What do we think will happen in tf IDW post Unicron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Dec 30, 2017.

1. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this the last few days but what do folk expect will happen after the Unicron story in IDW?

Will we get a complete reboot and start again from scratch?

Will the stories continue on as is with maybe other tf characters from other continuities featuring?

Are we all tired of this continuity and hope its a reboot or hope we continue on? What do we hope to see? Will IDW announce a new book or books post Unicron?

2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

MLP vs Transformers, of course.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Well yeah thought that was obvious.....

4. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    There's talk in the fandom about a reboot. If that was to occur, the story would be heavily influenced by what Hasbro plan to produce in the line after POTP. However IDW reboot the universe, it would have to revolve around the characters on toy store shelves. It could branch out later on, but to begin with, IDW are stuck with whoever/whatever Hasbro have chosen.

5. gregles

gregles quintesson

They could also do a meta 4th wall breaking whirl vs Bronies spin off

As for the initial subject as long as we get great comics by talented artists and writers with creative freedom and minimal interference I don’t mind a continuity reboot or fresh start so long as the current comics are allowed to end with grace.

6. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

Probably more political squabbling or Strange New Beings!!!!! from a new dimension coming in......

• Like Like x 2
  7. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I don't think we'll see a full-on universal reboot, but I do think the Transformers books will be refocused to a single title. The Hasbro Universe will also be sticking around.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, but, who's gonna write it?

9. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Probably either a new writer (to get some fresh blood in the franchise) or John Barber.

10. hardlurk

News Credits:
    What if they brought back critically-acclaimed fan-favorite Mike Costa to do a combined TF/Joe book???

• Like Like x 1
  11. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

IDW gives up the TF franchises to marvel?

12. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    And why would Disney want to pay Hasbro a licensing fee for something that (in a way) promotes a rival studio's films?

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Build-up over months, then Unicron gets easily defeated. Optimus keeps giving speeches while Pyra Magna doubts his abilities. Meanwhile the Lost Light still has not caught up and gets spoiled through the events in the other book.

• Like Like x 7
  14. DireChymeras

DireChymeras Triorian Guard

i hope for a shift in focus but the same continuity at least, honestly have no clue though

• Like Like x 1
  15. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Part of the pie is worth more than none of the pie. Even if disney made 1 to 10% of every dollar sold, I think they’d stand to make a ton of money.

And (hypothetically), it benefits Hasbro if one of the big companies takes on Transformers because they have a bigger portion of the market than IDW.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  16. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Honestly, if that were to ever happen, I'd be done with Transformers comics. If people think the Hasbroverse is bad now, it'd be infinitely worse with Marvel. You don't have to like the crossovers, but they've been nowhere near the convoluted mess that Marvel's are, and at least none of it has been necessary reading to understand what the hell's going on in the books you actually like.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping the Unicron stuff is as inconsequential as any of the other major events, and we can go on with business as usual. I'm reading Optimus Prime just to keep up with current events, and I'm finding that it's hard to follow the plot without also reading the crossovers which I have no interest in. Lost Light is the only TF book I'm reading that has a sense of direction and self-contained plot, and I just want Lost Light to be left alone.

If the characters must be involved in the Unicron stuff, I hope it's more or less like it was in Dark Cybertron or Combiner Wars. You know.

Optimus: "Hey Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus! Want to help us fight Unicron?"

Hot Rod: "Sure! I was planning to confront Getaway, but I'm happy to help. Optimus, please teleport us to where you are!"

Optimus: "Hello Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus! Welcome to the fight against Unicron! Hey, Hot Rod, why are you black and purple? Here, use my red paint. I have plenty. Okay, to Unicron!"

*12 issues later, Unicron is defeated*

Optimus: "THANK YOU, Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus, for your help against Unicron!"

Hot Rod: "No problem! Say, Optimus, can you teleport us back to Necroworld so I can regroup with Brainstorm, Roller, Cyclonus, and the others? We need to catch Getaway!"

Optimus: "No problem, buddy!"

I wouldn't even mind if Lost Light went on a several-month hiatus so that IDW can have their fun with the Unicron stuff without having to put Lost Light on "walk the dog" plot lines to pass the time until Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus, and others are available to continue their plans to fight Getaway.

I also wouldn't mind if we got, like, 10 issues of Lost Light focusing on the Scavengers while Hot Rod and the others are dealing with Unicron.

I also wouldn't mind if IDW does its usual screwy thing where the different titles are published in different story order, so that stuff is spoiled in 1 title before it happens in other titles. Thus, Lost Light can continue relatively unharassed with maybe Hot Rod briefly saying something like, "Whew! This fight with Getaway sure is intense! GOOD THING WE ANSWERED OPTIMUS' CALL, WENT TO CYBERTRON, AND DEFEATED UNICRON LAST WEEK, right fellas? It was very good practice for our REAL fight against Getaway!" while the main Unicron event is still happening.

Look, what I'm saying is, Lost Light is the only TF series I have any interest in anymore. Please, IDW, don't let this Unicron get in the way of the Getaway vs. Hot Rod and "reaching Cyberutopia" story that's been YEARS in the making.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  18. hardlurk

News Credits:
    The Lost Light v3 trade is going to collect LL #13-18. The Optimus Prime v4 trade will presumably collect OP #15-18 ("The Falling") and the 2018 annual.

The Unicron event will probably consist of FCBD Unicron #0 + Lost Light #19/20 + Optimus Prime #19/20.

Then Lost Light and Optimus Prime will get their final arcs with #21-25?

And IDW will launch another batch of Hasbro Universe books in 2019, including a new TF book?

19. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Thanks for laying it out.

I don't care what happens if the stories are good. I am NOT in favor of any kind of reboot of IDW. BUT I do think that it would be a good time for IDW to try some new avenues or creative teams. There's lots of amazing stuff in the universe created, I'd just like to tackle some different directions and characters.

20. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I mean, even if Marvel did get the license (which wouldn't happen for a whole host of reasons), they wouldn't incorporate them into the Marvel Universe, for legal reasons more than anything else.