What did you DISLIKE about the Galaxy Force cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thefrozenred, Jan 13, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Like its companion thread, "What did you LIKE about the Galaxy Force cartoon?, we've had a couple weeks of retrospect since the series ended, and I was wondering what everyone thought GF could have done better.

My biggest qualm was that Starscream and M. Mega/Galvatron didn't really reveal their motives for wanting to take over the galaxy. It may just have been because we've seen two consecutive series where Megatron's wanted to rule for the sake of ruling, or because I not-so-secretly wanted GF to end up being a twisted sequel to Superlink, but I was really disappointed that the villians didn't have more of a motivation than those of the past two series. (Same goes for Noisemaze and Soundwave...never figured they'd just be out for revenge, no matter how bad it was)

I also felt that the hunts for some of the Planet Force dragged on for much too long (see: Speedia and Gigalonia). Stuff still HAPPENED, but I wanted a story where big events occurred more frequently.

This may be the pettiest of my dislikes about the series, but the characters' mouths...the faces were rendered EXTREMELY well, but I was irked by the fact that ALL the characters smiled without showing their teeth. This, of course, was because none of the characters *had* teeth, or any visual robot-analogue. It just looked weird, after awhile, to see the same wonky half-smiles.

That said...what did you all dislike about Galaxy Force, as presented in a non-flaming manner?

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. The never ending races on Speedia

2. Stock transformation sequences

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

3/4ths of the Speedia arc. How many races do they need to ahve to determine who will be in the championship... It was just too early in the series to have such a long and drawn out repetice section like that. It got a lot better at the end (And I still see the final race as one of the best moments in GF) but it was just so boring that my attention got diverted elsewhere, and I left GF alone for a while.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This was revealed several times. they both wanted to capture the planet force and use it to recreate the galaxy the way they wanted it to be. Megatron wanted to save the galaxy just like everyone else did, he just wanted to give it one hell of a make-over in the process, weeding out anyone not strong enough to survive the change.

5. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I diskliked the animation and dialogue.

6. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    I'm thinking he said this in one of the earlier episodes...I only started watching the subs from episode 24 onward, and I don't really remember hearing him say anything like that.

But, it IS good to know that Megs had a damned nice motive. :D 

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty much all of it. It makes me sad that I can't sit through a 21 minute TF cartoon anymore without turning it off out of pure annoyance/frustration/etc. Bad dialogue, bad pacing, bad animation (sorry, but the mouths just bug me)...

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    he tells galaxy convoy his plans in one of the last episodes too, the one where he pitches the planet force into the black hole. he even mentions that he doesnt care if his own troops don't survive the changes made to the galaxy.

9. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Oh. I might have just missed that, then, or mis-interpretted what he said, as I was pretty sure all he wanted to do was *destroy* the galaxy, not re-make it.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The only thing I didn't like was how, mostly towards the end, there was a lot of weird Japanese humor. I know that the Japanese sense of humor is different than mine, but I really don't want to see Soundwave using a karaoke machine or Bud teaching Flame Convoy like he's a kindergartener.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That makes perfect sense actually.
    Since the grins from the toys have teeth.
    I know robots aren't supposed to have teeth, but who said they supposed to even have mouths. Robots don't need lips.
    But yea, having some teeth would seem more fitting since they're already characters full of expression and character.

12. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Besides what you guys mentioned above...a lack of continuity with the other two series.

I understand that it's not meant to be...but still...

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    yeah, they did screw up with mouths. they had teeth, sometimes. nitro convoy had some momentarily when he screamed "Lori!" in one episode, and there are a few other occasions. eitherg ive them teeth, or give them none. dont make it random.

14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Granted with the Cybertron dub they are trying to make Cybertron a follow on series to Energon. However in Japan GF was never intended to be part of the Micron/Superlink continuity IIRC. To me its almost like being bummed out that RID didn't have continuity with G1.

Im not trying to be a wise guy and maybe Im misinterpreting you, but I guess I just don't understand what you mean.

That being said I was annoyed by the over use of stock footage esp leaving the base. To me it served no purpose. The Transformation and force chip activation footage I can understand (even though I thought it was over used).

15. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    after starscream became a giant and there was the initial battle with him, his character became less and less prevalent in the series. I thought they built up an awsome character prior to him growing huge (he beat down most of the autobots on earth in order to get the chip square, and then exploited prime's weakness of concern for life) and then his character just seemed to fall apart. He had some major effects on the story line, but didn't play near the role he did prior to gaining the chip square. Only in the last few episodes did his character really shine through again.

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Although, he DID take on Primus briefly, but in terms of being proactive, I got a general feeling that he was just kicking back as well.

Anyway, as I've said repeatedly in other threads, GF could have EASILY been made into a series that had continuity with Superlink. Vector Prime said, "The Grand Black Hole screws up space and time." So, if it was made from Unicron's implosion, and can screw up space and time, it could (plausibly) alter beyond recognition the events of Micron Legend/Superlink. Maybe even alter events to the point where they become paradoxical, where there's a GBH but Unicron never existed and never imploded. No one would know about this, though, save for Vector Prime (who existed outside of the timeline), and Galvatron and Nightscream, who could have been somehow protected by the alterations to the timeline by being at the epicenter of the disaster.

By being a "new beginning," GF could have, in that way, been a sequel to Superlink. Master Megatron would have had a very good reason for wanting to reset the universe (so he could have things back the way he REMEMBERED them to be). And it would have worked *so well,* especially if Noisemaze and Soundwave had been worked into this new story paradigm as agents attempting to secure the Planet Force as a means of re-creating Unicron, thereby rebalancing good and evil and eliminating the black hole (GBH transforming into Unicron or some such).

I understand Gonzo's desire to start a new storyline, but there is SO MUCH they could have done by starting their own story but still respecting and using the two series that preceeded their's. I think GF's story would have been FAR more dynamic if they had written it that way.

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Oh God.... The entire cartoon was a disaster. Bad animation. Bad characters. Bad story.

18. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Save for an occasional over-use of stock animation, I think the animation looked pretty darn good. Seeing the robots walk at least looked a little more natural than in Superlink.

19. Steeljaw

Steeljaw Owner of TF Rebellion.com

So much repitition, mainly the stock footage, but still, I miss seeing an interesting fight scene, Not seeing Leo Breaker and Optimus Combine 13 times do the exact same attack everytime and win.
    Oh wait they witched the arm at one point. so that makes it different woopty fricken doo.
    I understand the need to sell toys and to show off the gimicks but at least try to keep things original and exciting for viewers.
    Well they take the stock footage thing a step further and just change the backgrounds sometimes. Practically all Primes and Megs Punches are stock footage. and Megs back handing scattorshot is used about 3 times just with different scenery one being underwater.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My only real qualms with the series are the way that Speedia took so long to get through, leading to later events getting crammed together, lacking exposition on some very important events (like Soundwave... he almost feels like an afterthought). The other thing that bugs me are characters who appeared, then got forgotten for episodes at a time. Demolishor, for example, had a great story, but his appearances were so infrequent that you kept thinking he'd been forgotten. Likewise Roadstorm plain vanished after his second or third appearance, right until the finale.
    While the show was good at handling its cast, I feel it sometimes left characters by the wayside too much, Soundwave being the worst offender. He could have been done really well if his motives had just a little more exposition, but as it stands Planet X was almost a coincidental detail, and his final fate came over as something of an afterthought.