What DID you like about, say... Energon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, May 5, 2009.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Anything at all? Anyone? I'll go first then, and let you try and think of something.

I foolishly thought I could watch all 51 episodes of Energon, only to have my arm go numb after... well I lost track after the 45th "Uh?". I then did some research, running a few web searches and reading the hilariously truthful and informative TFWiki pages on each episode.

After I was able to watch a few Episodes of Superlink, which weren't as bad and had some genuine charm to it via some unusually humourous gags and the foolish yet straight-faced-delivered plot. (TFWiki's "lost in translation" section was helpful in figuring out was was altered between the dubs without having to watch each episode numerous times between languages) But it was essentially the same cold, mushy filling, just cooked to near-perfection on the outside, unlike Energon's burnt patches and stale flavour. EDIT: That is to say, they both sucked, but Superlink had like 1% less suck.

Afterwards I looked at the toys I had collected and looked at ones I hadn't. I'm extremely fond of my Energon Megatron toy. I also have weird affection for Snowcat and Demolishor. Most of the Deluxe Autobots have clearly suffered from the combonation gimmick, but it is fun to mix them around and the sculpts are usually well-done. The homages are nice, too. As are some of the repaints.

While certainly the lowest "mainline" in my (and only my) opinion, Energon wasn't totally, absolutely abysmal. I don't want to speak for anyone else, which is kinda why I asked at all. So... yeah, we can do it!/We have to!/Lets go!

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I liked the power link gimmick i could have done with ourtkicker however XD too angsty for my liking

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Cartoon sucked while toys were good. While RoTF is going on , I might beef up my collection with some Energon toys.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Well, the moments when they switched to cel animation instead of the crappy CG (i.e. Inferno's torture scene) were quite memorable in a good way. I wish that that series was fully cel-drawn. Plot would have still sucked, but it would have been easier on the eyes.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Well..... I also like Snowcat (Cyclonus) and Demolishor. They were my favorites from Armada lol.

And yeah the Megatron toy was really cool.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah... I'm going to have to disagree with you there, SL. The toys are fine in my book, some of them actually surpassing coolness. However, I cannot and will never stand the wretched cartoon. Energon or Superlink.

Viewing a large heart form around Mirage, I could not retain anymore of my sanity. The show had to be turned off, but I still to this day enjoy most of the toys. Even the much despised Energon Optimus. For some reason I just like that guy.

Next, make this thread, but replacing "Energon" with "Armada". I'd sure have a lot more to type.

Oh, and I forgot. Kicker needs a good kick to the balls, loosen them up a bit so they can perhaps finally drop. :) 

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    When Energon first came out, I was really excited about it. The toys looked better than Armada's, the shows animation looked cleaner and more accurate and it revolved around one of my most favorite gimmicks...Combinding.

Unfortunately the toys suffered from the Combining and the show was very hard to watch, so Energon is one of my least Favorite transformers series...

That being said it had some memorable moments including:

-The character of Scorpinok.
    -The Return of basic figures
    -Some really nice Homages like Rodimus and Shockblast
    -Omega Supreme

Not all can be hits right?

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I like the Energon Scorponok and Dreadwing/Mirage toys.

9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We all know the cartoon was garbage, but I just have to toss in that the comic was pretty abysmal too.

As for the good-
    ... well, I like Sharkticon and Mirage. :D 

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slugslinger, Mirage, Sharkticon, and Starscream were particularly outstanding. The basics were great, as were the combiners. I found leader Megatron a bit too simple at that size, but liked the voyager version. Not terribly fond of most of the Autobots.

On the whole, I found the toys better than Armada but not quite as good as Cybertron.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  11. Nymyzys

Nymyzys Wailing Your Sorrow

Ebay:
    I recently bought the series, and it definitely had it's highs and lows.

Lows
    - The role of the annoying, obnoxious character was definitely given to Ironhide. If I hadn't been worried I would miss some story element, I would have fast-forwarded through each of his scenes.
    - Ironhide's little group of followers in the later part of the series were completely unnecessary.
    - Some of the CGI felt too "tacked-on". Like the character would be on screen, but look as though they were floating rather than walking.
    - It ends the same way as Armada! Galvatron sacrifices himself to destroy Unicron, though it was Unicron's essence rather than his physical form in this instance.
    - Cyclonus going from a laughing lunatic to a yodeling lunatic. Just annoying to no end.

Highs
    - I found it odd that in a rare exception, other than G1, a human character wasn't completely obnoxious. Kicker was actually somewhat tolerable, IMO.
    - The CG animation in some spots was VERY good.
    - When the CG animation would switch to cel animation. In the previously mentioned torture of Inferno, for example, the cel animation was top-notch.
    - We got some great figures from this series.
    - Scorponok portrayed as a misunderstood, but noble warrior. IMO, he was one of the best-developed characters on the show.
    - Tidal Wave as the Decepticon's village idiot, at least until he was reforrmatted as Mirage. Then, he became a little too.....infatuated with Galvatron.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I too really liked Slugslinger and was surprised at the Hate the he gets from the fandom.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Had you asked this question before Animated, I would've said it produced the best mainline Decepticons of all time IMHO. It was the first time I ever completed a faction, getting every Decepticon that came out. Nearly every Decepticon toy is a real winner, and I really liked the gimmick of the completely optional Energon star and a bonus hyperattack mode. Several of the toys had a great homage factor, giving us our first Shock"wave" toy in years, Slugslinger, Scorponok, and a (IMHO) better Starscream. In addition it's given me my favorite Galvatron figure in Superlink Galvatron G. While Energon Galvatron has the more G1ish deco, I just "fell out of love" with the Leader sized upgrade of both Megs and Galvs, prefering the smaller Superlink size on both. (Yes, even with the Lavendar, I prefer Superlinks Galvatron G.) Until Animated came along, it had also given me my favorite Megatron toy with the TRU Energon Energon Megatron (Superlink Galvatron). Beyond the simple homage factor, there was a host of great new 'cons as well, Sharkticon, Mirage and Dreadwing, Demolisher, and Snowcat. Though limited, even Alpha Q has his merits. Thanks to Wal-mart bonus packs, I was also able to army build a bit with some of the Terrorcons, which made for a really nice shelf display of all these Energon Decepticons, flanked by a small army of Terrorcons.

On the Autobot side, well, it also gave me some gems. However, as we know, the Autobots were hindered with their combination gimmick, and I'm not the biggest Autobot fan, so while I'm sure there were lots of happy Autobot fans, I only got a small handful, but all of them I did get were very nice, with Omega Sentinel and Landquake top the list. OS having such a uniform color scheme and being so big, not to mention he looks nice alongside Brave Maximus due to the near identical color schemes. Landquake was the first figure I ever got that had the Transforming noise and he's just a wonderfully executed toy that's just fun. We also got a nice Arcee, and a fun little jet in Skyblast. Lastly, we did get the only Optimus and Rodimus to ever combine with each other, and equally so, opening the door for a lot of jokes.

As to Energon's cartoon. Well, there really isn't much to say. I'd love an answer on why they took a series that was light on plot then deliberately removed 90% or so of the character development that did occur in exchange for 'uh's', redundant plot summaries, or just awkward and outright nonsensical dialogue. Superlink, on the other hand, was far more enjoyable, but still far from greatness. By far Superlink Episode 6: "Resurrection! Galvatron" is my favorite episode of the series. It's got some great action, solid pacing, good story, a great speech by Galvatron about the nature of being alive after he's called a zombie, and of course, the branding of a defeated foe. I'd almost recommend just watching that one episode, and call that the run of Superlink. ;)  While other episodes had some high points, generally the series was paperthin and often went no where, however at least it was watchable and occasionally had its moments.

In addition, I've got the soundtrack to Superlink, and it's a great Soundtrack to listen while I'm at home or in the car. Of all the series, it's one of the few that has such a strong soundtrack, with so many different themes it's a pleasure to listen to, and so far, it's the only TF series with that honor. (I'm not counting the '86 TF:TM, since that's not a series, and I'll also admit I don't have the music for every series, just a few from that old big music of TF torrent that was/is out there.) In fact, the soundtrack is a lot better then the actual cartoon IMHO.

It's also is the only part of the UT that I watched all 52 episodes of. This is largely due to the fact that I don't (and didn't) have cable, so I was unable to watch any of the US series when they were broadcast. I never got into Armada and every time I tried, I just couldn't stand it. The last episode of Galaxy Force I saw was sometime just before they went to Giant Planet when the person I was getting the episodes from stopped being able to provide them. I never went back to watch the Cybertron episodes, or the remaining Galaxy Force ones though I'm sure with the modern power of the internet I probably can. Maybe I'll do that sometime.

For all of DW and Pat Lee's atrocities, I really did enjoy the Energon comic thoroughly. I'm not really sure why, but I was never able to get into any of DW's G1 comics at all, though the Armada title would hold my interest now and again when I paged through them at the comic store, but Energon on the other hand, I actually bought and enjoyed. I really loved where they were going with the story, and I especially loved how they handled Energon Megatron, from his rebirth to his philosophical and physical bout with Scorponok. Just as there are those who prefer to think of the G1 characters via the comics rather then the cartoon, I think Energon benefits the same way. :lol  Those characters were interesting, they had a plot that was layers of intrigue, and they had some genuinely interesting characters. I really wanted to know where that series was going, and what Councilor Avalons motives and purpose was.

So, overall:

Fantastic Decepticon Toys
    A Few Strong Autobot Toys
    Amazing Soundtrack
    Intriguing Comics

14. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Love the Decepticons.
    Loved Kicker, thought an angsty teenager was better than Carlos. The fact Carlos was the voice of Ironhide made me want to stab myself in the ears with a blunt object.

Bought every single toy in the Energon line, repaints and all. The show was eh, but I loved/loved/loved the toys.

15. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well...the toys were good.

I hated how they ruined Demolisher, Starscream and Cyclonus' characters though.

16. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    One thing that sticks in my mind was the great ships. It is not often that we get large ships that actually look cool on a TF scale.

17. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Megatron's design. Was badass.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yup.

19. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toys are suprisingly good. The first one I got was snowcat, loved it, and then bought every single mold of the serie. The cartoon.......is very eye-unfriendly...

20. AMG

AMG Old School

I liked Rodimus and Shockblast. I don't have the toys, but those two characters were decent.