What could the focus on movie toys mean for future Botcon exclusives?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    As we know, the movie branded toys are no-go areas for Botcon and the club to use as exclusives. Plus they have their own self-imposed rules of not reusing molds that they have already used for previous exclusives.

So with none or very few of the toys being released these days being able to be used by Botcon, what does that mean for their exclusives I wonder?

I am expecting Botcon 2010 to be a lot of toys from Universe, having already exhausted most of Classics in a previous year. But what about Botcon 2011? Will they use whatever is left from Universe and Classics that they had yet to use by then and fill the remainder of the sets with Cybertron and Energon molds still? 2008 and 2009 used molds from Armada and Energon but I don't really want to see molds from those lines again as exclusives. They're getting quite old now and not in a good way.

Its something to think about. And no, I doubt Animated is an option either.

2. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    One of the last Q&A sessions on one of the sites said that Hasbro has the rights to the movie toys, and inferred (if not explicit) that they can use them how they want. It is too late for me to dig through the Q&A to find them. I still dont personally think that they would use them even if allowed.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see why Animated wouldn't be an option, especially given how popular the series is amongst a decent proportion of the fanbase. There are also a couple of easy repaints they could do to flesh out an Animated set like Deluxe Cliffjumper (remolded BB), Ramjet, Slipstream, Ironhide, etc.

Leaving aside Animated, I think they could probably get a few more years out of A/E/C/Classics/Universe 2.0, but they're going to have to eventually drop that "no reusing molds" rule.

A very important detail that Hasbro left out of their answer was whether those molds could be used without having to pay 'royalties'. For instance, Hasbro owns the rights to the Alternators molds, but can't use them in the future without having to pay royalties to the car companies for using the likenesses. The Movie molds that are based on licensed vehicles would thus almost certainly be out of the question (Bonecrusher, Jazz, others). However, given Paramount's involvement in the Movie franchise, does Hasbro have to give Paramount some cut of the profits if they use the non-licensed Movie molds for anything else in the future? If they do, the BotCon organizers might not be willing to deal with that extra cost and the Movie toys would be out of consideration.

4. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I think the fact that the are dropping revenge of the fallen from the packing suggest that even if some of these bot's look movie styled unless they were in the movie they might not have any issues. Also power core combiners seem to have nothing to do with the movie so they two could well be totally open for FP to use.

Oh crap I just twigged we're going to get another Nexus Prime/Maximus aren't we with the return of 5 member combiner teams.

5. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It means there will be alot of awesome Animated repaints that I cannot afford.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can they even use Animated? I thought Cartoon Network owned a part of the designs as well.

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm ignoring you 'til you go back to being Jimmy Smitts. And as for the question, I am not sure.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I haven't got any animated packing to hand but the simple way to find out is look on the back and see if it says anything about CN in the small print, if not then FP can do as they will with them.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It means "I hope you guys like Classics and the Unicron trilogy molds, cause that's what you're getting."

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Shit...

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    why would FP do a character that hasbro is doing already (cybertron ratchet repainted with head remold)...anyways, i don't care, if they were movie figures i would be happier about the fact that i can't afford botcon exclusives

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    pretty much this id not count on the movie or animated molds for a good few years yet

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been hearing this for a few years, but have often wondered how true it actually is... I wonder if people are confusing it with the fact that Bay got royalties from the movie toys, and that there were licensing agreements in there with GM for certain things. For example, it makes sense that one would have to pay royalties for use of the Camaro mold, but not for the scout biplane.

I can't imagine the team of Hasbro lawyers would agree to an arrangement where the company is COMPLETELY unable to use the molds they designed and manufactured, or that royalties would have to be paid in perpetuity to a third party to do so.
    I remember this as well, and it has continued to make me wonder if the whole "Hasbro can't use them" is bunk.

14. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Maybe a regular Ironhide, but imagine a Botcon vac-metal "Armored-Up Ironhide."

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Hasbro wants to do, yes, but for which we don't have either a confirmed release date/store or even any official/prototype images. Honestly, I'm assuming that, given how Animated is dying off, the line is going to be toast long before Hasbro gets a chance to release Cybertron Mode Ironhide to retail. If that happens, it would be a perfect repaint for FP to use.

16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

There's plenty AEC molds out there I'd be happy to see repaints of. The following are suggested themes/teams:

War Within

Cybertron Ransack as Groove
    Clocker as Streetwise
    Tidal Wave as Broadside
    Titanium Seeker as Triggercon Windsweeper, Micromaster Whisper, Bombburst, Dirge, Ramjet, Sunstorm, Acid Storm, Purple seeker Drone
    Energon Starscream as Purple Seeker Drone
    I always think Cyberton Sideways looks like a WW version of G2 Skyjack

Thunderwing's Matrix Quest Crew

Energon Galvatron with head remold as Thunderwing
    War Within Seeker as Windsweeper
    Cybertron Defence Hot Shot as Ruckus
    Classics Seeker with head remold as Needlenose
    Evac with head remold as Spinister

Bludgeon's Stormbringer crew (could also be used in the War Within lineup)

Energon Sharkticon as Finback
    Cybertron Starscream as Bombburst
    Cybertron Ransack as Iguanus
    Movie Wreckage as Bludgeon

Actionmasters

Energon Divebomb as Banzai-tron
    Classics Megatron with head remold as Treadshot
    Movie Breakdown as Kick Off
    Armada Skywarp as Skyfall
    Armada Hoist as Rollout

Mix the 86 movie with Bay Movie

Energon Sharkticon as Scourge
    Energon Slugslinger as Cyclonus
    Clocker as Hot Rod
    Cybertron Breakdown as Kup/Blurr
    Cybertron Lugnutz as Wreck-gar

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Remember.

Fun Publications doesn't do a set generation of toys. They're not like "We're going to do G1 and use ONLY the molds from Armada!" ... they use the toys that best fit a generation that they're looking to cover.

Animated would be fun, but it's so hit and miss with who enjoys it. Who knows what they'll do. Guess we'll find out!

18. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

They should just hire WhiteMocha already.
    The guy's got at least 9 years worth of ideas useing Universe/classics and UT molds: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/240499-botcon-2010-ideas-digibashes.html

It does have a "as seen on Cartoon Network" thing on it. And then in small print "Cartoon Network and the logo are trademarks of and © Cartoon Network."
    I don't know if that realy means anything in terms of them owning a piece of the royalties for the actual toys, or just the show. But it seems they own some part of it.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:

Now sure, if they had complete freedom to use whatever molds they wanted to each year, there would be no problems. But they don't, they like to give us molds they have not used already. And there are several on your list that have been used in previous years and also a movie toy. Which was part of the point I was making earlier - if there's no new molds coming out they can use and not wanting to use molds they already used, there are not all that many molds they can use.

Try coming up with themes without reusing a mold they already used or movie toys.

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    we saw the proto at comic con from pics of the slideshow