What determines a person's taste in music?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spartan-117, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about it for ages (five minutes) but I'm unable to find a real answer via Google so I thought I'd ask here.
    What is it that makes one person sing along and dance while the person next to them hears nothing but random noise? Any ideas?

2. Lord Bacon

Lord Bacon BACON DUKE

Taste as a sociological concept is expressed in the idea that certain personal preferences develop as the product of social pressures. Peer taste in music, past exposure to music, and the person's culture's music all contribute to the individuals musical preference.

I also think that maturity is a factor in the music one appreciates.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Penis size.

Small penis = country music
    Below average = rap music
    Average penis = 70's/80's classic rock
    Giant penis = 90's - current rock music

It's a scientific fact.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm an 80s Rock, Classic Rock, and Japanese Anime music guy..

A little Dean Martin and Sinatra ain't bad either..

5. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I think musical tastes are a total sum of a human being. It encompasses everything. Your morals, values, ideas, parenting, nature, etc.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I think that's a hard thing to answer. Pretty much everyone in my family listened to different types of music when I was growing up. My dad listened to oldies. My little sister listened to nothing but country, while my older sister listened to 80's hair bands. My mom loves bluegrass, don't ask me why, but she does. Me, I listen to metal. The heavier it is, the more I love it. I think just some part of you connects to the music. I'm not sure it can really be explained.

And you can't always tell what kind of music someone listens to just by looking at them. I get surprised looks when people hear the music I'm listening to. All the time I hear "You don't look like the type to listen to that.". People usually expect me to listen to country. They think that since I grew up in Alabama, thats what I listen to. I fucking hate country music with a passion. I used to have to go to country music concerts with my parents and little sister when I was growing up. I hated it. I'd always have a walkman so I could listen to Metallica.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

yep

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm inclined to agree, but some of the crap they pass off as rock today should be down between country and rap. Not below country, mind you, since nothing is worse than country.

9. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Hmm, I always believed rockers had the smallest penises known to man.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

i guess i tend to agree

You like what type of music kind of reflects you as a whole. Whatkind of music you like is due to the type of person you are or maybe how you feel/what "stage" or what kind of stuff you're going through in your life [i know when i'm in different moods i'll listen to different bands/music]. Which kinda goes hand in hand with what kind of music you listen to influences your mood.

when i'm sad or depressed i like to listen to maybe softer, more meaningful stuff, when i'm all hyper and stuff i'll listen to rock/metal/screamo/whatever type of stuff.

i dunno. Just all depends on you. I dont think anyone could ever really point out and say "THIS is what makes you like this" so i dunno. You like what you like and you'll notice the main constant in that is *you*
    *shrug*

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have no idea...

In middle school I listened to rap/hip hop...

Then in highschool, I listened to rock in all its forms...

Then in college I listened to rap/hip hop again...

And now I listen to rock in all its forms...

12. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Well personally my only criteria for what I like is whether or not its good music, or bad music. I can't simply dismiss an entire genre of music and classify it as shitty. Not only that but I can't limit myself to just one style, doing so would prevent me from expanding my mind. Imagine reading only romance novels or only watching tv sticoms...you'd be a pretty boring person to talk to. I remember in highschool how I was able to hang out with the band kids and talk jazz and then with the stoners and talk about the latest fugazi or mudhoney album then hang out with the hippies and talk about the allman brother or the grateful dead. I even gave country a chance and found to like a hell of alot of it. Maybe it has to do with my upbringing. My parents were immigrants, so my mom was into latin/spanish/carribean music and my dad was aswell but he also loved alot of American rock, like Rush, The Beatles, CSNY, The Hollies, America and what not. And then I was in orchestra (violin) and fell in love with classical music. I guess as a musician I can find different aspects of music styles to appreciate, thats just me though

13. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

When I was very young, and I was crying, my dad would put on music like Twisted Sister, Wasp, and Motley Crue and it calmed me down, so I guess that's how I developed my taste in music.

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I think I have listened to just about every type of music except country and blue grass. Right now I like hip hop, rap, rock, and pop. But I've liked jazz, new age, grudge, folk, 80's, rave/dance, europop, classic rock, and classical. I guess it's whatever my mood takes me. I can as easily listen to Nirvana as Nanci Griffith or Enya. There are times I'd pop in my 50 Cent CD and listen to its entirely. I guess I am weird like that.

15. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    hmm, this science might not be true for everyone. :wink: 

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Yep. The size of the penis you like to suck absolutely influences musical taste.

17. Lord Bacon

Lord Bacon BACON DUKE

thats a post with TRUE GRIT!

18. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Now that is the truth!

19. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Rap is definitly worse than country.

I'd rather hear about some guy's dog getting hit by his wife's car as she was leaving him with a guitar playing in the background than hear about some guy banging whores and shooting gangstas with some crap deep bass and drums in the background.

20. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I dunno, I'd say they're about equal on my headache list. With really heavy metal coming in at a close second.