What director would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by .WAL., Sep 24, 2006.

1. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Just out of curiousity, really.

Suppose Bay wasn't doing this movie. Who would you want at the helm?

Chris Nolan, from Batman Begins?

Spielberg?

Robert Zemekis?

Tim Burton (Megatron & Prime look like Burton had a hand in it already)

James Cameron (My favorite)

Who would be your dream director for Transformers?

WAL

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think it would have been neat to have the film in the hands of a director who also appreciated comic books. Guillermo Del Toro, Bryan Singer or Tim Story would have - so far as I can hope - delivered a less ridiculous film in the end.

Of course, these guys are only directing, so it's unlikely they'd have a major impact on the script. However, I wonder if bringing a director like the fellows mentioned above onto the film would have an effect on the outcome - would the film still be mind-numbingly summer blockbusterdumb? Would they be able to actually milk dynamic characters out of the stale script?

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    To be honest, I really don't mind Bay. He would probably be my second choice after Spielberg.

As scary as the thought is, Lucas could probably do a good job too. I'm pretty sure he's familiar with ILM.

4. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

So far, I have no problem with Bay either. This is just "if it wasn't Bay, then who would you want" type of thing.

Lucas? I dunno... He directed THX, American Graffitti, & Star Wars, but I thought Empire was superior. He did Eps. 1, 2, and 3 and earned the fan distinction of being the biggest threat to Star Wars- even tho SW is his baby.

Didn't Lucas also direct Howard the Duck?

James Cameron would be my first choice.

WAL

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Michael Mann. He's a bigger dick than Michael Bay. Not quite as dicktacular as Optimus Prime though.

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I would put my money on Cameron. But If not him then Nolan.

7. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Mel Gibson...Passion of the Autobots

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I used to be dead against the idea of James Cameron, but the more I think about it, I think he could have actually pulled it off. And probably kept it very adult driven. But therein lies the problem someone like Hasbro might have with him. He could possibly make the film *too* dark & violent.

Ideally I would say Bryan Singer. And NOT because I think he is the greatest director, far from it, but he at least knows how to walk the line of being true to an established fan base whilst also taking practical creative liberties for a real world environment. Plus he's young, which I would think means he'd be far more aware of what Transformers are by default than Michael Bay ever was. Plus he'd actually do his research to learn about what he didn't know. Guaranteed that whatever he did with the modified designs, they would still look like something we at least recognize upon first glance.

Then maybe Christopher Nolan - but that's only because he did such a good job with Batman Begins. Hard to say what he would have done with Transformers.

9. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

Definatly Cameron he would make a movie that would kick ass, too bad he's busy looking at the titanic every 5 minutes.

Zemekis would be good too, but i think Cameron is your best bet he'd make an awesome transformers movie!!

10. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

Burton. No way in hell could Burton have a hand in the current design. Burton does gothic dark, not futuristic hollywood dark. If he had a hand in the design, he'd come up with something somewhere between Hearts of Steel and the IDW designs, but with a very "clockworky" feel to them. Burton does do a lot of spiky Blackout looking things, but he would have remained much closer to the source material.
    I feel Burton would emphasise the sheer strangeness of the Transformers and help us relate to them as characters.

11. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Would have loved to see Kerry Conran (Sky Captain director) tackle Transformers just to see how he would have approached the story and design (mmmmm.... 60s retro).

Besides that, Bay is just made for Transformers so no arguements from me.

12. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

The only problem is, we'd have Johnny Depp playing Prime instead of Cullen.

13. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

Johnny Depp would make a pretty good Pirme. I think Burton would succumb to fan pressure though. I think the overall feel is better than the VAs, though. I think that not only would Burton capture elements of the comic and old movie, he'd take it in a new direction that would really suit the franchise.

I see Burton's Prime being a cross between his G1 self, voiced by Cullen, and the Chesire Cat from American McGee's Alice.

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Bryan Singer or Robert Zemekis

Though, I don't really have a huge problem with Bay at this point.

15. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

the wachiowski (sp?) brothers.

16. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

Spielberg and Cameron. They are excellent and even better directors than Bay.

17. Prime crotch

Prime crotch Well-Known Member

Either Cameron or Peter Jackson. I really wouldn't like it if it was directed by either Spielberg or Tim Burton they have their own style that wouldn't fit well with Transformers.

18. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Okay, you're calling the movie ridiculous and it hasn't even come out yet! WTF?!!
    Other than that, I gotta say give it to either Cameron or Spielberg.
    All Singer would manage to do is make a sappy soap opera out of it. LOL
    Giullermo would probably make it too dark.

There aren't very many directors that know how to deliver action movies, and for that aspect alone this movie is in capable hands with Michael Bay. Cameron is the other director. I'll reserve judgment until the film comes out, but I'm looking forward to this movie. AT Least the movie is being made. Let's just be happy with that...for now. LOL

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Stephen King.:ev: 

20. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Johnny Depp is good actor be he would not be a good prime. I dont have a problem with bay, hes made some good movies..