What *could* Soundwave be today?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Somebody, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    Serious question. Given that it's got to be a rough equivalent to the G1 mode - i.e., something you can carry about a "real" version of in your pocket, and must have something removable which can be used for "tapebots" - is there an equivalent? MP3 players are more like self-playing tapes in their own right than walkmans, and SD cards & the like are waaay too small - especially in thickness and the lack thereof - to create versions of Laserbeak, Ravage, et al from them that wouldn't break when someone breathed in their direction, and I can't think of anything chunkier. Is there anything?

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Depends if you allow for a great deal of mass shifting.

And whether you take Soundwave's primary job to to surveilance or communication.
    Communication he'd be interesting as a computer with all the others as peripherials (Lazerbeak as a Lazer Jet printer perhaps).
    Surveilance ... ... ... some inconspiculous vehicle maybe? Or a Stealth Bomber/Jet thingy.

3. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Laptop w/removable drives?

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I like that idea.

If not, the Walkman with CDs could work... There are CD transformers out their, so I can see them being done again.

5. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

A Nintendo Gameboy DS Lite.

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

He could be an EPT....

7. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    How about a digital camera? The memory cards could be the new "cassette" bots ecept they would be cartridge bots now.

8. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking more of a PSP, but same idea sort of.

9. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

If we're talking with mass-shifting: Something like a Nintendo DS or PSP could work. A Blackberry or something similar would work too, along with the other things suggested.

Without mass-shifting: A News van or FBI/CIA surveillance van with various communications and surveillance equipment like cameras and satellite dishes for the minions.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Soundwave was a good concept as a transforming desktop toy in the 80's, just like Reflector, Megatron, Blaster & Perceptor were. But like those characters, he was a pretty ridiculous idea when trying to translate it to a "real" world environment of giant robots that were otherwise jets, tanks, cars, etc. Even with the lame fan-made theory of mass shifting, it still didn't work since mass doesn't go away or increase when shifted, in turn making him either a 10 ton cassette player than no human would ever be able to pick up or a 5 pound robot that the wind could knock over.

That said, I just don't see how his character & name sake could fit into TF lore anymore. Not unless he was turned into a communications vehicle, was kept incredibley small as an MP3 player or something, or just stayed exclusive to the War Within cannon where his Cybertronian bot size vs alt mode could literally be anything that doesn't have to adhere to human/Earth rules of believability & scale.

I always liked the idea that he could be a Hummer with a communications trailer that split into 3 parts becoming Rumble, Ravage & Laserbeak. A fan made a pretty detailed drawing of that concept a while back which looked awesome, but the site it was on seems to be gone now.

11. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

MiniDV camera and tapes.

I really like the laptop idea too!

12. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

It's not hard at all to find an updated mold for Soundwave alone, because the problem really seems to come from people trying to retain his ability to hold minions. Having them as part of the alt mode works, but then there's no interchanging or selecting who comes with Soundwave. You're stuck with whoever got designed in the first place.

Cybertron Soundwave was a very good concept in retaining that minion gimmick, but nobody's been released for his use besides Laserbeak (and Hell Buzzsaw if you want to get technical). A CD player of some sort would also work, and the Kamen Rider Hibiki Disc Animals proved that such minions are feasible, so that's what gets my vote. But then, there'd always be someone who would bitch about the flat and circular alt modes, or them not being flat enough, or .... Point is, there's always someone bitching! :lol 

13. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    You want mass shifting? Make him an Ipod Nano that transforms into a 40 foot bot.

Soundwave could be a microwave or oven. He could have food bots: roast chicken bot and meat loaf bot.

14. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

I could see soundwave as one of the speaker systems that you plug ipods into (with the minions as various ipods). Other than that, nothing really comes to mind.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    that's actually a great idea. Instead of having the cassettebots be things that plug into an ipod, they ARE the ipod, and Soundwave remains big :D 

16. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    There are many things that could work like MP3 players, hand held game systems, camcorders, laptops, and even CD players. On a bigger side a news van would be good but what about a delivery truck. The down side to that is the mini-bots would be boxes but they could come in different shapes and sizes and could theoretically be taken into places like top secret labs that many or all outside electronics would be banned.

The first use of these new modes could be a delivery to Spike and his family. Imagen Ravage transforming right in Spike's hands and killing him. Prime's pissed and Megatron finally could get to Prime in a way he never has before, although I guess if he was that smart Spike would have died years ago.

Other than that my vote is for Omik's idea right now.

17. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Goofy idea: Soundwave turns into a bunch of concert equipment/Band vehicle while Rumble and Frenzy are disguised as band members (possibly split in half to form a four member band). Buzzsaw, Ratbat, Laserbeak, and Ravage are the instruments (two guitars, a bass, and a drum set).

*edit*

Actually now that I think about it, I love this idea! I need a picture drawn, stat!

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I like the idea of a communications van/jeep/base with removable communications equipment that transforms into minions. The problem with stuff like MP3 players, [game system], CD players, laptops, Blackberries, iPods, etc. is that in 10 - 15 years, we'll be back where we are right now: Whatever Soundwave transforms into will be obsolete technology that's unfamiliar to the target audience of Transformers. Soundwave's alt mode type will then have to be updated yet again, leading to "why isn't Soundwave an MP3 player anymore?!?!?" mirroring the "why isn't Soundwave a cassette deck anymore?!?!?!?" we have right now. A communications van/jeep/base is universal enough; like jets and trucks, there are periodic upgrades and alterations, but the basic appearance and construction stays the same.

19. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    a 5 disk cd changer

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I like the news van idea. If you want a mass shifter, I'd go with a PDA. Seems like it'd be just about perfect for information gathering.

Minions don't work too well for either of those, though.