What do the name changes mean for the merchandise and film?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    OK so we now know the names of the formally known Mirage and Wheeljack. The question is Will these names actually be in the film? This isn't a denial thread but more of a reasonable question.

The deeper question is Were these the true names all along or last-minute changes? If this is the former then this secrecy thing has totally screwed up consistency in the merchandise line: books, comics, game, toy.

If this is the later then what does that mean about the film? At this point haven't they recorded the voices? Would they have to re-record dialogue so that there is consistancy with these name changes? If not and there are no name changes then people can assume that this news are lies because Dino and Que wouldn't have appeared in any media.

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    EXACTLY what ive been saying! this logic here is straight PROOF nelson is bitching us!

3. Sideswipe91

Sideswipe91 Autobot warrior

Ebay:
  4. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
  5. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what this means is that the entire franchise looks stupid by looking like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing

6. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    If it's true. It's kinda stupid that those car companies are choosing names of transformers characters. I mean come on, the film is promoting their cars. They want more than that?

7. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How dare you. Go to church sunday and repent damn you. This franchise will never look stupid you heretic. There may be portions of the franchise that some may find out of place or stupid, but as a whole it will never be stupid.

And I take back the go to church and repent. After such a comment no amount of repenting will save you from hell now. :ev: :tongue: 

8. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    It means that two more Transformers are having identiy crisis'.

9. brains

brains Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My guess is neither of these chars will have more than 1 or 2 lines anyway and then be disposed of. Names don't really matter.

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

What was the reasons for the name changes anyway? I don't see why they would drop Mirage and go with "Dino" instead. That doesn't even sound like a name a Transformer would have IMO. Might as well start naming characters George, Billy, Keith, or Doug.

Autobot Doug, yeah that sounds totally awesome.

11. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

The name changes don't mean anything, you'll still be buying toys of Mirage and Wheeljack, playing as them in the game and reading about them in the books/comics.

For whatever creative or legal reasons they have had their names altered in the movie and that's all.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    That means nothing. Shockwave was listed as "Villain", Crankcase was listed as "Enforcer" and I believe Sentinel Prime was listed as "Firetruck". Having figures listed as their role in the film or as their vehicle mode is common.

I'm gonna call BS on this. Mainly due to the fact that this is all being said weeks before the movie and after all the tie-in material such as the novels, kid books and comics revealing their names have been released.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think this is just a crude way of making us call into question all the plot spoilers we've been privy to during the past few weeks.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I don't think it'll have any affect on the toy-line. We've already got one Ferrari-bot based toy named Mirage on it's way, so I'll be surprised if the rest of the toy's based off of "Dino" don't follow suit name-wise. I imagine all of "Que's" toys will be named Wheeljack. If anything, the name confusions will hurt the toy-line, as non-fans will be confused after the movie comes out.

Of course this is all assuming that Bay and Nelson aren't screwing with us, and they'll actually be called Mirage and Wheeljack in the movie.

15. cnic

cnic Decepticon

I pissed my pants when I read this.

16. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

"Mirage's luck ran out when Shockwave arrived on the scene and blasted him and Wheeljack, leaving them terribly injured. Ratchet could save their lives, but was unsure if they'd end up looking the same after his repairs."

Quoted from the summary of Rising Storm #4, and clearly a clever way of explaining their new looks in the movie. Why else would they do that?

Dino and Que are fake names.

17. hound88

hound88 Well-Known Member

Dino?? Ha ha ha if this is true then this is proof that Michael Bay is f----- around with Hasbro and the Transformers brand!

MIght as well call him GEORGE!!

18. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thats what I've been sayin

19. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh please i come to these boards on a daily basis nothing will save me now, ahahahahahahahah

20. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

I presume this Ferrari crap (if it's true) doesn't cover the DOTM videogame as well, and we'll have a Mirage in the game that will turn into the actual Ferrari from the movie AND be called Mirage?

I say this because I know they did the stuff with Sideways and his toy from ROTF being an almost-Audi, but in the ROTF game he actually did turn into the real Audi car, I remember the licensing stuff on one of the screens when you load the game up.