost Light going in spirit if nothing else (Megs basically have to travel the universe protecting life and saving whoever he can), and have other like minded bots, or those who don't want to go back to Cybertron or just want to keep questing go with him. It could also fall into the "If that guy was out there (Unicron), and we have the Galactic Council and Black Block Consortia waiting, what else might we find out there? We have to protect Cybertron!" mindset too. Then if/when OPTIMUS Primal shows up, have another bot do the whole "Every Optimus needs a Megatron" mindset, take the name for himself, and we have BW Megatron. That gives the writers a good Megatron to continue without breaking his new character development, and an evil Megatron they can use for whatever they want.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Sorry, but no benefit of doubt here.

Their idea of massive stuff to this day included one crossover event after another and on the G.I.Joe side of the things even Army Ants.

Actually, I'm scared what IDW might consider a big or massive story.

20. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I don't blame you but I prefer to be optimistic.

My biggest concern is that Unicron will be handled badly

• Like Like x 1