What differs an autobot from a maximal?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bro The Jackal, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

Just read the gathering and wondered what the difference was if everybody was some kind of futuristic vehicle there.

2. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely familiar with the IDW BW continuity, but I'd guess the downsizing. When they became smaller in size to conserve energy, they started becoming the new factions.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    A couple hundred years of technology and social movement, most likely.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    possible changin moral conduct too-the Maximals definately seemed to be a bit more brutal than their Autobot ancestors.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    BW mentions an event called The Great Upgrade, which is apparently an event in which the Transformer race was given upgrades as a whole.

6. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Size based on energy consumption, The Great Upgrade, end of the Great War(s) but the beginning of a cold war, and about three Cybertronian centuries. :) 

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way I saw it, Maximals/Predacons were what happened when a group of various pre-existing Transformer technologies (Micromaster size & efficiency, Pretender-style tech, and probably some other stuff) were put together into a new Cybertronian 'base' form, apparently capable of reconfiguring into mechanical or biological alternate forms. The beast forms are able to do internal repairs to a limited extent, as well as get energy from food. (not sure exactly how that stuff works with a mechanical alt form, but the systems for them are presumably still in place.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  8. Owner

Owner Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.

I've given this some thought...in addition to the Big Upgrade and their downsizing for energon reasons...which I'm guessing eventually became less of a concern as I don't ever recall Maximals or Predacons NEEDING Energon or ever refueling on it or ever mentioning it ran low, however apparently it was still a needed source of energy likely to power ships and maybe facilities.

Now why the faction name changes?

I was wondering if after the Great War perhaps the names Decepticons and Autobots became too much of a hot topic names...too many bad feelings had happened and maybe the name Maximal name was invented to give the planet a unity.

Needless to say...the old feelings didn't go away they just resurfaced under a new name...Predacons.

As far as I know the Maximals and Predacons all had vehicle modes prior to their landing on Earth...I base that on what little info exists pre-BW and be kind this is all from memory so some of it might be incorrect...1) I think if I recall the BW bible is said to mention either Primal or Megatron had, had a Monster Truck mode prior to their landing on Earth. 2) The Con (somebody help me out with a year here) Set gives us Maximals and Preds in pre BW molds that are all vehicles.

Granted neither is exactly Cannon since cannon says if it didn't happen on screen, then it didn't happen...but even BW has a few moments that people consider cannon that didn't appear onscreen....the Rattrap episode that was never made and the restoration of Megatrons spark never happened but are considered cannon none the less. So I guess bible notes and the Con Set can be cannon if you want it to be.

My main question from Beastwars is names...its a little weird that Cheetor, Rattrap, Rhinox, Waspinator, Terrorsaur, Scorpinok, and such should have names that would work out so well before they became such animals...which doesn't seem to be the case all the time considering Rattrap, Cheetor and Rhinox all seem to rename themselves.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Changing political ideals. Look at how the US party system has changed in the past two hundred years. It's not that difficult to imagine that ideals had changed in however many years it was between the end of G1 and the BW/BM timeline.

10. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Autobots are the ancestors of the Maximals.

11. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fur.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yeah, Autobots are shaved :D 

13. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

A few letters. :) 

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Autobots go on the shelf, Maximals share the carpet. :D 

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

thre Maximal elders may be Autobot War Veterans who don't like certain files to be read (ie Starscream's history) and my have some corruption in it (touched on, never really explored in the Beast Era) and the Predacons are probably made up of former Decepticons (Ravage, maybe the orginal Predacons, and according to some fan speculation the micromasters). However, Beast Machines completely ignored all this (it should have been easier to have the Maximal Elders try bring Optimus' crew in for some fabricated crime an the BW cast try to clear their names and maybe learn of the Councils dirty scecrets)

16. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

About this, it seems. After the end of the Great War, and some time passed, they changed their basic forms. They got those onboard computers, the transformation codes, an apparent greater ability to reformat, greater fuel efficiency, apparent greater internal repair capability, much smaller size, apparently weaker weaponry (possibly a side-effect of lesser fuel usage), the almost Insecticon-like ability to eat organic foodstuffs...it's a large array of small changes, as well as the new political groups and philosophy.

I mean really, when Optimus Prime was in change, the Protoform X experiment wouldn't have likely passed muster.

- Coeloptera

17. LadyIronhide

LadyIronhide Autobot Mistress

Fascinating. I learn new things every day.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    They did a few times in BW. However, because of Earth's Energon radiation during the Beast Wars they had so much it was never really an issue until after the alien attack.

And the name change could just be their way of symbolizing their new society.

19. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    This is a little off topic but it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread over: Do we know any of the Maximals or Predacons names before they got their animal modes(Besides Megatron)?

20. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Heres also a major difference. One says "Transform and roll out!" the other just asys "Maxamize!"