What did you expect from Regeneration 1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ReximusPrime, Sep 19, 2016.

1. themonkey

themonkey New Member

I would very much appreciate people's opinions on this related question:

I grew up in the 80s reading the G1 comics from issue 1 but stopped before the end.

I was planning on re-collecting these 80s / early 90s issues via the new definitive g1 collection.

I pretty much can't stand digital/modern comic colouring so was planning on stopping at the end of the original Marvel run. Would this be a satisfying end-point or should I buy the regeneration one issues too?

I can see from the replies that not many people are a fan of the RG1 but I have never read any g2 stuff to be annoyed by any plot contradictions.

Thanks

2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Ehhh... I'm about as big of a fan of the original Marvel run as you'll find. I found RG1 to be a bit disappointing, personally. G1 doesn't particularly have a satisfying conclusion (I won't spoil it), but part of that owes to the fact that it's not really supposed to be a conclusion. RG1 does have more of a conclusion (in a way), so if you desperately need closure, then go for it.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Stick to the original run's ending (#80). It seems really rushed and hokey but it's a far cry better than anything in RG1. I used to really enjoy Furman's stuff in spite of the same old character use and stories ending with random unknown threats or WTF mysticim but RG1 just seemed like he phoned it in with very little effort or thought. It's bad fanfic levels of facepalm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Generation 2 was a better ending. But if you're a big Marvel fan, I don't see why you wouldn't read both RG1 and G2, to get all the story.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah I ll take gen 2 as the official continuation despite hating the art to the 9th degree

• Like Like x 1
  6. unicron1986

unicron1986 Well-Known Member

Well I`ll put it this way,the art in RG1 belongs in G2.The art in G2 was awful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    exactly. Rg1 creative team was my dream team. Loved the artist/colorist and the rest of RG1 but hated hated hated the art in G2 .

8. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Maybe because both stories don't fit with each other

9. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah that was the sad thing about it. they really could have done pretty much everything that they did without it contradicting G2 lt really should have bridged the two series . Then they should have done g2 regeneration which would eventually lead to the Beast wars.

10. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Man, I loved Yangier in G2. The guy who replaced him and tried to ape his style, though, didn't do such a great job. Galan? Anyway. G2 WAS SO EXTREME YO NINETIES FTW

11. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hated the art so much but was so happy for the comic to return. Im glad there is fans out there of the art though. I just wasnt one of them

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I was a fan of the idea behind Yaniger's art for Marvel G2. To do something more British, specifically like Bisley's art for ABC Warriors book three (The End of Time/The Black Hole) in 2000AD. Unfortunately, Yaniger's (at the time, at least) reach far exceeded his grasp, and he was in no way able to pull it off. Nor was he able to keep up with the schedule.

Some of Bisley's ABC Warriors:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yaniger was no Bisley.

• Like Like x 2
  13. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Damn that's hot.

And then, Galan wasn't even a Yaniger. =P

14. Transmit Him

Transmit Him Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Reeeeeally late to this, I know, but I was hoping for RG1 to be something much more akin to Hama's GI Joe revival - picking up right where the Marvel series left off and getting back to business as usual (albeit keeping the original time period rather than a sliding timeline like Hama uses). Instead, we got a twenty year time gap and a ruined Earth, which only served to make it feel like any other alternate reality tale and completely disconnect it from the G1 run.

• Like Like x 3
  15. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Agreed; Hama's return has worked out a lot better than Furman's did.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Transmit Him

Transmit Him Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's had a remarkably consistent art team as well. Has Gallant even missed an issue since he joined?