What do TFs refer to themselves as?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lion, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    This is a serious question...I don't know why I thought of it, but do TF refer to themselves as TFs? Much like Humans can call themselves humans? Wasn't it humans that named them the TFs? I know I can go look up stuff in comics or the movies, but just asking to find out other ideas.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cybertronians.

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I can't confirm, but I think "Cybertronian" is the most likely self-referential as far as species goes. Then again, I don't think we've ever seen any species on Cybertron except for Transformers, whereas on Earth we refer to ourselves as humans because this planet has such a wide variety of lifeforms.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I hate that word. I use Cybertrons where I can because Cybertronians sounds overextended and silly. Like something out of Futurama.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Autobots and Decepticons...and as a subgroup: Head Master, Target Master etc.

As a side note Arcee did not become a full fleged "Head"master until after the Prom. Hot Rod knows...

6. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I think one of the problems with the Transformer's mythos is we never see enough regular Cybertronian citizens just hanging out doing their thing.... I'm thinking in particular of the opening scene of the movie where all those robots are having their robo cocktails.

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

If they are in Japan , they refer themselves as Destrons (autobots) & cybertonians (decepticons). In the US they are all cybertonians I guess...

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Uh... Want to give that another try? Maybe vice the versa? (Destrons, Destrongers as Decepticons, and Cybertrons as Autobots.)

It seemed in the G2 comics that the G2 referenced themselves via faction in place of a species label.

In the series, they seemed to refer to themselves as a collective as Transformers, with only those from Cybertron (rightly so) as Cybertronian.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I figured it was either Transformers, by faction, or "Children of Primus / the Matrix / the Allspark"

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Americans, Canadians, Filipinos, Mexicans, Europeans, Japanese, Chinese, Hawaiian, Samoan, Tongan, Native American, African, African American, etc :D 

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Oops.... my bad. Thanks :thumb 

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

A Whole Bunch of Transformers History Questions!

This is one of those problems with the varied Transformers canon. There's never been much attempt at all to really establish credible cultural backgrounds for Cybertron. With the all the varied series and origins, we still don't have definitive answers to really basic questions.

Are TFs really male and female? Or do the "femmes" just -look- female. If TFs actually have "gender", then do they also have preferences?

(... looking at YOU, "Star-QUEEN" ! ;)  )

And how do TFs reproduce, if at all? With a lifespan in the millions of years, they would quickly overpopulate, so maybe almost no new TFs are created... of course in the comics and cartoon, it seemed to be embarassingly easy to create new TFs out of nothing but spare parts and good/evil intentions. Not to mention, the methods never seemed to be the same twice in a row. :p 

What about other forms of life on Cybertron (and beyond... the network of mechanical life-forms on other planets)? Do they have flora and fauna? There have been lots of references on the cartoon, and in the comics to cybertronian animals. Even as early as the very first Tech Specs, Mirage's profile mentions hunting "turbofoxes".

So how come we've never seen any of these things? And what does that make characters like Laserbeak, Ratbat, Ravage, SkyLynx, etc... ? Are they Cybertronian animals? Seems unlikely, because according to most sources (excepting the G1 tv show) those characters are fully functioning, reasoning Autobots and Decepticons in their own right.

And where did life on Cybertron come from? The show had the old Quintesson origin, which was contradicted by the whole Vector Sigma thing as well.

The early Marvel Comics had a variant on evolution that I always found sort of amusingly fantastical... that much as life began as the gradual merging of single cell organisms into more complex forms on biological planets, on Cybertron, it was the gradual coming together of tiny gears and pistons that eventually yielded mechanical life. Pretty far-out, but sort of a cute idea.

Meanwhile we now have the emergence of a new, mythic origin... Primus the Mechanical God decided to create a race of mechanoids in his own image. That works, since cosmic god-entities can pretty much do whatever they want, right?

Simon Furman has even postulated a new theory in the recent Spotlight:Nightbeat one-shot special. Interesting stuff in that I never even considered that possibility.... but I'll leave that as a suprise for now. :) 

13. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

"Autobots, Transform and roll out!"

"Decepticons, attack!"

They refer to their faction names I suppose

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Decepticons, Destrons, Destrongers, Deathtrons, Predacons
    Autobots, Cybertrons, Maximals

All are Cybertronian.

I also go with the Primus/Vector Sigma mythos as I believe the Quintessons are liars and thieves and never came up with an original thought in their existence. The Quints may have enslaved the TF race, but they didn't create it.

15. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

Maybe they don't call thamselves anything at all. Maybe its just a human pre-disposition to classify ourselves so rigidly.
    Maybe they don't need to be "Transformers" or "Cybertronians", or whatever. Maby the are happy just to "be", and wouldnt our world be such a better place if we were the same?:D 

That said, if that was the case, they probably wouldn't be a warmongering race locked in a civil war for millions of years...

16. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Having recently watched The Master Builders episode, I'm sure something was going on between Grapple and Hoist. YOU know what I mean.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Anyone actually watch the cartoons? When they're not refering to themselves as Autobots or Decepticons (or whatever subgroup they might be apart of), they call themselves Transformers... sometimes more specifically as Cybertronians. It's no more complicated than males & females calling themselves humans and/or people, even though we're technically all Earthlings as well.

The only confusion I've found is with reference to one another. For example, when the Autobots talk about Megatron and refer to him as "him", "he" or "his". That implies gender, something which, until the introductions of Elita-1 & Arcee, I never thought they really had and still like to believe that they don't. But I guess they had to come up with something so that they didn't have to say sentences like:

"When Megatron attacked, Megatron (he) really did a number on us. Megatron's (his) plan worked perfectly... but we still have to stop Megatron (him)."

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    In G1 they called themselves Transformers, not Cybertronians. Only the stupid shows nowadays say that.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, they did, but that was in FFOD so I ignored it. I ignored everything after the movie.

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I agree with that explaination.