What did you think of Animated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by AniProwl, May 24, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I know the title is pretty vague, but you get the thing.
    Please explain as specific as possible what you thought of the series in general, your favorite moments, your top 10 episodes, your favorite characters, how you ranked the main five from both the Autobots and Decepticons, your favorite human allies and villains, your favorite characters in general, and how it ranks against all the other TF series.

I'll be back to tell you what I thought of it after some shut-eye.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think Animated is a pretty cool series, ehs well-written and has pleasantly stylized characters who don't afraid of having big chins.

3. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Three words: I needed more.

They had the best writers and character designers who not only managed to create reasonable homages to the original characters, but a story that kept us engaged. My top episodes has to be Transwarped, followed by Human Error I & II. The toy line, even though it wasnt hyped, gave us the baddest Megatron short of G1 or Masterpiece.
    It's not the top most in my series picks, but it's definitely in the top 3.

4. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

I have to say my final thoughts on the series were a complete 180 from what I initally thought. I was thinking it was going to be kiddy and extremely poorly done in every aspect. In the end we got very well designed characters and fitting art that flowed in animation. My favorite character of the series ended up being Sari who had an interesting story attached to her and they did a good job on her personality and actions thoughout the series. She grew as a chacter from episode one to Transwarped and beyond. She was a usefull 'human' for once and the series would have been very diffrent without her in it.

I liked theway they added in Blackaracnia, I thought they handled the explination for a beast mode transformer fantasticly. They found a way to please the older fans without performing a WTF momment. The creators also did somethingalmost no other series has done in a substatial ammount to my knowladge, they made the Autobots flawed. From the jerkness of Sentinal, to the fear of organics and Prime's inexpirence at the start of the series made the Autobots feel more real to me. The series also did a great job with backstory and used flash backs correctly.

I also actually liked removing Megatron from the front lines in a llot of the episodes. It gave the other Decepticons time to show their own personality and abilities while making sense at the same time. As a leader he doesn't need to go to battle all the time and put himself in harms way, that's what his pawns are for which in this case were the other Decepticons.

In summary I loved this series and I rate this as my second favorite series just below, if not tied with Beast Wars which was my favorite transformer series. I strongly admire the work and effort that went into making this great series and I hope the staff gets another go at a Transformers series in the future and finally a closing remark, Tom Kenny should voice Starscream from here on out, this dude is the closet to Chris Latta styled Starscream that we can get IMO.

5. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

It was great.
    The cartoons got me hooked (Im a G1 fan, took passing glances at some of the later cartoons, but didnt pay much attention to them).
    The fun stories, those designs that shouldnt have worked, but then it turned out they did SO WELL.
    The characters, all enjoyable.
    The build-ups to epic finales.
    The homages, my goodness, the homages!
    The whole internet thing, like this site, keeping me informed of it all and being able to download them here.
    The fact that it wasnt 3d. It works for transformers, but this worked better.
    The toys, I got one late last year, now I have a whole heap! They are great!

I could go on...

Favorites? Hmm, the thing as a whole. With the main characters, I never thought "oh, an episode about that guy, belh!"
    Sure, I wouldve liked to see some more of the minor characters, some of them were great!
    I guess of the main guys, I woulve liked more Starscream.

One of my favorite TF series. Cant really compare it too G1, I was a different person then.

Although not different enough to not still love a cartoon series!

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome, there's nothing more to say, even the movies "story" and "characterization" better be good this time, but i'm not holding my breath, i think after animated they re going to have very hard shoes to fill, if they can fill them even halfway i will be surprised. top ten eps in no particular order:
    transform and roll out
    garbage in garbage out
    thrill of the hunt
    a bridge too close
    transwarped
    human error
    endgame
    five servos of doom
    megatron rising
    decepticon air

7. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Ok, let's do this.

Great. Fantastic. There aren't words to describe how I came to unconditionally love this series. I love it so good. :D 

I liked the beginning of the series, and how I came to love it as soon as I saw it. I also liked season 3 because of allll the fanwanks. :D 

10. Sound and Fury

9. SUV

8. Nature Calls

7. Lost and Found

6. Mission Accomplished

5. A Fistful of Energon

4. Transwarped Part One

3. Human Error, Part Two

2. Endgame Part Two

1. Endgame Part One

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looked crappy and apart from some cool ideas I didnt like much about the style... but it had a good story.

its main flaw was to set up things up but to just rush the end. E.G the Dinobots a total waste of time and franky I think the insecticons would have filled the role much better. Also the end of endgame was just meh

9. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Out of all the responses, I didn't really get a good detailed summary of what they thought of Animated
    Season wise
    Season 1 was like a roller coaster with some great episodes (Thrill of the Hunt and Lost and Found come to mind) and some of the series's worst episodes (Total Meltdown and Headmaster)
    Season 2 was better with better plot and story although we had just a couple of stinkers here and there. One major gripe of this season was most of the season had those cliched Aesops that kind of ruined the enjoyment of an episode.

Then came season 3 and it was closest to what I consider perfect TF fiction. At last, even its arguably best season had a stinker in it as well as a finale that didn't do it justice at all.

Top 5 best moments

5. The POKE-first one since it was the most successful one
    4. Megatron's revival
    3. Omega Supreme finally revealed- YouTube - TFA: Omega Supreme (I Am Omega Supreme)
    2. Starscream Death Montage- YouTube - TFA: The Many Deaths of Starscream
    1. P over M- YouTube - Processor over Matter

Top 10 episodes would be
    1. Five Servos of Doom
    2. Thrill of The Hunt
    3. Mission Accomplished
    4. Bridge Too Close (Part 2)
    5. Transwarpped (Part 3)
    6. Lost and Found
    7. Decepticon Air
    8. Fistful of Energon
    9. This Is Why I Hate Machines
    10. Human Error (Part 2)

The way I rank the main five Autobots are
    Prowl
    Optimus
    Ratchet
    Bulkhead
    Bumblebee

The way I rank the main five Decepticons
    Starscream
    Blitzwing
    Lugnut
    Megatron
    BlackArachnia

My favorite characters are
    Prowl
    Jazz
    Lockdown
    Optimus
    Shockwave
    Starscream
    Blitzwing
    WreckGar
    Ratchet
    The AeroTwins

How it ranks against other series
    1. Cybertron
    2. Beast Wars
    3. Animated
    4. Beast Machines
    5. G1
    6. RID
    7.Armada
    8 Energon

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    honestly I don't think I needed to write much to sum up my feelings. I liked the concepts but it just looked horrid.

Maybe that's a tad harsh. They went with a minimal look but they failed to capitalise on it. In theory with simple designs they could of had some really smooth animation and apart from the stock transformation footage it was clunky as hell.

the writing was ace. But they failed to make the most of some characters like the Dinobots. Maybe the Dinobots role would of been better filled by the Insecticons? It would of really worked well in the episode with Waspinator and BA. Also they have a bad habit of not really finishing the plots or leaving open some rather WTF holes.

Characters were cool. The idea of a young prime worked well and it was nice to see his character progress. Sentinal was a good move its nice to see a change from the AEC shows that had its Autobots be whiter then white. The Decepticons really shined in this show, Lockdown personally will be one character I hope they bring back.

11. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I love you now.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

Fantastic series with the most memorable characters since BW.

13. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I watched the pilot,it looked like Teen Titans,one of the main characters actually sang "itsy bitsy spider",and there was a "where do babies come from" joke. In other episodes,the Autobots fight lame supervillian parodies instead of Decepticons. The last few anime TF shows were pretty meh,but this show just combined all the worst features of contemporary American cartoons.

On the plus side,Soundwave had glasses like Kamina!!!

14. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Best series since G1 & Beast Wars

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Too be honest, I didn't like the idea of Animated at first, but I grew to love the series. I was sorry to see it end with three seasons with cancelled figures. :( 

16. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not taking time into account, Animated for me has already surpassed G1 and Beastwars.

It had great stories and character development. A more fluid storyline than many shows I've watched. You can watch and enjoy individual episodes and still being drawn to the overall arcs. I liked the individual stories of the main cast. It had things you can look forward to and discuss. It also had characters which you find appealing or invested in.

Its designs are creative, identifiable and expressive. They take some getting used to, but are great. They are also really well suited to telling the story better due to the more simple design.

Its action scenes are modestly good. I think they could've improved on that a bit. And animation errors are easier to spot.

Animated though didn't have a stellar ending with the last episode.

If you take into account time; that G1 and Beastwars were pioneers, using new concepts, new technologies, invented new plot threads and had new characters, animated can still stand toe to toe with them. But I think animated could have been so much more.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I felt it had the potential to be the best series but there were too many one or two-shot cameos and no truly epic battles. They built an extraordinary roster of characters and even had voices for many of them, but were only used sparingly. That's a shame.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I really loved the series. Reminded me a lot of Beast Wars where you wanted to watch every week because the characters were so interesting you wanted to find out what happened next. It was also really cool to have a series where it didn't feel like the Decepticons were going to automatically lose. Even when the Autobots won it didn't always feel like a total victory so the Decepticons could save face as the bad guys.

Also enjoyed the mix of old and new. There was enough to the old stuff that I felt right at home with the series and yet there was enough new stuff to bring the excitement of discovering new things in this Transformers universe.

I never got into the toys which is a shame because they were great toys but I just didn't feel like having to start a whole new ascetic after I'd already collected so many Cybertron and Universe toys.

19. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Man, I was expecting a detailed review from everyone. Instead I get just one sentence or two. I bet Kickback will have an essay on what he though of Animated.

20. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

I must confess, I had serious doubts when I first saw the character art and toys. I was thinking I would never collect this series, now I can't get enough. It was a great show and did a helluva lot better than expected.