What did you think of Slag-a-con 2010?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Moroni Prime, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    As many of you know, Slag-a-con was held yesterday in Chesterfield, IN. at the Mill Creek Civic Center. I personally had a wonderful time, but I can't speak for everyone. Please share your thoughts, comments, opinions, and overall personal experiences.

I'll start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I brought my wife and two of my friends with me Friday. We had made our reservations at the Hampton Inn in Anderson, IN. which is just a hop, skip, and a faceplant away from Chesterfield.

We arrive there about 3 hours behind schedule, but that couldn't be helped as we were delayed leaving Terre Haute.

We get there and meet up with Megamus and his crew at Megatoyfan in their room on the 3rd floor for the first ever "SLAG-A-CON PARTS PARTY".

Scored a sweet haul at some awesome prices, made some trades too. Things finally shut down about 3am, lol.

~~~~~The Next Morning ~~~~~

We get up at the buttcrack of dawn (6am), and head downstairs about 6:45 for breakfast. The Hampton Inn supplied us with cereal, fruit, juice, muffins, biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, and waffles. Wonderful way to start the day!

So about 7:15 we head out toward Chesterfield down I-69. We exit at Chesterfield and then proceed to promptly get lost. We are going down the road, we pass some gas stations, a McDonalds, but after a few minutes I begin to worry and I say to my wife, "Honey, Those are cows, WHY AM I SEEING COWS?!". (lol)

So we turn around only to realize that there is a Dollar General in view on the other side of the railroad tracks. I figure that must be a business district, so we backtrack a few blocks and we find a gas station (Murray's, or Moogle's or something like that, can't remember). They tell me to continue down THIS road (I was right afterall), and it would be on my left.

Sure enough, less than 5 minutes later, we were there. We pulled in next to this big white van belonging to Captured Prey (sweet ride Sidecutter). Once inside we promptly disperse outside the dealer room where I meet up with Chad. He shows me around the place, needless to say, I'm impressed. Turns out we had issues with the buzzers used in the Trivia and Combiner contests so sadly those were cancelled.

I continued on into the dealer room, and took out my pride and joy, my MISB Masterpiece Grimlock, and then proceeded down to the autograph session. I waited in line not but a few short minutes before it was my turn to meet GREGG BERGER. I also happened to have my video camera on hand, and was lucky enough for him to wish my lil' nephew a Happy Birthday on video. We talked for a couple minutes whilst signing Grimlock, about him, about working with Benjamin "SCATMAN" Crothers, and then I was off. If I had more hands, I'd have brought my other stuff to be signed by the rest of the guests, but that would have to wait for the 2nd session that afternoon.

I head back to the dealer room, and place my new treasure carefully into my "swag-bag". I then pull out the camera again and take a tour of the place, and of the dealers, making sure to give them a friendly plug as I go. Once that's done it's time to go shopping! Scored a sweet 2007 (G1) Jazz loose from TFMarketplace, a Kabaya G1 Prime kit and Omega Supreme Trackpiece from Captured Prey, and loads of other great stuff.

Chad and his family and friends were also kind enough to supply lunch for cheap! Sloppy Joes, Chili Dogs, Chips, Soda, and more! I myself just had a plain hotdog with mustard and a diet rootbeer.

Later on that afternoon it came time for the 2nd autograph session, and while going through my "swag-bag" to fetch my 2007 Brawl and 2007 Starscream ( for David Sobolov and Daniel Ross to sign ), I discovered something I completely forgot to take to Gregg Berger for him to sign, my 1986 F.H.E V.H.S. T.F.:T.M.! (That's 1986 Family Home Entertainment Cassette of The Trans Formers : The Movie). I promptly grab it up along with Brawl and Starscream and get in line (which is much longer by this point). I don't think Gregg Berger could believe his eyes when he saw my tape. He seemed taken back by it.

So after that it came time for the VA panel next door. There were a few questions here and there, but most of it was the three VAs carrying a dialogue between them. Very great stuff! Heard some stories about how they got started, their favorite projects, and even some stories about how Frank Welker would prank the other VAs, or the guys in the booth. There was one question that stood out in my mind though. One guy asked Gregg Berger regarding the recent TFW2005 poll on the next TF series Shout Factory should tackle (Headmasters) and that if they got the G1 VAs back together (what ones are left), if he would be interested. He said "I'd love to".

What a great way to end the day! An overall wonderful show. My wife and I had a great time, and very much look forward to next years show! I would like to send a special thanks to:

Chad Williams and Family: All of this was possible thanks to you.

The VAs (Gregg Berger, David Sobolov, Daniel Ross): You helped make this show a memorable one, we couldn't have done it without you.

The Dealers: Capturedprey.com, Megatoyfan.com, Allspark.com, TFmarketplace.com, Vaders Attic, and more! You all definitely brought your A-game!

The Fans: If you weren't there, we'd have had more Hotdogs for ourselves! *shakes fists* lol. - Nah, seriously though, you are the heart and soul of this franchise, you help to keep it alive.

ONWARD TO SLAG-A-CON 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Sounds like you had a great time! I went to my first Botcon this past year and I love cons and my wife even had fun I think its the Tf community that makes these so great and I cant wait to spend more time with them.

3. Razorblaze

Razorblaze God of Thunder TFW2005 Supporter

I enjoyed myself at Slag-A-Con. It surpassed my expectations. The organizers did a top notch job at putting this together and making it happen. Meeting Gregg for the third time was great. Meeting David and Danial for the first time was fun too.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So how many people showed up?

5. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    We had approximately 200 people show up from 5 different states.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. Y'know, TransJazz, the old Botcon website claims that there were only approximately 180 attendees to the first Botcon.

I'm just sayin'.

Somebody might be on the road to the big time... :music 

7. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I thought the show was just the right size for a first effort. Too bad about the forcibly cancelled events, but whatchagonnado? Yeah, I woulda liked to stay at the parts party longer, but I got in around ten and had to unload the truck afterward. An earlier arrival is in order next year. Had a great time talking to fans and their families, and looking forward to 2011.

Mike "E"

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Once/if it gets a little bigger I may go. It's closer than botcon (usually).

9. Razorblaze

Razorblaze God of Thunder TFW2005 Supporter

Very impressive.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, glad that Slag-A-Con turned out great. Sounds like everyone had a good time.

Sadly, I was unable to attend, but... if Slag-A-Con will be held again next year, I will definitely try and attend.

11. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I drove down from Iowa and had a good time. Didn't get to buy as many things as I would have liked to (I splurged a hundred dollars on Gundam Wing DVD's eariler in the week), but I did get to buy a Jetpack Bumblebee from Captured Prey and a few random deluxes from some the other vendors. I got my Slagacon comic autograghed by Greg, Daniel, and David. Learned that David had never been to a Steak & Shake before, and he loved it! At the dinner, I heard him saying to Greg that he had to go there again.

I can't wait until next year!

BTW, Moroni Prime, you weren't the only person to get lost trying to find the Mill Creek Civic Center.

12. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought the directions on the website were pretty good. I apologize for the inconvenience. They will be better for Slag-A-Con 2011!